Relictors Army WIP

So, after about 13 years away from the hobby, I got all my GW stuff out of the attic to throw it all up on ebay.

While sorting through everything, I found my old marines and ended up looking online, to see what models were like these days. Well, let's just say I got seduced by all the shiny new stuff, and decided to put together a new Marine army. (All the square base stuff is still going on ebay though!)

I found B&C, and having been inspired by a few posts here, settled on Relictors for my new force.

So far I'm in the process of painting up an Assault Terminator and Tactical Squad, with a Scout Squad, regular Terminator Squad, Dreadnought, Termie Chaplain and some bikes to come after that. I've also finished my "temporary commander" - going to be working on a Shrike-counts-as conversion eventually - need some more bitz.

Now, before I start throwing up pics, I'm aware that my painting is fairly woeful. This is in no way a "showing off" WIP. It's intended to be more somewhere I might be able to pick up some hints from some of the (frankly sickeningly) talented people around these parts. Also, blogging about my progress might encourage me to keep pushing on with painting up the army.

This little fella (first member of my tac squad) was my first completed model after those 13 long years. Far from impressive, but at least approaching tabletop standard I hope.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7190/img1825s.jpg

Temporary Captain:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5039/img1857j.jpg

(yeah, i can't paint faces ;) )

Current progress on Terminator Assault Squad (3x lightning claws completed, 2x Thunder Hammer still in progress)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7994/img2647a.jpg

Mockup of my Shrike counts-as (still waiting on jump pack)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4002/img2649.jpg

It's a small start, but a start nonetheless. Advice, comments and criticism all appreciated!

actually, these guys look pretty good. welcome back to your addiction...i mean, hobby. welcome back to your hobby.

"good" might be a bit of an overstatement ;)

I'll take passable tbh. Although, one thing I am pleased about is that they're better than my models were 13 years back - though tbf I was 14 then

welcome back to the hobby. are you planning on using any of your "old skool" models? or would you like to sell them to me? ;)

hmmm... I don't have a lot of crazy old stuff - at least not Marines... They were the last army I started to collect, and I just caught the advent of the "multi part marines"...

I've got a decent amount of old style Empire and Wood Elves from Fantasy

The two things that I do have which I believe are worth something are the Warhammer Quest boxed set (plus several addons) and Sgt Centurious from the Legion of the Damned

Your painting isn't half bad. Your Relictors look very presentable. You should be proud. Maybe an inkwash to blackline the grey armour? Regarding the shrike count-as, its a matter of personal preference but I'm not a big fan of capes with jumppacks but you have a good start.

Your painting isn't half bad. Your Relictors look very presentable. You should be proud. Maybe an inkwash to blackline the grey armour? Regarding the shrike count-as, its a matter of personal preference but I'm not a big fan of capes with jumppacks but you have a good start.

yeah, as I said above, that's just a mock up... haven't really decided what I'm going to do about the cape yet... might well use a regular Assault torso and throw some purity seals etc on there...

might even take my first venture into the world of green stuff.

And thanks for the compliment about the painting... the armour has had a black glaze over it - might look into getting one of those uber-fine micron pens to have a go at some blacklining...

Maybe a heavier glaze would work better? Apologies for not being able to be more helpful with painting techniques: I'm a "paint-the-dip-on" kinda guy, so very limited expertise. Micron pens aren't bad for blacklining, but can be rather scratchy if not careful.

As for greenstuffing, well you gotta start somewhere, you gotta start sometime...

Good to see someone taking up Relictors. I used to collect them but never played a game as the IA article went out of fashion before i could complete my force. I like the look of yours and with some more highlights and some inking i think they'll come on a treat. I like the shade of grey you have gone for on the tactical marine. I think the captain could do with a lighter shade of grey so he matches the tactical marine. Have you got any plans for daemon weapon conversions? i know the rules don't allow them anymore but it would make for some awesome modelling opportunities. With regards to your colours where possible i'd stay away from gold unless you can tone it down like you have done for your captain. I think grey and boltgun metal/mythril silver go pretty well together as excessively bright gold looks too :P

I've got a few Relictors that i painted about 4 years ago if you want to have a look? I went for a slightly metallic looking scheme.

Good luck with the project, i'll be watching this closely.

Good to see someone taking up Relictors. I used to collect them but never played a game as the IA article went out of fashion before i could complete my force. I like the look of yours and with some more highlights and some inking i think they'll come on a treat. I like the shade of grey you have gone for on the tactical marine. I think the captain could do with a lighter shade of grey so he matches the tactical marine. Have you got any plans for daemon weapon conversions? i know the rules don't allow them anymore but it would make for some awesome modelling opportunities. With regards to your colours where possible i'd stay away from gold unless you can tone it down like you have done for your captain. I think grey and boltgun metal/mythril silver go pretty well together as excessively bright gold looks too :P

I've got a few Relictors that i painted about 4 years ago if you want to have a look? I went for a slightly metallic looking scheme.

Good luck with the project, i'll be watching this closely.

Yeah, I'd love to have a look...

Hmmm... I have to say I hadn't noticed the difference in the shades of grey (I went through exactly the same process for painting both, lol) but now I look at the pics, I see what you mean.

