Question on vehicle squadrons and then one on flamers.

veidin

Two questions. One, in the case of squadrons of vehicles such as Leman Russ tanks, for instance if a Land Raider blows one up with one of the side las cannons can the other one continue to fire at the next tank since they are technically a "squad" and not seperate independant targets?

And the second question. When using multiple flamers in a squad, do you lay both templates down first then roll to wound, or lay one down, wound, lay next down, wound?

1) The land raiders guns will fire at the same time, not one at a time (unless you're using Machine Spirit, in which case you can fire at another target anyway). They will target the squadron, not any one tank in particular. You decide what armour you're hitting based on the closest vehicle to you. After you've rolled to-hit and to-pen, your opponent divides up the glances/pens among his vehicles, distributing them as equally as possible. Then you roll on the damage table for each vehicle separately.

2) You lay down one template, roll to-wound, lay down the next template, roll to-wound. Then your opponent distributes the wounds as normal, rolls saves, and removes models. In practice, you might as well just lay down the first template, count how many guys are hit, do the same for the second template, and then roll all the to-wounds together. It accomplishes the same thing and goes a bit faster.

Well Aidoneus has it down really.

1. Yes.

2. Technically you should roll or your "to hit" dice together therefore in the case of flamers or other template weapons you should count all your hits first then roll all your wounds at the same time.

Cool got it, how bout different weapons for instance my grey knights. So we should be rolling to hit for the Storm Bolters, Psy Cannon, and then roll the to wound for both of those + the Incincerator. Then my opponent assigns which models are taking what wounds and rolls his applicable saves if any?

I think we been doing it wrong. For instance Id roll to hit with the Storm Bolters, and then wound. Hed roll his saves, then Id do the next weapon example the psy cannon, roll wounds hed roll saves then do the incinerator, roll wound. then saves.

The shooting phase sequence, BBB pg 15:

1 Check LOS & pick a target

2 Check range

3 Roll to hit

4 Roll to wound

5 Take saving throws

6 Remove casualties

I generally calculate flamer/template hits at the start of step 3 and use different coloured dice to track different weapons.

The important thing, however you go about doing it, is that all template hits, 'to hit' and 'to wound' rolls are made before your opponent allocates any of them and takes any saves.

Cool got it, how bout different weapons for instance my grey knights. So we should be rolling to hit for the Storm Bolters, Psy Cannon, and then roll the to wound for both of those + the Incincerator. Then my opponent assigns which models are taking what wounds and rolls his applicable saves if any?

I think we been doing it wrong. For instance Id roll to hit with the Storm Bolters, and then wound. Hed roll his saves, then Id do the next weapon example the psy cannon, roll wounds hed roll saves then do the incinerator, roll wound. then saves.

Yes, you have been doing it wrong. :D

Like you say in the beginning of the post, all weapons fron any one squad shoots and wounds (if succesfull), and then all the wounds are assigned.

Archived