Chaos symbols

Ufthak

Hm, I like the comparison between Chaos star and the Eight-fold Path...

Thanks for the answers so far, gave me some ideas. But can anyone tell me more about the symbol of Tzeentch? Meaning, what it represents, whether it is a stylized form of something else, etc?

• 5 weeks later...

i know its a little late, but the symbol of tzeentch is from Chaos Magick. like the real stuff, not from warhammer. even the name is from Chaos Magick.

he is sort of the same, changer of way-ish. but yeah it's meant to be a serpent with the world inside its belly.... i think.

Thanks for the answers guys ;) Though I already know most of that:

Khorne's symbol resembles a skull, or possibly a demon head

Nurgle's symbol resembles 3 pustles (burst or closed), or possibly a fly (2 eyes and a sucker making up the three spots)

Slaanesh's symbol is a combination of the symbols for male and female - therefore marking him as the hermaphrodite he is.

Tzeentch's symbol resembles a flame, or possibly water, or a combinatio of both, or a serpent (which has swallowed something?), or simply pure energy

But can anyone tell me more beyond this? I've read the wildest theories...

Beyond what? They were created by an artist who drew inspiration from old images / general ideas (take the Eye of Horus as a prime example).

To clarify one thing - Nurgle's symbol when it was first created was slightly different (two circles at the top with the bottom circle actually being lozenge shaped) and was indeed supposed to represent a fly. It was latterly 're-shaped' to be three equal circles.

I had always thought of the 8 pointed star as pertaining to the theory of entropy, that is, that the whole universe is in a constant state of breaking down to something less than what it currently is. Corruption, destruction, death, decay, division: these all fall under the category of entropy. Thus, the 8 pointed star depicts the breaking down of the universe and the different parts falling away from each other. Presumably, the 8 points means something in particular, as they could have really had any number that they wanted.

Alternatively, it could be a stylized version of the ancient Norse sun wheel, which was also used in a version of the Nazi swastika that the SS used. However, I highly doubt that GW would want to be associated with the Nazi regime, so that's not overly likely.

Cheers,

Pegasus

I'm particularly interested in the symbol of Tzeentch, which seems the most obscure of the lot to me.

"Tzeentch is often visualized as the serpent which writhes and twists to represent constant change and this is mirrored in its symbol with curves and points to represent change and conclusion."

Hey...now it's gettig interesting! :)

Hm, I checked out Chaos Magick on Wikipedia ages ago, but I never found any references to the Chaos Gods, ther names or their symbols. as far as I can remember Chaos Magick does not include the belief in the existence of Gods of Chaos...or did I get that wrong? How does Tzeentch/Nurgle/Khorne/Slaanesh and their symbols feature in Chaos Magick?

So...a serpent with a World swallowed. Yep, sounds like Norse mythology to me...What was the snake's name? Jörmundur? Wasn't the snake to consume the world before being slain by Thor in the battle at the end of the ages, Ragnarök?

Tzeentch is more a reference at the Ouroboros from ancient history. The great snake/worm which devours it's own tail, constantly reforming itself, thus creating an eternal existence.

TDA

Archived