Chaos symbols

Ufthak

Hello all.

Now, I hope it's ok for me to post this here. I would like to ask whether anyone here knows the meaning of the 6 Chaos symbols: the eight-pointed star of Chaos, and the icons of Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Malal.

I've already checked the net for interpretations, but I would nonetheless like to ask again here: Anyone got an idea what the different symbols mean? I'm particularly interested in the symbol of Tzeentch, which seems the most obscure of the lot to me.

Also, can anyone tell me whether the symbols are used outside GW ?(I know that the eight-pointed star is, for example)

Help would be much appreciated!

I don't know about the others, but the Khorne one is a heavily stylised skull. I'd show you how but I can't really be bothered to go edit a pic of the symbol to show you.

I'd guess the

__ __ < brow

__\/__ < eye

/_\ < cheek

| | | | < teeth

Accurate?

My though with the 8 pointed star for chaos undivided, has alway been that it rep the Legion. Since 9 turn to the power of chaos, the Black Legion (Luna Wolves) being the middle, sort of like the Knights & the round table, while the 8 Legion (IW, NL, AL, WB, DG, WE, EC, TS) are the star points.

IP

Thanks for the answers guys :) Though I already know most of that:

Khorne's symbol resembles a skull, or possibly a demon head

Nurgle's symbol resembles 3 pustles (burst or closed), or possibly a fly (2 eyes and a sucker making up the three spots)

Slaanesh's symbol is a combination of the symbols for male and female - therefore marking him as the hermaphrodite he is.

Tzeentch's symbol resembles a flame, or possibly water, or a combinatio of both, or a serpent (which has swallowed something?), or simply pure energy

But can anyone tell me more beyond this? I've read the wildest theories...

I think it was in the novel "Eye of Terror" where a navigator describes the warp as having eight dimensions. That might be the in-universe meaning of the star.

The 8-pointed star of chaos was created by Michael Moorcock, way back in the 60's when he started writing his Eternal Champion novels, most notably the Elric of Melnibone series. I dont know about copywrite, but I would imagine it falls into public domain by now. As far as the symbols for the Demonic Powers, I'm fairly sure that they are trademarked by GW.

Tzeentch's symbol is a comet with an eye in it.

The 8-pointed star of chaos was created by Michael Moorcock, way back in the 60's when he started writing his Eternal Champion novels, most notably the Elric of Melnibone series. I dont know about copywrite, but I would imagine it falls into public domain by now. As far as the symbols for the Demonic Powers, I'm fairly sure that they are trademarked by GW.

The 8 pointed star of chaos is an old Norse/celtic symbol or some such. He hardly invented it, he just popularized it.

yeah the 8 pointed star was some far ancient symbol. usually in whatever culture it was [i only glanced at the book in the library...take that Internet], but it was the odd numbers 3, 5, 7, 9 as lucky, while 4, 6, 8 spoke of portents of dire consequence.

nurgle: i thought it was a stylized version of the bio-hazard symbol:

http://blog.usa.gov/roller/govgab/resource...s/Biohazard.png

tzeentch is like a crescent/comet mapping: again having to do with celestial bodies often observed as portents or a coming change to the scope of the universe, etc etc

I've also heard the Tzeentch symbol is an interpretation of the Tree of Life. The Slaanesh symbol is definitely a sex symbol (as in gender, as Slaanesh transcends both). Khorne's symbol is in fact a skull, and I also believe Nurgle's symbol to be the Biohazard symbol just dumbed down.

I personally believe the chaos star to be a symbol of everything, pointing all ways, like on a compass.

It has been used by quite a few different sources, even by a band called chimera and the alchemy gothic clothing label.

Me, while i play nurgle, went for a star of chaos tattoo on my back, and also have a chaos star ring, my way of showing my beliefs :lol:

We must also remember that the 8'th pointed star exists as a Chaos Symbol in the Fantasy Realm, where there aren't any Legions ;)

In there however there are 8 different Lores, or winds, of Magic, all based on the original Wind, the Wind of Chaos. (Chaos Lores and High/Dark Magic not counted, since the Chaos Lores build on the specific Gods powers and the High/Dark magic on all of the 8 Winds together.)