The difference is WAYYY more pronounced in the photos though - it's barely noticeable on the actual minis, thankfully.

As for the gold, yeah, I'll be using it very sparingly, and trying to keep it relatively toned down - it won't be going on rank and file troops for example - just the occasional splash on some Sergeants and HQ units...

As for Daemon weapons, I haven't really decided what to do about that yet - At some point I'll probably have a go - I've got Abaddon's sword lying around, but having looked at it, I'm actually not that keen on how it looks - will keep my eye out for other possibilities.

As for Daemon weapons, I haven't really decided what to do about that yet - At some point I'll probably have a go - I've got Abaddon's sword lying around, but having looked at it, I'm actually not that keen on how it looks - will keep my eye out for other possibilities.

The new plastic bloodletters come with some very nice daemon swords; a friend gave me five of them.

The new plastic bloodletters come with some very nice daemon swords; a friend gave me five of them.

ooooh, interesting... Might have to grab some of those at some point.

hmmm... real life did that irritating thing that real life has a tendency to do, and got in the way, so no completed Tacs tonight :blush:

gonna have a bash tomorrow night, see what I can get done...

This thread is just one of the many reasons I want to start a relictors force, mainly because they are so customisable

Agreed. I'm starting off slow in that regard - getting back into the groove before trying anything too wacky.

The thing that drew me to the Chapter was that pretty much whoever you're fighting, it "makes sense"... you're the bad guys if you're fighting against Imperial Forces, and if you're up against xenos, you are still (in the Relictors' minds) fighting in the name of the Emperor.

I was tempted by the Soul Drinkers for the same reason but, tbh, chose the Relictors simply because I thought I'd have a better chance of making their paint scheme look half decent.

This thread is just one of the many reasons I want to start a relictors force, mainly because they are so customisable

Agreed. I'm starting off slow in that regard - getting back into the groove before trying anything too wacky.

The thing that drew me to the Chapter was that pretty much whoever you're fighting, it "makes sense"... you're the bad guys if you're fighting against Imperial Forces, and if you're up against xenos, you are still (in the Relictors' minds) fighting in the name of the Emperor.

I was tempted by the Soul Drinkers for the same reason but, tbh, chose the Relictors simply because I thought I'd have a better chance of making their paint scheme look half decent.

Agreed, purple looks like such a massive effort to get right, with a lot of trial and error

Agreed, purple looks like such a massive effort to get right, with a lot of trial and error

Especially THAT purple... looks like it would be an absolute pain in the proverbial

You missed it yeah :)

I suggest thinning your paints a little.

Just add a little water to you grey and apply two coats instead of one. That should get rid of the black streaks.

I'd also us a little more control when you apply the paint. Try to keep the black paint in the recesses black. It takes only a little longer, but the addition of contrast makes a marine look awesome.

I also suggest you paint the chest eagles. Looking at your pallet already I'd choose bone, white or silver. White and silver are easier to make look better in a shorter time frame.

I like the idea of that purple sb. I suggest you use black + a little bit of purple for a basecoat though, then highlight with purple.

Good luck and happy painting.

assault termy squad, i am liking the shrike, i have plenty of spare lightning claws, ill give that a try at one point, well done!

originally I tried it with the original terminator arms, but they're just a bit too big - even with a good bit of trimming... in the end, used "normal" space marine upper arms, and cut just below the elbow guard...

Well here are the pictures as promised. I hope you find them useful.

First of all is the commander of my force and his retinue - A Librarian with shard of the monolith (back when you could use it). His retinue are in robes to represent the conclave members of the Relictors' inner circle. I wanted to field apothecaries to represent the Relictors' fear of mutation and the desire to stay purest when coming into contact with chaos artifacts. I also used a mixture of loyalist and chaos bits to make up my marines to represent them salvaging equipment from their foes as supplies dwindled.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictora01.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190480.jpg

Next up are my squads made up of 8 marines apiece under 4th ed rules. I thought i'd give the Sergeants green helmets while the vets get white helmets. I did try enchanted blue and ultramarines blue but it didn't work. Please note that these were never completed hence the basic level of painting but they give a good account of the grey i used.

Squad Marchosias

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190482.jpg

Squad Marchosias doing the conga (it's really so you can see the chapter symbol ^_^ )

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190486.jpg

Squad Amiziras

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190489.jpg

Next up is my favourite sarge, Lauvaticus with 13th company axe

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190495.jpg

And his symbol

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190493.jpg

Next up is the chappy and his assault squad. My vet sarge carries the sword of St. Aquitaine. If this weapon wounded the rest of the mission was fought using night fight rules so it went in the assault squad to get in quick with chappy to re-roll hits.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190497.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/Madman864/Relictors/P5190498.jpg

I've got a few more pics but i don't want to completely hi-jack your thread.

From what i remember the grey i used was:

1/2 codex grey

1/4 chaos black

1/4 boltgun metal

but it was along time ago.

Hopefully that gives you some food for thought. Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Cheers,

Marchosias

thanks for those pics... definitely interesting

I haven't actually FINISHED painting anything in a few days... but have got a bunch of stuff either mostly or partly painted...

Tac squad 75% done

Razorback 90%

Termie Assault 90%

8 man bike squad 40%

got a bad case of painting ADD going on :tu:

Archived