Pre-Heresy Actual Scale Space Wolf

Doghouse

I started this thread over in the Horus Heresy Forums but in truth it's probably better off here in WIP.

Commander Lucien Enoch

The idea behind this guy is that he is a proxy for Colonel Straken. I don't want to go into too much detail here as it's guard related but needless to say Straken has a profile that is very close to a marine.

To me one of the most interesting aspects of the Legions is the Terran marines and how they would react to the recruits from their new homeworlds. Personally I can see some clashes occuring as old traditions are thrown out in place of new and I figured this would be the ideal opportunity to address one such clash of ideals.

So to sum the character up I've wacked together a brief intro:

The servos in Captain Enoch's bionic arm whined audibly in protest as he lightly keyed the door access panel to admit him enterance to his private quarters.

It had been ten long years since he'd lost the limb fighting greenskin boarding parties whilst commanding the Restitution during their exploration of the area of space known as the Wheel of Fire.

Despite the artificers request to replace the out dated augmentation he had always refused the upgrade. To him it was in memory of the lives lost during the pacification of the system, a grim reminder that no matter how many victories the Space Wolves won in the Emperor's name the Astartes were mortal and could be brought to their knees just as any other man might.

Even in the darkness of the room his heightened senses easily picked out the familiar form of Gravele.

"What's this, they finally sent someone to deal with the old man once and for all?" He snorted with contempt as he passed his hand over the rooms illumination controls.

"And it's a pleasure to see you again old friend!" Gravele laughed as he rose to his feet from behind the old wooden desk that stood with it's back to the cabins starboard viewport.

"What do you want Gravele? I have no time for your games boy." Enoch unbuckled his sword belt and placed it on the arming rack that held his old mark one thunder armour before unbuttoning the neck of his tunic.

Out of habit he ran his hand across the surface of the suit's carapace, his fingers brushing across the oiled surface of the thunderbolt icon embossed apon it's battered chest.

Each pit and bullet mark bringing back memories of battles fought and victories hard won.

"Why do you revere that old armour so much Lucien? It's little more than an outdated relic of a forgotten time, why do you insist on clinging to the past?" Gravele smiled to himself as he poured a second glass of Merican Almac and offered it to the Captain.

"Tradition, should we forget the deeds of the past then we are doomed to repeat our mistakes and pay for them in blood." Enoch said solumly as he took the drinking flute by it's long slender neck "The Regiment was built on honour and duty something that seems to have been forgotten in recent times."

"You speak of the Fenrisians?" Gravele read between the lines.

"They are little more than barbarians, they howl and bray like wild dogs. They know nothing of martial discipline." Enoch walked across the room to look out the view port as he sipped the Almac.

"You live in the past old friend, you should be more careful of what you say about the Primarch's people, they are our brothers now. There are those that say that you are losing sight of the objective of the expedition, there are whispers that you have out lived your usefulness." The concern in Gravele's voice was evident.

Enoch laughed gruffly.

"And what would you know of tradition boy? You joined the Regiment as we left Terra for the stars, you never fought in the Unification Wars..."

"For the grace of Terra Lucien!" Gravele snarled "This isn't the Regiment anymore, those times have long since passed, we are the Legion now!"

"And what has it got us?" Enoch barked in reply "Look at yourself Gravele, you hang wolf pelts from your belt like those Fenrisian animals. The crusade has always been about the pursuit of truth yet you embrace their feral practices as if they were your own." He slammed his fist in anger cracking the surface of the ornate desk as one of it's legs gave way sending it crashing to the floor.

"These barbarians embrace the flaws of our gene-seed, gathering these freaks together in the thirteenth Great Company! In my day we put them out of their misery, they are no better than those genetically mutated monstrosities used by the tyrants we fought in the Merican wars!"

"Ah but that's the point brother," Gravele spoke softly "those tyrants have long since been vanquished. The ghosts of the past should be lain to rest brother and we should embrace the future of our Legion."

He placed the papers he had bought with him on the small round table that stood beside the arming rack.

"These are your new orders, I am to replace you as Captain of the Fifth and you are to report to the Terran 12th/32nd as liason to the Legion. The Primarch may come from a barbaric race as you put it but he understands the value of comradeship. He felt it better that it come from a friend rather than a superior. I think that you sorely under estimate the Fenrisians brother."

And with that he turned and left to resume his duties leaving the old man to his thoughts.

So in short Enoch is having trouble adjusting to the newer ways of the Fenrisians and is being seen as something of a risk to the stability of the Space Wolves.

Out of respect he has been granted a position of liason to an Imperial Army regiment acting as part of the expedition.

I've begun cleaning up the model a bit. He's still pretty messy for the time being from the leg straightening but he's coming along nicely.

I've still got to clean up the feet as they are pretty mcuh gs place holders for now so that I can get the portions right. I 've also filled the gap in the shoulder pad with GS and just need to tidy it up a bit.

Once the model has been give the once over and cleaned up I'll add the back pack, plasma pistol, start the bionic arm and add a few pouches and grenades.

I'm itching to get started on the paintjob now.

http://i40.tinypic.com/282oup5.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/9fpn2x.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/14nn5z6.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/15wxgf4.jpg

Doghouse, i said it before and will say it again... you GS skills are ace!!! I don't know how you get your GS so well cut if get what i mean. I have got the clay shaping tools to help me better ply the GS but how do you get the stuff cut so neatly like you do??? This is why you are the master and we are the padawans! B)

Why are male hobbyists always afraid to model size-appropriate butts for their minis? :thanks:

Jokes aside, your greenstuff work is just ace, so clean and sharp, makes all my work look like it has been blessed by Nurgle.

