Going to Ground

Just a quick question with hopefully a quick answer

do units that have gone to ground obscur line of sight?

i ask this becuase i came up with a plan in the new guard codex:

Infantry Platoon with 50 Conscirpts and 5 Infantry Squads

you set up them with the Conscripts out the front

with the Infantry Squads (who Combine Up into a 50 man squad) lining up behind

and then the Command squad behind

then the entire 'formation' walks up with the Conscripts taking all the hits as they block the line of sight

and then when you get the INfantry squad within 12 inches

you send the Conscripts to ground and then issue the 'First Rank FIRE, Second Rank FIRE' order and then you unleash 150 shots at BS4

so anyway please answer the question

thanks a lot

Athiair :D

I don't see anything mentioning line of sight in the section on going to ground on page 24, so as far as I can tell it'd be the same as if they were still acting like normal. The only thing it mentions is that 'you may want to place the models lying down' or something, which would affect line of sight, however I'd imagine you'd have to put them back as standing up when you check it anyway.

I've checked page 16 which deals with line of sight, and I can't see anything mentioning it there either.

First a question: How do your guard have BS4? If you are thinking of vets then you need to know that they can't combine squads only the base infantry can.

Second: the going to ground rules say that when a unit goes to ground you place a marker on that unit (or lie the unit down on its side). This is the same as placing cotton wool on a tank to represent smoke launchers. It has no effect on the game play. It just reminds the players that the unit has a temporary effect on it. You could of course move the conscripts to the side when you want the normal guard to fire but then you lose your fire/melee screen. Also you're going to need an inquisitor lord or something to boost the conscript's leadership or they will flee pretty quickly.

Alternatively use conscripts as a screen (not too tight to block LoS) with veterans behind with stealth. The vets will have a 3+ cover save. But then of course you lose the "one squad one order" effect you were going for. Food for thought though ;)

you send the Conscripts to ground and then issue the 'First Rank FIRE, Second Rank FIRE' order and then you unleash 150 shots at BS4

All that shooting would kill one squad, because those 150 shots (being from one unit) all have to go at one target. It might not even do that- 150 bs4 lazgun shots kills 5.5 deathguard. Either way, the whole mess (or at least the conscripts) is getting charged when they finish shooting. Granted, you'll have 50 or 100 attacks, but any competent enemy is gonna charge everything they have.

Let's keep the replies to the question of cover saves and going to ground. Tactics can be discussed elsewhere please.

Cheers

I

Archived