Dark Angels and Grey Knight allies

The other day during a game with me using a Grey Knight Grandmaster as an ally in my Deathwing, a question popped up.

When using the Daemonhunters codex it's widely accepted you use the old rules in the codex, for example the assault cannon and force weapon rules. But when using Dark Angels it's generally accepted that you can use the new rules for storm shields etc. So at first glance you'd expect to have to use the new rules for Grey Knights if you're using the new rules for Dark Angels.

However what I thought, was that the Dark Angels have been FAQ'd on this situation and it encourages opponents to let DA players use the new rules. However the Daemonhunters codex has not been granted this type of update and so I thought due to that, it means that I can use the new rules for DA and the old rules for Daemonhunters.

What do the rest of you think?

The faq in question (for the DA) says you can use the new gear only if your opponent lets you, and that strictly speaking you use what's in the DA codex.

The situation would obviously (to me anyway) apply to DH as well.

If your opponent at your flgs lets you use the new gear with your Dark Angels, you can ask him if you can use the new rules with the Knights as well.

Just remember that your opponent doesn't have to let you use any rules that aren't in your codex, and don't go to tournaments expecting to be allowed to.

(Although admittedly it's kinda funny when someone shows up to a tournamanet and starts crying because his friends let him do something so why won't the people running the tourny do the same...)

Personally I don't like the new ss rules, and they're even better when mixed with Grey Knights or Mixed termi squads, so you'd probably get a no vote from me, but again (and far more importantly) whatver your friends agree on is fine for your own games.

From an allies point of view, any GK units you take have to follow the rules in their own codex (DH) while the rest of your list follows their specific codex (in this case DA). Outside of that, your opponent's permission is required for anything else.

SJ

Thanks for the replies, here are some responses :D

If your opponent at your flgs lets you use the new gear with your Dark Angels, you can ask him if you can use the new rules with the Knights as well.

Just remember that your opponent doesn't have to let you use any rules that aren't in your codex, and don't go to tournaments expecting to be allowed to

The odd thing is that I would rather use the old rules for DH and the new rules for DA (Force weapons and Storm shields respectively) and I'm not a tournament player so I don't worry about not being allowed to use the new rules or not etc.

It is not generally accepted that Dark Angels use the new wargear.

What I forgot to mention is that at my local GW it's accepted that you're allowed to use the new rules so don't worry about whether or not I can use them. :P

The key question is do I have to use the new rules for DH if I use the new rules for DA or due to the lack of the update for DH (unlike DA) can I use the new rules for DA while still using the old rules for DH?

Then it's new rules for DA as you are allowed to mix and match with C:SM, existing DH Codex rules for DH. BTW the GK also have their own FAQ that it might be worth looking at.

Technically this might never really be an official rules question anyway, because generally you can do whatever you want provided you get your opponents permission for it beforehand :). As such, personally I find the vexed hotch-potch issue with the DA Codex particularly trying ;). But nevermind.

Cheers

I

Archived