Night Angels

Lt_Kitty

I finally set up my camera. Enjoy!

I am still working on the Night Angel history so I will post it and more pictures later. It is based off the battles I actually fought against some of my friends. My chapter lacks numbers, but makes up for it in veteran marines and close ties with the Mechanicum. Assualt marines make up most of my chapter's troops and they are often seen descending from the skies in the galaxy's darkest hours, hence Night Angels. Of course the Night Angel's nemeses are the Night Lords. I have an epic story planned for that aspect of my chapter.

Anyway, any painting tips or army ideas would be appreciated...

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/ddigiorg/S5000202.jpg?t=1243542997

My Chapter Master, Kaladin. I guess I could touch him up now that I look at it but I am happy anyway. I used the Pedro Cantor model, cut off the PF and put on the Emperor's Champion sword on. Then I used green stuff for the cape. Sorry, no before pictures; I honestly didn't think it would come out enough to make me happy, but it did.

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/ddigiorg/S5000205.jpg?t=1243543190

A sternguard veteran on the left. I am experimenting with sergeant colors right now so I tried red pauldrons. This model used to be my sergeant, but I needed a PF so I made a new one. I think I am going to try a stripe over the helmet instead next time, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be great!

A vanguard on the right. I tried my hand with the light from the plasma pistol. I need to work on the blood more, but I do love the scarabs on the bottom. Like all my models, it looks like I need to touch it up unless my camera is lying to me because it looked fine before...

Anyway, each of my vanguard are "hunters" of certain races. This one is, of course, a hunter of Necron. I'll show the rest when I am done, as always any ideas or comments would be great!

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/ddigiorg/S5000204.jpg?t=1243543046

A standard randomly picked marine and assault marine. For the Emperor.

I think the biggest thing to work on at the moment is the thickness of your paints. You have a good, solid colour scheme and a good idea of colour placement to create a powerful look to your marines.

The highlights are a bit stark at the moment, try mixing them with a darker blue and build up to that colour (assuming you want to go so bright). Also make sure you are diluting your paints when you highlight, you'll find that a thinner paint will flow better and actually create a cleaner line than thick paint will.

Keep up the good work though, hope to see some more soon :lol:

Thanks for the tip. Should I always dilute my paints to get a clean look or does it depend? Also, what is the best way to clean up my already finished models?

Generally, for base, you don't need to dilute.

But when you get to highlighting, you dilute them and it makes the highligh come out cleaner because it lets the undercoat come out slightly making a smoother transition and blending.

nice colour scheme, stick with it it'll look good.

i find that thin layers built up helps even for a base coat. you get a nice colour and it wont obscure the details. also helps you get used to how diluted paint flows rather than ruin your highlights by the paint flowing onto the wong bits :(

most importantly keep practising!

Thanks for the tip. Should I always dilute my paints to get a clean look or does it depend? Also, what is the best way to clean up my already finished models?

Yup, its good to dilute them all the time; although to varying degrees. Basecoats don't need to be that diluted, as long as it doesn't clog, I'd say about 3:1 paint to water mix for basecoats. It will definitely take a few coats on the red to achieve a smooth finish, but it will be well worth it. The blue will be covered evenly much quicker, thats just the nature of the paints.

For highlighting you can thin even more, 1:1 or thinner is good. Don't take giant leaps from the dark armour to a bright highlight, it is better to add more lighter colour gradually.

The problem with thick paint, although it is certainly quicker, is that it obscures detail on the model. Since they're so small, it is important to preserve that detail. You'll also notice that the brush will dry out quickly with just paint.

Don't be frightened or annoyed if the first coat of thin paint doesn't look so good. The key is patience. Wait for the coat to dry, and do another coat. Repeat until you have a smooth finish. I paint a fair bit of red on my marines, and it always looks ugly until the final few coats. For me? The red (blood red) will take about 5 or more thin coats before it is solid, but the look is worth it.

• 2 months later...

Wow this is really odd... i named my custom chapter the night angels...

Our fluff is completely different

my chapter is a great company of pre heresy Dark angels who got trapped in the warp for millenia and recently entered real time...to them it was a few weeks...

blah blah blah limited but pristine terminator armour, not a codex chapter and hates Ultramarines

My chapter symbol is a cresent moon

Codex Gray armour

Brown Shoulders with red gore trim

So yeah pretty diferent

Archived