Another IF thread

Hi

I have returned to the 40k universe after almost 15 years of absence. I have decided to paint an IF army, and just wanted to show my test-minis, and maybe get some feedback.

I have painted 2 different versions, one with a traditional red IF chest eagle, and the other with a white one, and can't really make up my mind which one to choose.

OK, here goes, first minis in 10 years (C&C welcome)

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/Machinegod72/IF_test.jpg

You're ridiculous... after 10 years absent..your painting is still better than mine... =-(

Both are good, maybe you could have the chest eagles be the squad designation or something.

That blue dude looks really good too. Pictures of them all I demand!

They're brilliant! Love the yellows, they are bright without being ridiculous and they have deepness.

Weathering should probably be more random, I mean, they both have the same dent on the shoulderpad and kneepad, but other than that is perfectly executed, dig the bullet holes!

Alas, I have to say the black detracts from the overall work, you have subtle lights on all the other parts of the minis but black seems to be simply edge highlighted with grey.

Good job! Keep 'em coming!

They are indeed brilliant. Could you explain how you did the weathering? That is quite outstanding in being just the right amount, not as over the top as many otherwise excellent painters tend to go.

As for your choice, I would choose the red one, because it will give a better overall look to the army, the white making it look too bright. Another colour you could try is black, although that would make them very similar to many other chapters that have yellow as their main colour.

Thanks for the replies, as for the armour damage I used the tutorial made by kaple http://kaple.dk/?page=tutorials&id=81.

I think I might go for a white eagle with a brown/beige background instead of the blue background which tend to make them too bright. (But they are the Emperors light, aren't they ^_^)

The black is just a single grey line, I will try to make it better.

Well these are pretty much awesome. I like the weathering a lot. I personally prefer the "original" red chest eagle, as it provides a little more contrast. I think white should be reserved for first company and perhaps command squads, things like that. Anyhoo, awesome job especially for not having painted anything for that long. I'm just coming back to the hobby myself and I know my minis don't look anything like that! Keep it up ^_^

Yes I'm priming white before painting. I tried around 10 different methods of painting yellow, including black -> yellow, before I ended up with this one, which has the advantage of being pretty fast (for a yellow color that is)

Archived