Noobie question regarding jump packs

Khavos

I'll preface this by saying I've never played a game of 40K in my life, and am just now getting into the hobby. If this is an obvious answer, feel free to hit me with a clue by four.

I'm trying to create a somewhat fluffy list - that isn't horribly broken for the odd game or two I'll probably play a year - revolving around drop pod assaults/deep strikes. I'm essentially trying to get a list together that has no treads. To that end, I've been trying to get everything that isn't a scout unit either drop podded or deep strike capable. When looking over the jump pack entry in the SM codex, it states that any unit equipped with a jump pack becomes jump infantry, and can deep strike to represent being dropped from a low-flying Thunderhawk. My question is, does that apply to a SM Captain with a jump pack, or is there some rule in the big book that I missed stating that an HQ unit has to be on the table during round one?

What I'm driving at is having nothing but infiltrated scouts on the table to start; half my pods arrive in round one, as I understand it, then every round thereafter I'd roll to see who makes it in as reinforcements per the deep strike rules. This is probably suicidally stupid, from a gameplay standpoint, but I'd like to see if it's possible.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can see how it would be dumb, but purely from a fluff standpoint - and again, I'll probably actually play with this list I'm building a few times a year at most, so losing won't suck too bad - it just seems weird that my captain would be down wandering around the battlefield solo with a couple scouts.

Here's another one; rather than deep-striking him with a jump pack, if I have vanguard vets in a drop pod, and the captain was attached, would he get to go down in the same pod?

indeed, a transport can cary one unit and any number of independent characters up to its model limit (transport capacity). I am not positive, but i think there is a scenario or two that requires the compulsery units (HQ+ 2 troops) to be in play at the start, but that is a scenario limit, not a limitation on the unit itself.

indeed, a transport can cary one unit and any number of independent characters up to its model limit (transport capacity). I am not positive, but i think there is a scenario or two that requires the compulsery units (HQ+ 2 troops) to be in play at the start, but that is a scenario limit, not a limitation on the unit itself.

You're thinking of the Dawn of War deployment method, and that is not required. You can deploy UP TO one HQ and two Troops units. But you can elect to leave everything off the table of you want, as the wording states "up to..."

Archived