DIY Chapter - The Nova Guard

Martox

Evening gents;

Whilst growing bored of painting green (read: WHFB Orcs), I needed something to fill the gap. The Assault on Black Reach set provides nicely, with a set of models that are nicely detailed and give me something to try some new techniques out on. So, it's DIY time.

After messing around in the SM Painter, I settled on this colour scheme:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Martox/novaguardmarine.jpg

That would be bleached bone and chaos black, for the most part.

Symbol was something I knocked together in about 10 minutes on photoshop. Gone with bone as it's something I've yet to learn to paint well, I seem to get alot of banding when I paint it. It also gives me a chance to try the fake 3d chipping technique.

Comments on the colourscheme so far would be appreciated; test model should be up tommorow at some point.

Cheers,

Martox

Right, heres the test mini and the WIP of the first Nova Guard I'll be working on. Greenstuffed the symbol; going to make a cast of it for ease of use.

Not too happy with the marine, it looks too dark in the recesses. Perhaps skip the wash and go for a glaze of bleached bone to get the shading blend instead. I'll have to do another test mini. At any rate, the scheme works.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Martox/ngt.jpg

For me the best way the shade bone was with grypphone sephia and the darkest recesses with devlan mud.

Watered down snakebite leather can also do the trick.

I like the paintscheme, but it's not an easy one to pull off. Good luck

I'll be honest, I didn't care much for the colour scheme when showen as the army painter. However I take it back, that marine looks great. Light colours are almost never easy to pull off well.

Will be watching your progress.

Archived