Flamers, melta bombs and Shrike

Jangalak

Hi,

I was playing a game with my buddy and a few questions came up during the battle, I have tried to find an answer here or in the BRB and cannot (apologies if the answers may seem obvious to you):

1. A unit with a flamer shoots through a friendly unit to reach an enemy unit, any cover saves? I understand there are no 'cover' saves for flamer weapons but wondered if shooting through a unit to reach them might allow some form of save?

2. If I purchase a 'Melta bomb' for a Sgt, or Capt - do I just get one or multiple uses (the reason I ask is because the Codex:SM states the singular 'bomb' not 'bombs'?

3. If I bring Shrike in my force and want him to arrive with my termies in their LR as dedicated transport - would you think it was ok for me to do this, provided I ditched his jump pack (as I believe you cant transport troops with these)?

4. If a Guard unit is below 50% strength does it automatically fall back, irrespective of leadership test result? These seems totally wrong to me but my mate was convinced this was the case - we both looked at the rules and I think I am right but his certainty has me wondering if I am missing something?

Thanks for the help

Hi,

I was playing a game with my buddy and a few questions came up during the battle, I have tried to find an answer here or in the BRB and cannot (apologies if the answers may seem obvious to you):

1. A unit with a flamer shoots through a friendly unit to reach an enemy unit, any cover saves? I understand there are no 'cover' saves for flamer weapons but wondered if shooting through a unit to reach them might allow some form of save?

2. If I purchase a 'Melta bomb' for a Sgt, or Capt - do I just get one or multiple uses (the reason I ask is because the Codex:SM states the singular 'bomb' not 'bombs'?

3. If I bring Shrike in my force and want him to arrive with my termies in their LR as dedicated transport - would you think it was ok for me to do this, provided I ditched his jump pack (as I believe you cant transport troops with these)?

4. If a Guard unit is below 50% strength does it automatically fall back, irrespective of leadership test result? These seems totally wrong to me but my mate was convinced this was the case - we both looked at the rules and I think I am right but his certainty has me wondering if I am missing something?

Thanks for the help

1. You cannot shoot with Template weapons so that the template touches any friendly models. Period.

2. Multiple uses.

3. No, you cannot simply choose to "ditch" Shrike's jump pack.

4. No, they would not automatically fall back - you still take a Leadership test.

Hope I helped.

Just some minor addendums to eyes crossed correct responses:

1. I assume you meant through the gap of one of your units which you may do as long as the template never goes over their bases. Still no cover saves against the flamer though, but any other weapons in the unit might get them for the unit being in the way. Flamers ignore cover saves no matter what grants them.

4. Once broken they aren't allowed any more leadership checks to rally in later turns(I think one of the orders can bring them back though), that might be where the confusion came from.

The thing is, you must use special characters exactly as kitted out in the Codex. Some give you options, eg. the Khan's bike Moondrakken or Clagar's termie armour, but you can't opt to not take some of their equipment.

Nice thought though.

RoV

Archived