my sketch/ink

That Marine is looking pretty alright, but I think it's the ork that's letting you down here. Maybe you could try sitting a miniature of one in front of you and drawing it? That way you'll get a bit more familiar with the forms that make up what an ork looks like.

First of all I'd say that rotating your image when you save it is really quite simple. Even MS Paint has image rotation options. It is pretty distracting to have to turn my head so much.

On to the actual content, I actually think you've got a good idea of composition and pose. The comments about the Ork's anatomy are justified, I think drawing with a reference, like an actual ork model or a picture of one, will help a lot in that regard. You can see where the head is mean to go and such.

The first tip I would give, is start drawing your characters with a skeleton wireframe

It is kinda long, but you can skip around and just see how they construct a human character.

As has been said, the marine is kind of lacking a crotch or butt area, it may not be a dignified area to draw, but it exists nonetheless. :) Once you practice drawing a bit of human anatomy, you'll get the hang of what goes where really quick.

This website is also a great resource for learning how to draw a human shape. Albeit a little messily organised.

This may seem annoying, but it will address a lot of the issues you'll encounter as an artist. One example is the right arm of the Ork, it is noticeably short, even for human proportions. Orks actually have extremely long, ape-like arms which almost drag at the ground.

I'm pretty impressed that you took a stab at source lighting, which is actually quite accurate. One thing I'll say is that not every armour plate needs to go from shadow to light. At the moment you've shaded it as if each segment was 2D, an example being the Ork's left breastplate. The breastplate is directly facing the light, so it wouldn't need black shadows around it. The checkers on the Ork also are 2D, try making them wrap around the contours of the surface they are on, like his chest or helmet. Both his chest and helmet are 3D objects, and as such, a pattern like checkers will appear to be distorted around the surface.

Anyway, there are a few more things I could elaborate on about the shading, but at the moment try to get the anatomy and proportions down, and you'll start improving in leaps and bounds :) Hope to see more art soon!

Archived