Assault squads minus jump packs.

I think vanguard are the way to go. My army list as it stands already has one but in order to fit in another I would have to remove a troop choice and still find points to spare elsewhere. Yes I do want to be a black templar lol They were my first army and I desperately miss the choice of giving my tactical squads Bolt Pistols and Chainswords. Alas I think Im going to have to write up a new army list. Ill post it in the army list section but all of your opinions on it would be welcomed!

Alas the issue with Vanguard is that they have to purchase the Rhino whereas assault squads get them for free. Though if my memory serves Vanguard can get access to a Razorback and Assault Squads cannot...

Wan

Yup. I don't know if Army Builder fixed it with this last patch, but it was showing that Vanguard Vets also got the free Rhino, but that's NOT true. Now that you mention it, I'd have to look at the transport options for the squads again, because I think you're right about not getting Razorbacks.

I think that vehicle mounted Assault marines definitely have a place in mech armies because they add to the sheer number of armoured vehicles that the enemy has to deal with. Using Assaults in Rhinos and driving them straight at the enemy, you force your opponent to choose between destroying the Rhino full of Assaults that is right in front of him (and hoping that he entangles them), or shooting at the Tacticals moving up behind. If he shoots at the Assaults, he's not shooting at your scoring units, and if he shoots at the Tacticals, he's ignoring the Assaults that are about to get him. Either way, its win-win. Having said that, I also think that Vanguard Vets led by a Chaplain riding in a LRC is nastiness personified. Both have their advantages.

Assault Squad with 2 Flamers in a Rhino wih a 'dozer blade. Tank Shock squads to force them to bunch up (remember tank shocked units do still have to maintain unit coherency), and then cover them in promethium ^_^

THIS ... is the way to go. Hands down.

Komeru for Mod!

Assault Squad with 2 Flamers in a Rhino wih a 'dozer blade. Tank Shock squads to force them to bunch up (remember tank shocked units do still have to maintain unit coherency), and then cover them in promethium ^_^

THIS ... is the way to go. Hands down.

Komeru for Mod!

Oh hells no, I'm not being a mod noway or nohow.

Have you thought about playing Blood Angels? In a BA army not only can you take Assault Marines as troops but you can take them w/o jump packs and you get a free Rhino. I have a rather large BA force and they are a force to be reckoned with. They are also fun to play. I field three 10 man assault squads in rhinos, turbo boost them (BA over-charged engine rule) 18", pop smoke, and weather the storm safely inside my rhinos for one turn. The next turn out come the squads ready to assault. It's great fun!

Yea I had considered Blood Angels but I want my force to be lead by Vulkan as I've got a wip commander to represent him. There were other things bout the codex I didn't like as well but it could still be an option in the future. I think now that I'm going to mount my army in rhinos as opposed to drop pods with one assault squad as opposed to two. This would leave room for three tactical squads. would three full strength tactical squads be adequate scoring units for a game of between 1500-1750?

(P.S. this is my first 5th edition army and I haven't had a chance to play any games yet hence my uncertainty about what units to include.)

Double that on Space Wolves. Especially when the new codex drops this fall/winter, they'll likely put Templars to pasture. Especially when you consider codex creep and the incredible popularity of the Sons of Russ. *SOAP BOX DISMOUNT*

Outside of that, Assault Marines without JP can definitely be strong in the right build. Mechanizing them is definitely not optional, though Drop Pods are honestly a huge risk. I like Koremu's strat quite a bit here, though I would join the bandwagon saying stuffing them in a LR is an awesome idea. If you really want double flamers in a unit you could always just go Flamer+Combi-Flamer in a Tactical Squad (and be scoring too) or double Heavy Flamer Sternguard (which Pedro can make scoring). In fact, x2 HF SG are just as effective in CC as Assault Marines (really) and HF are infinitely nastier than normal Flamers. Cost is an issue, but this is C:SM so I'm sure you already knew that. ;)

As I'm a Black Templar player and have many CCW and BP space marines, when I play Codex: Space Marine, you can be I'll be throwing some of these guys in from time to time. I hate having models that don't get used.

Archived