A Tale of Four (Chaos) Gamers

Preysight

Dear wretched, foul and Chaos-tainted filth,

Hi.

Essentially, I'm in a bit of a tight spot when it comes to 40K. I've not got a huge amount of time or money at the moment (which is a state I suspect many of us are in) but things aren't bad enough for me to consider quitting this insanely expensive hobby. I'm in for the long haul, and dead happy about it.

But I'm at the stage where it's time to admit I absolutely suck at raising a painted army without other people doing it at the same time. I'm about to move house, taking me a long way from my current nexus of gamer pals, but besides the occasional photo of a finished Salamander Tac squad, they're not that great at updates and progress reports, either.

So I turn to you.

My Subjugators (10th Company) force is too expensive and time-consuming to maintain any longer - I paint slow, and I can't stand the Scout heads, so every squad costs a lot more with Cadian respirator helmets from Forge World... - and I want to go back to my real passion, which is Chaos. To this end, I've headed in here today to propose a plan and see if there are any other slacker souls like me waiting around and seeking a similar project.

-- The Concept --

The Tale of Four Gamers articles in White Dwarf have always been my favourite parts of the magazine, and I'd like to recreate it online, either in a thread in this forum or a shared B&C Blog. Since I timed my decision so badly, I've missed the Call of Chaos III, otherwise that would have been pretty cool, but this idea could be more close-knit and personal anyway.

Essentially, I'm thinking of trying to find 3 other people to set up a shared thread here, and provide photo updates and written commentaries every 1-2 weeks as we assemble our Chaos warbands. I'd also hope to include fluff instalments, and maybe get some Index Astartes articles done about the various armies - especially if they were, for example, the four warbands that prosecuted a particular battle.

I might try to make it a general power armour deal and include loyalists if there's not enough interest in the Chaos section - it might even be cool to set up 2 Chaos armies and 2 loyalist ones, so we'll see. But overall, I think 4 warbands from various Renegade Chapters or Legions would be an interesting read, as well as being a great motivator. It would rock if all four of us were raising armies from the start, especially if we all chose Chapters or Legions that weren't too common.

But anything goes, really.

As regards to my own skill: I kit-bash convert a little, I'm a complete Green Stuff amateur, and I paint slowly and neatly, but haven't actually painted much yet. I'm at a comfortable tabletop level, and my guys look decent enough for people not to shout abuse.

-- The Brotherhood of Darkness --

For my contribution, I want to raise an army of these guys: Brotherhood of Darkness - Lexicanum

My angle on them is that they're a renegade warband made up of former Night Lords, which stands to reason given their name (Nostramo was a planet forever shrouded in night), and their symbol (which is almost exactly the same as the Night Lord Legion).

So, to cut a long story slightly shorter: Anyone interested, or am I wasting my time and should just wait for the next Call of Chaos? =)

Sounds like a great idea, Preysight. I wish I had the time to be able to dedicate myself to it, because I'd certainly join up if I did. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to seeing were this project goes.

edit; 300th post! Yeah! Lurking at its best!

I'd be interested in doing this myself. But currently I'm not able to post pictures mainly due to my main computer being in the shop (hard drive broke) and until I get it back I can't get pictures off the only working camera around here.

I was thinking of giving a few weeks' grace period for the gang to sign up, confirm and get ready, etc.

I need to move house in about a week, myself. My girlfriend will be less than thrilled if the first thing I do is unpack the painting station and get to work on that first squad, but I think somehow love will survive such a tragedy.

Alright sure then count me in definitely. I'm actually working out all the units right now for having a full Chaos Warband for my DIY Legion. And I should have my computer back in 2-3 weeks.

You know, I hate to sound like I'm jumping on the band wagon after I've said one thing, but... sign me up. I'm working on my Night Lord warband, Raiders of The Veil, using a generic Night Lord color scheme. If you think that'd work with your idea, Preysight, feel free to include me as well.

I have finally gotten around to painting the various chaos models that I have acquired and mutated over the past few years. I've got a Black Legion Unified Cult concept that I want to base around a Chaos Glory Deamon Prince/Lord. Lord if I want to go competitive as the model for Deamon Prince is Balrog, not allowed last I heard. Will locate the camera and post picts...warning most is WIP!

Still no word on my computer but it's been just a little over a week, this computer that I use in the mean time is too old and stupid to get any pictures off except a webcam that likes to freeze up a lot.

But yeah, still on the go for a 1st July start

I'm more than cool to make it into A Take of Six Renegades.

Catchier Title, anyway.

So, loose FAQ for discussion:

-- "July 1st: What's the deal there?" --

Good question. July 1st is the start-date. On that day we announce our plans for the coming month - i.e. what we'll have done by August 1st - and explain a little about ourselves and the Renegades we're working on. The intro issue, basically. Doing colour schemes on the B&C painter might be a killer way to start with some images while everything is still unpainted.

Progress photos or updates are desirable every few weeks, and on August 1st, we should have at least 1 squad (5+ models) [or 1 tank, or 1 character] painted and ready to show. A little lore/fluff would be cool, too.

-- "What's the monthly commitment?" --

As a general rule of thumb, shall we say:

- 150 to 1,000 words of lore for the final Index Astartes articles.

- 1 Troop, HQ, Fast Attack, Heavy Support or Elite choice.

-- "Where's the thread?" --

I'll make one on June 30th, probably calling it "A Tale of Six Renegades" or "A Tale of Six Traitors", depending on the final number of those of us getting involved.

I'm more than cool to make it into A Take of Six Renegades.

Awesome,in that case i'd definitley like to participate.

Thanks. ;)

July 1st is the start-date.

Thats really convieniant for me,my Birthday is the 2nd and i plan on adding a fair bit to my growing Black legion army. :D

All the rules and deadlines seem fine with me.

I do have a question though.

I've actually already painted 1 squad of marines and another 5 marines for squad 2 are WIP.

Will i still be able to use these as my first months worth of models to be painted?

I could always paint something extra for the first month,such as my terminator lord,to make up for me having a small head start.

Cheers,

Mike.

if i hadnt alredy got 2500 pts of black legion id do it but this will be interesting to observe

(plus if i was doing it id get a model done every month im really slow at painting , well i really mean bothering to do it when i get started i paint 1 bl marine every 1-2 hours

Well, if you've got room for one more, I'd be willing to jump aboard. I've got some expansions to make to the Burning Eclipse anyway. Perhaps try to recruit an 8th player and make a really cool "Chaos Star" graphic, with each person at the tip of an arrow? Just a thought. If not, I'm just as happy observing.

I may be able to throw in some as well. My Night Lords are playable, but Im adding to my roster as it was a 4th ed army list and I need some new stuff to balance it out to be viable in 5th ed games. Notably Im adding more troops, a land raider, and probly some rhinos. For fluff I should do some raptors too I suppose....

Things keep going the way they are, we might as well just call it 'The Eight Fold Path'. Has anyone thought of contacting one of the admins, and seeing if we might be able to get this little gig some support or make it a little bit more official? Or do we just want to keep this a quiet friendly sort of thing?

Well, either way it makes no difference. The only thing that might happen with the Admin's notification is that they'll get us a tad more publicity, which is not why we're doing this. We're in it for the personal sense of accomplishment (or at least I am, don't mean to speak for others!). And the thing about having eight people, is that you have to make sure that they will be able to commit to this, not just drop out two months in. But then again, things happen, and there's no way to assure someone's commitment.

Archived