Combat Squad with Dawn of War deployment

Rythlan

First the question(s):

Dawn of War (if I recall correctly) starts you off with two troop choices and one HQ.

When I deploy my tactical squad and razorback, and decide to combat squad, does this count as my two troop choices?

If the combat squads do count as my two troop choices, is it possible to combat squad two different tactical squads and use one combat squad from each?

How it came up:

I am learning to play, and a fellow down at the local game store said he would run me through a game to learn a little. We start a game, Dawn of War, Annihilation. Now, many of you will criticize me for combat squadding in annihilation. So be it, I did it anyway. I was going to place two tac squads on the table with dedicated transport and combat squad them both. My opponent stopped me, saying that each combat squad counts as a squad, thus I may only have one split tac squad. I conceded, and asked if I could deploy half of each tac squad so I could have my heavy weapons start on the table. He allowed this, and the game started. My stuff rolled on as normal and the rest is history.

What do you think?

It doesnt matter how many force org charts they occupy, you may only deploy 2 troop units. Consider a guard troop squad that uses 1 force org chart but has the following units:

1 platoon command squad unit

5 platoon units

5 heavy weapon units

1 conscript unit

2 special weapon units

6 dedicated chimeras

That is 20 troop units, but 1 force org chart.

Similiarly, a tac squad can have up to three units, 2 combat squads, and a transport, from the same force org chart.

In dawn of war, you can only deploy 2 units, thus if you wish to deploy a tac squad, and you decide to combat squad them, then you will be deploying 2 seperate troop units, and may not place any other unit.

Also, the decision to combat squad must be made when the WHOLE squad deploys. You may not combat squad in reserve, or only deploy half a tac squad. So in your example, you could not have deployed the heavy weapon combat squad from the 2 seperate tac squads, as you did not first deploy both tac squads to have the option to combat squad. You could have started both 10 man squads on the board, or 1 10 man squad and their transport, or a single tac squad broken into two 5 man squads.

Sigh.... here we go again.

BRB pg. 92 Multiple Unit Choices "Apart from being bought as a single choice, these units operate and count as seperate units in all repects."

Still not convinced? BRB pg. 93 read the wording under the pic in the Dawn of War description......where they tell you that a dedicated transport counts as a unit of troops.

Archived