Terminator Armor

adam_dup

There is a rule that seems to float around my club and I want an independent opinion. The rule is thus:

Models who have been given the terminator armor gain plus one attack.

Now the explanation for this goes, I think, like this: Terminators have +1 attack compared to normal space marines, therefore when an independent character wears terminator armor he gets an extra attack. Now I had never heard or read of this before and am wondering what you all think?

Example:

Chaplain has two attacks. If he equips terminator armor he gains an extra attack.

In 3rd and 4th Edition Terminator armour automatically included "terminator honours", which would grant the wearer an additional +1 attack. It was also possible to buy terminator honours separately and simply grant the character the +1 attack without the need for terminator armour. Regular sergeants had the same profile like a normal marine, but by giving them terminator honours they were upgraded to a veteran sergeant and could now get additional wargear.

The more recent marine Codices have changed the system how wargear is bought and how sergeants work. There is no more "terminator honours" item (you now can assume that all commanders and veterans automatically have these honours), and the terminator armour does not include it anymore either. Terminator armour now does not grant any attack bonuses. The only exception are the Black Templars with their older Codex. They still have an armoury and can still get terminator honours for their characters. Space Wolves have an old Codex too, but they were never able to get terminator honours (their characters all have the bonus attack automatically included, so in a way they too still get it).

In 3rd and 4th Edition Terminator armour automatically included "terminator honours", which would grant the wearer an additional +1 attack. It was also possible to buy terminator honours separately and simply grant the character the +1 attack without the need for terminator armour. Regular sergeants had the same profile like a normal marine, but by giving them terminator honours they were upgraded to a veteran sergeant and could now get additional wargear.

The more recent marine Codices have changed the system how wargear is bought and how sergeants work. There is no more "terminator honours" item (you now can assume that all commanders and veterans automatically have these honours), and the terminator armour does not include it anymore either. Terminator armour now does not grant any attack bonuses. The only exception are the Black Templars with their older Codex. They still have an armoury and can still get terminator honours for their characters. Space Wolves have an old Codex too, but they were never able to get terminator honours (their characters all have the bonus attack automatically included, so in a way they too still get it).

Unfortunately, our characters now have one attack less then in previous codices. Back then it was possible to gain a character with 6 attacks. 3 base + 2 cc weapons + termi hounours + charge. Now we are stuck with 5 max.

So I assume the terminator honours are indeed gone.

It should also be noted that for Grey Knights, terminator armor does also grant +1 attack, however, this bonus does not affect Inquisitors

That's a bit misleading as the bonus is already included in the GKT / GK heroes profile as stated in the DH Codex p19, they do not gain a +1 attack in addition to their terminator armour profile, which was where the OPs question was coming from.

Cheers

I

Unfortunately, our characters now have one attack less then in previous codices. Back then it was possible to gain a character with 6 attacks. 3 base + 2 cc weapons + termi hounours + charge. Now we are stuck with 5 max.

So I assume the terminator honours are indeed gone.

actually, in 4th ed you could with aid of phychic power go right up to about 8 and with a chaplins special squad up to 9. 3 basic + CC weapon + charge + phychic power (+1-3) and if you add the once per game relic thing you could cap 9. All that with a power weapon (ok force weapon but it dind't matter back then, you had your one power a turn). So basicly you could range from anything (depending on your phychic rolls) of a min of 5 attacks without charge and 6 on the charge. Ah, good old mauling of marine units, good times, good times (I only ever capped 8 attacks, never went with a chaplin but adding him in would be quite nasty). Oh well now we're with might of the old foggies (em,I mean anicents) and having more balance HQ choices (key word, more. Not completely)

Archived