Unfortunately that theory of mine cracked when GW decided to invent new Lores which they added. :whistling:

TDA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos

Hm...I guess I gotta agree on the Biohazard on for Nurgle - good work guys. Anyone got evidence that the Tzeentch symbol is older than GW? That it's used outside the hobby? As the link further up shows, the Thousand Son Ouroboros is...what about Tzeentch's symbol?

In a WD article about the Kurgan, a tribe of Marauders of Chaos in Fantasy, there was a description of the eight pointed star as the representation of the many paths a warrior can take in life. It could also depict the many paths there are in worshipping Chaos, the paths that lie between the Gods, those to Chaos Undivided.

The symbol of Tzeentch looks to me like a burning eye, or a flame of some sorts anyway. Could just be random mutation given a form of sorts, with Tzeentch you never know...

Thin entire debate could be just another scheme of Tzeentch to sow discort and madness!

8 paths.

Hysh (Light), Chamon (Gold), Ghyran (Life), Azyr (Celestial), Ulgu (Shadow), Shyish (Death), Aqshy (Fire), Ghur (Beasts),

Light, could be seen as weaving the light creating illusions, which would basically be lying.

Gold, (can't think of anything on this one).

Life, giving life obviously, healing, treating the wounded.

Celestial, reading the skies, see prophesies.

Shadow, hiding in the shadows, assassins, rogues?

Death, helping in death, taking care of the dead, guarding the dead etc.

Fire, would more be likened to Red (Aqsh) which would mean blood, bloodshed, fighting.

Beasts, loosing your mind, insanity, becoming a beast, perhaps a bit of slaughtering if together with Aqshy?

The way I see it, using the 8'th original Winds of Magic from Fantasy, and the index of the Dark Tongue (language of Chaos, Daemonspeak).

TDA

Aqshy (Fire),

Fire, would more be likened to Red (Aqsh) which would mean blood, bloodshed, fighting.

Sounds like they might have taken that from "athra" or "ashi" "asha" Avestan for fire ("agni" is Sanskrit).

But it would have nothing to do with blood, bloodshed or fighting. "athra" or "asha" = fire, was a symbol of enlightenment, truth, order and universal percision, the things that would become science and chemistry.

Gold: Could mean purity or corruption though wealth... just to hazard a guess.

Ah, of course! How silly of me. Merchants obviously! Who else is handling all that gold? :P

Aqshy (Fire),

Sounds like they might have taken that from "athra" or "ashi" "asha" Avestan for fire ("agni" is Sanskrit).

But it would have nothing to do with blood, bloodshed or fighting. "athra" or "asha" = fire, was a symbol of enlightenment, truth, order and universal percision, the things that would become science and chemistry.

Well, with Aqshy as the root word, and with the examples given;

-'y (suffix for metal) for Aqshy'y = bronze/brass (Just who just loves bronze/brass now? :) )

-ash (suffix for liquid) for Aqshyash = blood,

-ek (suffix for place) for Aqshyek = battlefield,

-'Phak (suffix for event) for Aqshy'Phak = battle,

With the facts at hand I find the intention pretty obvious. (References is from the previous Hordes of Chaos Armybook btw.)

TDA

hi,

this what i have in mind

eight pointed star is like eight point of compass

with the uncertainity of the warp you can go anywhere and ended up somewhere

and you choose your patron freely

sign of khorne is yes stylized skull

for nurgle it's like biohazard

or in fly variant it's have purpose of single mindedness of a virus

for slaanesh it resemble of male and female sign mixed together but in male sign position

for tzeench it's a fireall, a form of magical power

thanx,

B)

this is probably way off course, as i'm trying to remember if i heard it right and in what context; but i understood the chaos star to represent the 4 main gods, with 2 pairs in opposite directions- i.e khorne opp. Tzeentch & nurgle opp slaanesh. the 4 smaller arrows represented the either 4 minor deities or the infinite possibilities between the 4 main gods...

about metal bands like Chimaira (awesome band, got all their cds- including their latest "the Infection" which is relatively surprising since i live in New Zealand and it's a legit copy) using the chaos star- many bands use its imagery- the most coincidental is Polish extreme metal band "Behemoth" who incorporate the 8 arrowed design in various logos etc, but the lead singer goes by the name 'Nergal'.

Archived