Smoke - Glancing hit or 4+ cover save

Bonham1963

I play CSM and was curious if we use the glancing rule for smoke launchers or the 4+ cover save in the BRB? My friend says the 4+ cover save replaced all uses for smoke and that codex definitions no longer apply. Thanks.

Your friend is both wrong and right. Smoke launcher rules in BRB p62 clearly state that Codex smoke rules are to be used if they are different to those in the BRB.

Looking at CSM p87 you must follow the rules of the BRB (so yes the cover save then) as that is what it tells you to reference. Whilst for my DA for instance, I still get the glancing hits rule as that is specifically mentioned in the DA Codex.

So the cover save does not apply to all Codexes as he claims, but they do to you.

Cheers

I

Indeed the priority list goes as follows

House Rules>Codex/errata>BRB>random guy on the internet. You can insert the FAQ wherever you like as FAQ are defined as GW's house rules. The codex ALWAYS trumps the BRB, however many codexes reference the BRB or universal special rules (which are defined in the BRB)

like above but please make sure your pdf FaQ is for the country you are playing in the amount of us FaQs i have people try to use against me winds me up they chose the FaQ that is better for them NO i play 1500 points GT's not 1750 GT's you want us rules play in the us

( Feel so much better after that rant lol)

Older smoke launchers did the downgrade pens to glances rule (and still do).

Newer ones use the 4+ cover save rule.

If a vehicle that uses the older codex smoke is obscured (+50%) say by terrain or intervening models, and has fired smoke, it gets the benefits of both. DH rhinos (and possibly WH ones as well) are quite survivable these days because of this interaction.

Sucks for others, though. Only the save.

Archived