Vehicle Squadrons,BrB, immobilization, and Apocalypse

Alright, so this past Saturday I was playing a Lucky-13 Apocalypse game, and as usual, had a 4 tank linebreaker squadron on the board. Well, I set it up exactly where I wanted it, where it wouldn't have to move pretty much the duration of the game...and of course it was a fire magnet... so this is where the problem started... one was right out destroyed, leaving 3(the minimum for the squad) alive... so they immobilized another one..and said it was destroyed because it was part of a squad because that's apparently what the rulebook states?

I know in 4th ed if the unit didn't move out of coherency with the immobilized one, it could still sit and fire with them, but if the new rules are like they said, then doesn't that effectively ruin ALL vehicle squads in Apocalypse, especially for armies that seem to live on them(like guard and tau).

So if anyone has any input, I would be grateful and appreciative....as well as much better off in my next Apoc. game taking a couple of Baneblades, or a handful of LandRaiders, as opposed to my terrain destroying Linebreaker...

Precisely. Your friends were talking about the rules for vehicle squadrons (like land speeder squadrons). Those rules do not apply to Apocalypse formations, where vehicles are not actually part of the same squadron.

For the record, in 5th ed, the squadron rules work as such: All "stun" results become "shaken," but all "immobilized" results become "wrecked." These somewhat balance out, although overall I think it's worse for vehicles to be in a squadron. The point though is that you will never be in the situation where one vehicle can't move, thus anchoring the rest in place. Also note, if the squadron is reduced to one vehicle, it ceases to count as a squadron.

But again, not applicable to Apoc Formations.

The names of units or special rules never have any impact on the actual rules. The important part is that nowhere does it say they follow the rules for squadrons, nor does it give any indication that they do. They're just several individual tanks that need to deploy near each other.

Archived