Huron Blackheart

Am considering adding Huron Blackheart to my collection.

As the sub-title implies, I'm curious if people find him good-decent-bad, worth the points, etc. Any tactical advice re: his use? Does he work well w/ particular units, not with others?

Basically, give me all your Huron Blackheart data - good, bad, or otherwise...

Thanks in advance.

I'd say he's on par or slightly better than a with a Space Marine Chapter Master, without a Relic Blade. The heavy flamer makes him pretty scary for lightly armored units, he has both a power fist and power weapon which means he gets the best of both worlds with his warptime ability. He's an intimidating unit, and that makes him a target, he should be among a big unit that can soak up the fire directed at him. If they're a dedicated assault unit, that's icing on the cake.

Him having a PF and a PW make him pretty versitle and of course the WT make him good in hth.

Can't go wrong with a hvy flamer, he's the only character in the game that can have one as far as I know.

Him having a PF and a PW make him pretty versitle and of course the WT make him good in hth.

Can't go wrong with a hvy flamer, he's the only character in the game that can have one as far as I know.

Vulkan.

quick question regarding his use in 5th (dont have my rulebook at work), can he split his atacks between the PW and PF?

Ive been thinking of giving him a go against orks this weekend, should prove fairly mean. from the army entry alone, he seems to be a souped up chaos lord for a decent price. my intent is to run him with bile, and stick him in a unit of enhanced warriors.

quick question regarding his use in 5th (dont have my rulebook at work), can he split his atacks between the PW and PF?

Ive been thinking of giving him a go against orks this weekend, should prove fairly mean. from the army entry alone, he seems to be a souped up chaos lord for a decent price. my intent is to run him with bile, and stick him in a unit of enhanced warriors.

No, he has to pick one and make all his attacks with it.

Thanks, everyone. Keep the data coming!

No. pg. 42 rulebook. "Two different special weapons" (last thing on the page)

he seems to be a souped up chaos lord for a decent price.

I ran the math on his "cost". Ignoring certain rules, like how the Chaos Lord can only get one special weapon, and using costs listed in both the Sorcerer and Lord entries... If you simply start with a lord and add all of his kit (PW, PF, Familiar, WT) I believe it came to just under his actual points, maybe like 5 points less than his listed cost - BUT, there was no heavy flamer cost to draw from, so that is easily those last 5 points.

In other words, if a Lord/Sorcerer COULD take what Huron has, he'd cost the same as Huron himself, if not more.

Again, thanks, folks (but still hoping for 'more' on the subject).

my intent is to run him with bile, and stick him in a unit of enhanced warriors.

Forget bile, there was a thread not long ago about him and most seemed to think he wasn't that good (me included) also you don't need 2 expensive SC in the same army. You want to put him with an uber hth squad make it brzrkrs, they better at hth (and cheaper) then biles boys anyway.

i have used a count-as huron in multiple games, and i am very pleased whit him, (he even got a cople of man of the match awards)

his flamer is good for everything not in power armour, his sword is good for mariens and his fist is good for characters and everything whit t5 or above, warp time gives those hard neaded re-rolls (noting so iritating as missing whit a fist)

his flamer is good for everything not in power armour,

How is a TL'ed hvy flamer not good against pwr armor. If you position him right you can easily fit 8 guys under the template, str5 + reroll pretty much = autowound, that's alot of armor saves he has to make.

Thanks, everyone. Keep the data coming!

No. pg. 42 rulebook. "Two different special weapons" (last thing on the page)

he seems to be a souped up chaos lord for a decent price.

I ran the math on his "cost". Ignoring certain rules, like how the Chaos Lord can only get one special weapon, and using costs listed in both the Sorcerer and Lord entries... If you simply start with a lord and add all of his kit (PW, PF, Familiar, WT) I believe it came to just under his actual points, maybe like 5 points less than his listed cost - BUT, there was no heavy flamer cost to draw from, so that is easily those last 5 points.

In other words, if a Lord/Sorcerer COULD take what Huron has, he'd cost the same as Huron himself, if not more.

Again, thanks, folks (but still hoping for 'more' on the subject).

If you flip back a page you get the Terminator listings and they state 5pts for Heavy Flamer so yeah, Huron is exactly worth the points he's priced at... I've been tempted to run him in games previously too, anyone got tabletop experience with him?

its just a heavy flamer, not TL.

my intent is to run him with bile, and stick him in a unit of enhanced warriors.

