Blood Angels Questions (Unit Abilities & Selection)

Ricter

Alright, I know that if I were to play Blood Angels (or a successor chapter), I would have to use the 5th ed C:SM, and the 4th ed BA minidex. However, I'm confused as to how these two books interact exactly.

For reference, I last played 3rd edition, and am new to 5th.

Are we allowed to take Scout Bikers? AFAIK, they existed in 4th, but were omitted from the Blood Angels dex, which would imply that the Blood Angels are now allowed to use them. Basically, are BA's allowed to use the C:SM entry for ANY unit that isn't in the BA dex?

The whirlwind missile launcher has no entry in the BA dex. Does it use the C:SM one?

I assume we don't benefit from the cost reductions of various units (Drop Pods, Vanilla Predators, etc) nor the cost increases of other units (Tactical Squads). We also don't get any of the updated options, such as Assault Cannons on a Razorback. Is this correct?

Do all of our marines gain the Combat Tactics special ability, or are Blood Angels unable to use Tactics in combat?

Are we allowed to select Chapter Masters and Captains? What about Command Squads? These all have "similar" entries in the BA dex, but does their different names mean we have new options?

I also assume our Librarians are limited to the powers from the BA dex, correct?

Can we used the Unique heroes from C:SM? I've noticed a lot of other marine players mixing characters, but I haven't seen a BA player do it. However, I can't seem to find a rule anywhere that actually forbids it... if so, and our marines don't get Combat Tactics, how does Chapter Tactics work with Blood Angels?

Scout squads had their WS/BS nerfed. Blood Angel Scouts are just that much better? Except they're not actually Scouts per the ability?

Any other related changes / nuances I should be aware of? I'm just starting 5th edition, and I haven't played since 3rd. I've read the rules, but still not very familiar with the changes there.

Also, I'm not exactly sold on playing my Blood Angels again. While I have quite the army for them, are they actually one of the stronger armies in this edition? I'm considering trying something new, such as Black Templars or Raven Guard, or playing my Orks or CSM again. Any thoughts there on how the game is?

Thanks for your time, if you managed to get through this whole mess.

There is a White Dwarf PDF Codex that BA is supposed to use. There is no mixing with C:SM, the only dex that can at the moment is C:SW. If you PM me I should be able to email you the C:BA PDF.

Thank you for the links to the BA pdf, but I have that already. To be clear, when I was referring to the BA dex, I was refering to the 2007-08_5th_Edition.pdf.

I assumed it was like the 3rd ed codex, where you were able to use anything from C:SM that wasn't overwritten by the BA dex. It seems that was incorrect. Thanks for the clarification.

So basically, despite marines getting loving, Blood Angels don't get to play along? It doesn't seem like they really changed much from when it was released in 2007.

Also, a side question. What do you guys use to make army lists? I used to use army builder, but it seems that all support for that product has vanished.

Sadly no. The only minidex left is space wolves, and rumors are its days are numbered.

Note you get the new rules for a Cyclone Missile Launcher and Rhinos, arguably, because they have no entries for rules anywhere in the codex.

As for making army lists, I use a Pencil and a Peice of Paper from a notebook 99% of the time, pen if Im going to a tournament. Just doublecheck your math and enjoy- no fees, no fines, no viruses.

Thank you for the links to the BA pdf, but I have that already. To be clear, when I was referring to the BA dex, I was refering to the 2007-08_5th_Edition.pdf.

I assumed it was like the 3rd ed codex, where you were able to use anything from C:SM that wasn't overwritten by the BA dex. It seems that was incorrect. Thanks for the clarification.

So basically, despite marines getting loving, Blood Angels don't get to play along? It doesn't seem like they really changed much from when it was released in 2007.

Also, a side question. What do you guys use to make army lists? I used to use army builder, but it seems that all support for that product has vanished.

"New and Improved for 5th Edition!" apparently means little more than a retitled file.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. It seems like somehow I'm going to have to scrawl out my army lists, at least they're simpler than before.

Disappointing that they couldn't at least even up the discrepancies. Oh well. I guess I'm going to have to look at other chapters or my Orkz for now.

Thanks again for the help.

Archived