Sternguard and Combi-weapons

Quick question, I was versing 'Nids the other day and a Hive Tyrant and guard were coming up to assault my Sternguard. Seeing this i decided to advance into rapid fire range, I moved a 10 man Sternguard Squad forward, and said that 5 would fire their combi-flamers and 5 would use hellfire rounds. My opponent said I couldn't do this as special issue ammunition says the whole saquad must fire the same type of ammo. I thought this was legal as combi weapons arent treated as boltguns when they shoot their flamers. Am I wrong?

The special weapon component of the combi-weapon is not one of the special issue ammunitions. So if a model decides to fire the combi-weapon part it is not using a different type of special issue ammunition from the rest of the squad, just like models with a meltagun or missile launcher would not be using a different special issue ammunition.

The special weapon component of the combi-weapon is not one of the special issue ammunitions. So if a model decides to fire the combi-weapon part it is not using a different type of special issue ammunition from the rest of the squad, just like models with a meltagun or missile launcher would not be using a different special issue ammunition.

this, they arn't firing different ammunition they are firing a different gun effectively

Generally, there are a lot of skim-read rules abusers out there. know your rules, and hold fast - do not allow a pickup or tourney game to melt down based on what appears to be an overly limiting or overly powerful read on the rule s- if something seems out of whack, ask to see it in print.

in this case - you are entirely right Antonidus. combi-weapons, when not using their bolter component, are free from the restrictions on bolters. also, the sternguard can ONLY use special issue ammo - so the idea of having combi-weapons is simply absurd base don your opponent's reading.

oh - and a belated welcome to the B&C!

Thanks for the welcome Nighthawks :P

And thanks for the help, i thought I was right and even though I agreed with my opponent because I'm a newb, I still won. 10 Twinlinked flamers are NOT a pretty site for a 400+ point sink which caused an entire flank to roll up upon death B)

Vulkan, love him or hate him, theres no denying the raw power he gives a gunline of 30 sternguard with combi-flamers :P

Archived