Inflames vs Glazing.

InFlames

So I decided I would try out this 'glazing' technique that all the kids are raving about these days. I first started doing the helmet following cyril's totorial on CMON. After that failing terribly I did some more research and am now getting the hang of the technique. My micropainting skills still kind of suck, but I'm working on that too. The only parts I have finished are the shoulderpad, the elbowpad and the thigh all on the left side of the mini. I haven't painted any other detail and am not tooo worried about colours, I'm just trying to understand how to glaze at the moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/szolopiak/IMG_0611.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/szolopiak/IMG_0613.jpg

Comments/criticisms/road apples?

I haven't read the tutorial, but a long time ago GW made Glazes. They did not sell well. But I accumulated some and I've pulled off some cool effects with them. You can make a glaze out of a really thin wash or even really thin paint.

I think people just don't go thin enough and they don't do enough of them. When I painted Leperous the Obese. I went crazy with the green glazes. I wanted the model to "glow with inner evil". I wish I had more (all) of the original GW glazes, does some other company make ready made glazes? Yellow is also useful, I own magenta and red too. I think the one I most wish for is blue/purple...

Anyway using a light color than glazing is how I sometimes do faces. I just paint them in light shades of grey than use a thin thin wash to tint the whole face blue usually. It is all about controlling the thinness. Multiple thin washes rather than one big slobber job. Space Wolf Grey helps a lot in this technique as it has some blue in it, at least my pot does. But I just used the lighter Foundation Grey plus Rotting flesh or some Vellejo collor recently. The original Waaargggh Green Ink makes a great glaze too.

PS Linking to the tutorial might be cool ;-)

This tutorial on my next tournament general, Malefactor the Marred used greys with thin purple washes to get this really pale purple thing going. I think that is similar to what you want. I imagine you could use grey and any color, I know purple, green, and blue work... You can even use white in there bleach bone doesn't work so well though...

dont confuse glazes with glazing, they are NOT the same thing

glazes are usually a pastier paint, often filled with medium, and the way they work to glaze is different as the added medium makes them much mroe transparent, they do not thin as much or the same as paint

glazing is simply applying transparent layers in succession to build up transitions of colour

that being said, the blending work on the above model is good, but as you are also using texture effects you arent gonna go for a super smooth blend either so...one thing to keep in mind to get smoother blends is to cross hatch, or just not paint in the same direction every stroke, because you will create brush stroke blends where lines appear simply because of the direction youve painted in, if you cross they cancel each other out

the next biggest and most common mistake is people get so into blending they forget about contrast....the less contrast the easier and quicker it is to blend, but the less contrast and depth! your piece isnt bad, but theres too much of a jump between the shoulders and the head, gotta remeber where light comes from in order to highlight effectively :)

Alex

starks->Two things. 1)The helmet was painted separately from the rest of the stuff. I'm just working on a single section of the armour at a time and using what I learn and incorporating it into the next section I work on. The helmet will be repainted and was my first failed attempt at glazing. 2) I'm not to sure which textured effects you are referring to.

Edit -> here is the link http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/288/page/1

Archived