WIP Exorcist & Brazen Claw Marines

SCC

I haven't had a lot of hobby time recently for a number of reasons so when I decided to pick up the paint brush again I did it for the best there is - simply because I like the models. The models in question are the new(ish) metal Vanguard Vets, I like the poses, I like the gubbinz and detail and it's all nice and non-Chapter specific so I don't have to hack stuff off to paint something other than Ultras.

So as I was cleaning them up and assembling them I was deciding which Chapter to paint them as. Brazen Claws are out, they've got way to much in the way of gear to be BC (my BC have barely a handful of power weapons or plasma guns in the whole Chapter, there's no way a whole squad would ever be equipped like this in my version of BC-lore). Ultras were out too, I never seem able to finish Ultras. And nothing else really appealed for a few days, at least, until I decided on blatantly ripping off the red Marine on the back of the box. I like the look and decided to try a less dramatic version of it for myself. I settled on the Rampagers as the red Chapter in question but I wasn't terribly attached to the idea.

Then Brother Argos told me about a little project he's got slowly bubbling away - Armageddon. More specifically the Second and Third Armageddon Wars. So I rummaged around, dug up the old Codex Armageddon and perused the 'dex and found that three Chapters with predominantly red armour were there - Angels of Fire, BA and Exorcists. Of the three the Exorcists appealed most, so that's where this guy is headed now - straight to hell & back:

med_gallery_385_727_2681.jpg

gallery_385_727_7687.jpg

The base for each member of the squad has been simply altered to look more Imperial/Urban ruins, though with the mini above that was easier said than done, there were a lot of Eldar-y curves and smoothness to get rid of here. Each model will also be accompanied by a servo-skull. I figure the Exorcists, with their murky practices, would be subject to extra scrutiny and who (or what) better to provide that scrutiny than the unblinking eyes of the sacred dead?

I’m always a little worried about painting black so I’m not looking forward to the jump pack, but the best way to learn is to give it a go, right?

On the other hand I’m quite happy with the red, rather than my usual multi-multi-multi highlight layer approach I’ve tried to make this guy easier and quicker to paint by using lots of washes and glazes. So far it’s working out, I won’t win a Golden Daemon but I think the squad will look quite sharp when (if) I finish it.

And because folks will expect to see something with a split scheme I present yet another bolter armed Brazen Claw, when this guy is done I have almost enough for a whole Tac Squad and in under five years too!

gallery_385_727_46967.jpg

He needs lots more work on the blue and on the detail, but he's coming along...

Being a fan of both the Exorcists and Brazen Claws i have to say they both look fantastic so far. I tried painting up a batch of Brazen Claws a while back but i could really get the blue just right (on a side note i hate painting blue) and what i see looks great.

I figure the Exorcists, with their murky practices, would be subject to extra scrutiny and who (or what) better to provide that scrutiny than the unblinking eyes of the sacred dead?

I like that idea heaps. Being that they are Inquisition born that would add to the feel of daemon hunting marines. Looking forward to more SCC consider me hooked!

Archived