Vendetta Base Height

Hey there,

I was playing against a friend's imperial guard army last night and we were stumped by the base height of the Vendetta.

Seeing as though it says the Vendetta is a skimmer in the rulebook is the base just to support the model and the base would actually be only 2" off the ground like a Tau's skimmer such as a devilfish or hammerhead.

The scenario was he wanted to shoot my Terminators but there was a tactical squad in front of those terminators, seeing as though it was a skimmer it would surely have to shoot through the tactical squad otherwise, you could base hammerheads like the current Vendetta and nothing would ever get a cover save because the base is so high. So my question really is do you shoot from the base, which would have to shoot through the Tactical squad and give the terminators a cover save, or would you shoot from the actually Vendetta.

I just can't see how you could shoot from the actual vendetta because you could make a custom stand for anything that's a skimmer, such as landspeeders or anything and it would be near impossible to get a cover save from their weaponry. My other point is you could actually shave down the base of the vendetta to the appropriate height, possibly making the model unsupported and look stupid but it would be correct for a skimmer.

There is also the question about range. Since you should measure to the hull for range, meltaguns from infantrymen will not reach melta range against them unless they are directly under it...maybe not even then.

The problem here is a bit more far reaching and again, yet another example of how underdone the TLoS rules are. Since the Valk is a transport, models embarking & disembarking must be placed within 2” of the hull. This isn’t possible given its unique flying base.

Take this for what it’s worth but the Bell of Lost Souls guys came up with the following rulings to govern their planned tourney event:

Q: Can I use my Valkyrie or Vendetta without a flying base?

A: No. Any Valkyrie or Vendetta must be mounted on a flying base similar in height to the one supplied in the current Games Workshop plastic kit, and have a base no smaller than the one supplied in the current Games Workshop plastic kit.

Q: Does a Vendetta have the same transport capacity (and restrictions), fire points and access points as a Valkyrie Assault Carrier?

A: Yes.

Q: What do I measure from when firing at, disembarking from, or passing near a Valkyrie and Vendetta?

A: For the purposes of armor facing, disembarking, and the 1" rule, only count the hull of the vehicle -- ignore the tail and wings. For determining range to the model, use the model as normal. Ignore the height of the model when embarking or disembarking; models get in and out of Valkyries and Vendettas at the height of the base.

Q: How do I assault a Valkyrie?

A: Move into contact with the base of the model. Moving under the model to reach the base is fine.

So take this for what it’s worth, not official but at least practical ways of ruling in this case.

-OMG

In the game of 40k, you do not measure in 3D. As far as measuring is concerned, the game is flat. In this sense, you do not measure diagnally down for shooting from buildings, shooting at high up targets, or any range what-so-ever. It would be ineffective to do otherwise, and simply stupid.

If you must, measure to the base.

It is neither ineffective, nor 'stupid'. Nowhere in ther rules do they tell you *how* to measure, in regards to horizontally Vs vertically or diagonaly. You simply measure from the closest point to the closest point, angle does not matter and is never stated as mattering anywhere. The game, for any purpose, is not 'flat'.

wouldn't you target a valkyrie/vendetta like a flyer seeing as it is one and measure to the base and add 12"?

Not if its an IG valkyrie/vendetta, as theyre skimmers not flyers.

In the game of 40k, you do not measure in 3D. As far as measuring is concerned, the game is flat. In this sense, you do not measure diagnally down for shooting from buildings, shooting at high up targets, or any range what-so-ever. It would be ineffective to do otherwise, and simply stupid.

If you must, measure to the base.

It is neither ineffective, nor 'stupid'. Nowhere in ther rules do they tell you *how* to measure, in regards to horizontally Vs vertically or diagonaly. You simply measure from the closest point to the closest point, angle does not matter and is never stated as mattering anywhere. The game, for any purpose, is not 'flat'.

The problem here is that it can be argued either way. All of the rules for “True Line of Sight” clearly denote that the rule applies in three dimensional space. See the illustration on BRB pg. 16. After the rules speak at length to tracing TLoS that way, it fails to carry that over clearly when determining range.

Although, most of the rules for measuring range indicate that measurements are taken from, model-to-model and then even further goes on to be even more granular with vehicles. For them range is determined based on the literal position of the vehicle’s weapon mounts and fire points. When shooting at vehicles, you always measure, to the vehicle’s hull, which is therefore defined by the shape and position of the vehicle model itself.

So if you always measure from model-to-model and models can be placed on wildly different heights of terrain it seems like measurements are to be taken literally, as they exist in real space.

So are the rules 3D for determining LoS but only 2D when determining distances?

Models like the Valk indicate to me that GW didn’t quite thing this one through in every case.

-OMG

So, the guys at BoLS are going for the same thing I've been pushing since the thing came out and we all saw it had an actual 'base' like all infantry and (most) walkers. 'Measure to the base!' ;)

No, they're saying "measure to the model". They're also saying that you can assault the base but that's standard skimmer rules.

• 3 weeks later...
I also had a small issue with the Valkerie base height but it it involved landing an orbital bombardment on it. Basically my opponant said if I missed with the centre of the template (which I did) I don't hit it at all, even with the edges of the template still hanging over the modal. He said something about the missile impacting on the ground and the valkerie flying too high for the explosion to do damage. Was this dude right? Do ordanance weapons miss skimmers completly if the centre of the blast marker misses? I don't have the rule book with me so I can't check for myself, can someone clear this up for me pls.

If the hole of the template is over the body of the skimmer then it takes the hit as normal. If not the hole but some of the template then it takes a half strength hit. He may be thinking of apocalypse fliers which can't be affected by templates at all.

Archived