Consolidation Question

Kronk

During a recent game, this scenerio came up. I think we resolved it correctly, but I want to be sure.

During my turn, I assaulted some tau in close combat. I did not kill all of the tau, and they made their morale check, so we remained locked in combat for his turn.

During his turn, I killed the tau and consolidated my squad 1d6" towards another of his troop squads that did not fire rapid fire or heavy weapons or participate in their own assault. Could my opponent have assaulted my squad right then with his other troops? I know that I cannot consolidate into a squad and then assault again. But can I consolidate (as a result of a winning assault) towards my opponent's troops on their turn and they assault me again?

I figured no. If he wanted to assault me, he should have moved his troops up and assaulted while I was still locked in combat. Otherwise, my squad will have been in 2 seperate assaults.

However, I want to be sure.

No, they could not have. All assaults have to be moved into contact, and then all resolved. He'd missed out on the chance to charge your guys at the beginning of the Assault Phase, and therefore could not have done so after the combat your Marines were locked into resolved. The Tau would have had to have moved up and charged into the existing melee to be able to attack you in hand-to-hand.

well...no

as me and friends play the game we first make charging moves, then play them out. if you happen to consolidate within 6 inch of his troops with it he cant then assault, as he already made his charging moves. kind like warhammer fantasy.

As far as I am aware, all the phases are actually happening to all the units at the same time. So say this 5 minutes of time all the units are in assualt phase. They all have the chance to move and fight. At the end of the fight you consilidated to end the assault phase. the other unit spent their 5 minutes of assualt phase doing nothing useful but the time was still expended so they don't get to assualt.

edited for bad grammer

Archived