Forget bile, there was a thread not long ago about him and most seemed to think he wasn't that good (me included) also you don't need 2 expensive SC in the same army. You want to put him with an uber hth squad make it brzrkrs, they better at hth (and cheaper) then biles boys anyway.

oh, I know most dont like him, this is not really the place to discus bile, but the game is a friendly one and we are both taking 2 SC (I belive my oponent will be taking Wazdakka, grotsnick and/or the komando guy). besides, I want the squad to have acess to more than a plasma pistol, Huron seems to be a multi-purpose model, and I want his unit to complement that.

going off topic, how is a berzerker cheaper than an enhanced marine? I'm prety sure they cost 3 points more....

Does warptime allow him to reroll the to wounds on the heavy flamer?

yep

IIRC, WT allows re-rolls of everything - hits, wounds, and saves. AND is not limited to shooting or assault.

So agree, "yep". ;)

Guess that makes it a "TL" Heavy Flamer after all - but only if the power is "on" (beware Eldar Farseers w/ Runes of Warding).

going off topic, how is a berzerker cheaper than an enhanced marine? I'm prety sure they cost 3 points more....

8 brzrkrs = 168 pts

8 enhanced csm's + bile to make them enhanced 144+160=304

getting up near double the cost.

don't forget you have to add the cost of bile. and other then enhancing the csm's he doesn't do much.

since you know you are fighting orks, bile (w/no PW) isn't as useless as he is against pwr armor, but the int.4 and no invul still really hurt him.

if I had to use 2 SC's it would be blackheart and Khârn.

As to what unit to put w/ blackheart if you want special weops, I would use reg csm's IoCG. If you wanted alittle more punch you could give them IoK.

Bile and his enhanced just do not impress me, then add in that if you roll a 1 or 6 on the enhanced table something goes wrong and you either lose 3 guys (on adverage if you roll a 1) or lose a guy per turn (6-7 by the end of most games before the enemy even touches them.

There are just better options in this dex.

Does warptime allow him to reroll the to wounds on the heavy flamer?

yep

IIRC, WT allows re-rolls of everything - hits, wounds, and saves. AND is not limited to shooting or assault.

So agree, "yep". :(

Guess that makes it a "TL" Heavy Flamer after all - but only if the power is "on" (beware Eldar Farseers w/ Runes of Warding).

Warptime only lets you re-roll hits and wounds, not saves.

Huron is an interesting character, but he suffers from lack of mobility and of course instant death. He seems like he'd be fun to play with, but i doubt i'd bring him to a tourny.

ok, I can see how you say that, but bile does have his uses apart from the EW's. but, again, not the place to get into that. :lol: (in short, I'm the kind of chaos player that likes bile, dreads, spawn and possesed)

good call on WT+the heavy flamer. I pull that trick on WoC, dont know why it didnt translate in my brain.

Dont like him he has several drawbacks:

Power fist and powersword. These are simply not great weapons, you normally would not give your lord this. Sure warptime makes a bit up for it but still, like already said he is not really cheap and you kinda pay for every upgrade.

Slow... No option to take wings just hurts.

A big no for me.

lack of moblity for a unit that does stuff only in hth or short range is a problem . ugly model too. I remember some really nice hurons made durning the years . Game wise weak , with sub standard weapons for all the choices he steals from [you never arm a lord with fist or power weapon and if you take a warp time sorc you give him wings etc].

He isn't a daemon prince so I don't see why lack of mobility is that bad.

Agreed.

I understand and completely agree this guy *should* be in CC. But, you don't have to have wings/j-pack to be "mobile". Right?

He can still ride in a transport; being the leader, I'd say a Land Raider (move, disembark, flame, assault - all in the same turn).

And if said ride gets popped early, he can still run. Ok, so this is not a *great* way to be mobile, but it is a decent 'back-up plan'.

I believe I'll have to give this guy a run or two.

He can still ride in a transport; being the leader, I'd say a Land Raider

so to make him work like a normal hq with wing you have to pay extra 230 pts[more then the cost of another HQ , that would make your army twice as mobile as a single unit in a LR], am I understanding that right? instead of just runing 2 hq with wings we should run one [less targets for enemy so easier to counter and for us less ways to counter stuff] .

Archived