But the hips are a bit too wide (or hips that big need a bigger butt) and the pose is a bit static. Could be that the missing backpack is throwing the whole bulky marine pose off.

Cheers guys! :P

A lot of the feedback I've got here addresses the issues that I also have with the model, a second opinion really helps verify my own concerns so thanks for that guys. ;)

lionofjudah: Yeah I'm doing ok mate. Look forward to seeing the landraider get a lick of paint mate. ;)

Terrible_Trygon/Terminus Est: I've already addressed the crutch plate issue by lengthing it as I thought exactly the same thing. I'll show what I've done when I post the nest lot of pictures and will be building up the inside of the legs just a little which should smooth out the proportions a little.

Ironblood: I've been looking at this as well, I think what the problem might actually be is that the torso across the chest area isn't quite wide enough and it's throwing the proportion hips out.

Once I've bulked the chest out a little and the inner legs it should look ok. If not I'll hack the legs off and reposition the hips.

Dorns padawan/cathar the great: Check out the tutorial section, I've chucked up a few simple sculptng vids that I'm putting together that might be of some use to you in regards to getting smooth surfaces and hard edges. ;)

Here's the slightly reworked model as he stands now. I've bulked out the torso a little bit, lengthened the groin plate and thickened the inner thighs. Still needs some major clean up work but I'm a bit happier with him now.

I've blu-taced the back pack on which I will be making into a proper Mk IV pack. I think that as this guy is bigger than my regular actual scale stuff I may need to lengthen the pack but a mil or so.

http://i41.tinypic.com/18j6so.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/14ufi89.jpg

Man, awesome pose, awesome proportions and the sculpting is so crisp! What kind of spacewolf accessories are you going to tack on to this dude? Looking forward to some more updates.

Though I'd love to see a true, Fenrisian Space Wolf from you Doghouse, I suggest you go with little to no Space Wolf bits. Any wolf pelts, necklaces, or amulets, could throw off your suspension of disbelief with this guy. If you want to get across the point that Enoch is shun by most of his brethren and is an outcast who rejects the culture of his new brothers, then leave him without the Space Wolf exclusive ornamentation. I'd prefer to only see the Legion's heraldry and maybe a cloth or something over his groin region. Plain and simple, the Terran way. <_<

Cheers guys! :sick:

Metal Fingered Villain: This guy is going to be about as Imperial as they come so he'll be completely void of anything that the regular wolves would stick on their armour such as pelts or totems. He's a bit old school in that respect.

Darth Potato: Definately mate. I think the only thing that I will add to him in terms of ornamentation is an oath of moment and the old school thunderbolt icon on the torso to show he fought in the regiment.

He'll be codex grey with the red wolves head symbol on the left pad and his personal heraldry on the right. I may sculpt the old Rogue Trader captain icon onto the vanbrace of his left forearm as well as a nod to the good old RT days.

Another quick update, got some free time so I'm blazing away on this guy. I've got the armour well on the way to being cleaner and started a little work on the shotgun.

I know your probably thinking "why has he got the spent shell ejection port thing on the inside of the gun, when he fires it's going to bounce off his chest?" Well space marine weapons are typically ambidextrous in design so the gun will have one on either side so he can swop hands to fire if need be.

Here's a shot of him next to my old Night Lords Captain (minus his bolter, not sure what happened there). First thing you'll notice is the difference in height. This because my guard models are taller so to compensate for the scale creep Enoch had to be made slightly taller as well.

The Night Lord is also crouching slightly which I 've taken into account with Enoch.

http://i42.tinypic.com/acrehs.jpg

In the OP, why is that bolter elongated? Just wondering, cos other wise this guy rocks. Though how do attempt to combine Straken with a Terran Legion? I understand the theory, but in terms of having a Guard Colonol in a Marine Force. Unless you house-rule it...hmmm....

By the way, would love to know how you did that chest!!!!! Please post some form of Step-by-step thread.

Cheers,

Skirax :sick:

In the OP, why is that bolter elongated? Just wondering, cos other wise this guy rocks. Though how do attempt to combine Straken with a Terran Legion? I understand the theory, but in terms of having a Guard Colonol in a Marine Force. Unless you house-rule it...hmmm....

By the way, would love to know how you did that chest!!!!! Please post some form of Step-by-step thread.

Cheers,

Skirax :sick:

The bolter is a shotgun and he is leading a Imperial Army (Guard) force. Dang, some people need to learn to read. ;)

With the 5th ed rules concerning special characters you can use the rules to represent your own diy characters. It's a bit of a stretch in this example but he's basically a marine in terms of background material but in game terms uses the Straken rules.

It's sort of like building a model using regular plastics with a stormbolter and powerfist to represent Pedro Cantor. It's basically a "counts as" model.

The stretched bolter is from my CSK(...od) marines, it's the only one I had to hand at the time.

The torso will be covered in the tutorial vids I'm currently working on. ;)

Quick Update

I've got the armour blocked out now and just need to go over it now and sharpen a few bits up around the edges and I'll then clean up the feet.

The shotgun magazine is in place so all I have to do is build the proper magazine around the blob of GS, detail the gun itself and add the bionic arm.

Then I'll begin turning the pack into a proper Mk IV version.

With any luck I should be in a position to start painting by the weekend.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uy0vgm.jpg

Doghouse Buddy, he's coming on splendidly! very very nice work there :P cant wait to see him finished and painted.

only thing i would say is that I agree the boots need to be a tad smaller (height and maybe length too)

Archived