Combat Squadding Deepstriking Terminators and using a 'homer

ShinyRhino

Ok, so I've read a bunch of interpretations of the Combat Squads rule regarding coming in from reserve. I'm working on the assumption that a squad in reserve can still be combat squadded, but that the two separate squads roll one die for reserve deployment, but can move onto the board from different points.

So, let's say I've got myself a 10-man Terminator Squad. At the begining of the game, I declared that this unit was hed in reserve, would be arriving via Deepstrike, and would be Combat Squadded.

Now, I have two different teleport homers (or locator beacons) on the table when the Terminators successfully roll for reserve arrival.

Can I land each combat squad at a different teleport homer, or do I have to land the whole 10-man unit, and designate which squad is which once they're on the table?

As much as I like the Combat Squads rule, it's the most consistently confusing rule in the entire Codex!

Complete agreement with regard to the combat squad rule being confusing. Deepstrike via teleport is not well addressed. Rules for CSs state that units in reserve may be deployed in seperate locations. It is understood that units in reserve roll 1 die and move on as seperate combat squads. It is usually believed that units in reserve have to state their status as whole or combat squads at deployment I before the first turn.

The exception to the above is of course the drop pod.

As for the teleporter, I would state that the terminator unit is held as combat squads in reserve, who is in what squad. Roll one die for the unit, and deploy them both via the same method, but in seperate locations if you wish.

This will follow all of the known rules, and allow you to do as you asked.

“If you decide to split a unit into combat squads, then each combat squad is treated as a separate unit for all game purposes from that point.” C:SM pg 51

Personally, I believe all the combat squad/deployment issues can be easily resolved if you consider that all, “deployment decisions” occur solely in the, “deployment phase.”

As in this case, the decision to make a 10-strong terminator squad, 2 units is done in the deployment phase, even though the decision was to deep strike them both and therefore they both must be held in reserve. From that decision onward, they became 2 separate units for all intents of the game. Therefore, you would roll separately for each one to determine when they arrive on table and you can place them anywhere you want, per the DS rules.

Admittedly, the language is murky and this is a RAI way of working out the discrepancies but it also irons out most of the anomalies w/the combat squad rule.

-OMG

Combat Squads, Codex SM P51 - "The decision to split the unit in to combat squads, as well as which models go into each combat squad, must be made when the unit is deployed. Both combat squads can be deployed in separate locations."

Deep Strike, BRB P95- "Roll for the arrival of these units as specified in the rules for reserves and then deploy them as follows..."

Emphasis is mine, but it seems clear to me. Combat squads are decided when you deploy the unit, and reserves rolls are made before you can deploy that unit. So it goes like this:

1)Roll for reserves

2)Decide if you want to combat squad one or more of the available units

3)Decide the composition of each combat squad

4)Deploy the combat squads as normal units

Hope that clears it all up.

It appears that this scenario is not very cut and dry at all. as OMG stated earlier, the combat squads rule language is murky.

I would appreciate anyone who has input taking a second to add it to THIS POST as well. I don't want to detract from answering the OP's question, but I would like to get as many reads on it in my survey as I can so that we have a good representation of the community for the grey areas thread.

thanks, and carry on

-N

Emphasis is mine, but it seems clear to me. Combat squads are decided when you deploy the unit, and reserves rolls are made before you can deploy that unit. So it goes like this:

1)Roll for reserves

2)Decide if you want to combat squad one or more of the available units

3)Decide the composition of each combat squad

4)Deploy the combat squads as normal units

I guess I must be missing something because by my reading, you just stated that the noted exception to the rule is always the rule. From that same section of C:SM:

“The decision to split the unit into combat squads, as well as which models go into each combat squad, must be made when the unit is deployed. Both combat squads can be deployed in separate locations. The one exception to this is a unit that arrives by Drop Pod. The player can choose to split such a unit into combat squads when it disembarks from the Drop Pod.

Note that a unit/model is deployed when it disembarks from a transport, BRB pg 67 under Disembarking.

So the exception here specifically refers to when the player chooses to split in combat squads. In other words, all decisions to split into combat squads must be made during the deployment phase (i.e. the typical time when units are deployed as opposed to when they use the Mission Special Rule: Reserves). The one exception to this is when a unit arrives via drop pod. Only in this one case can a unit choose to split into combat squads outside of the deployment phase.

Side Note: Also, take a look back at this post on Combat Squads, Scouts & the LSS.

-OMG

The exception with Drop Pods is that at the moment the unit arrives via drop pod, both "combat squads" are inside that transport, even though upon deciding that they are deployed as combat squads the unit would normally enter the board as two separate units. Two separate units would not be allowed to be transported in the same vehicle, though. So the exception is that the unit is not split into combat squads immediately when it is deployed, but a short moment later when it is disembarking from the drop pod.

For example, a 10 men unit of Terminators or Assault Marines that was split into combat squads uppon arrival would enter the board already as two separate units and deep strike in two different positions. The drop pod unit is not, and instead is split into squad after having entered via deep striking pod.

Full Terminator unit as the regular:

- Successful reserve roll

- The player decides to deploy them as two combat squads

- Each combat squad is placed separately via deep strike

Full Drop Pod squad as teh exception:

- Successful reserve roll

- The pod is places via deep strike with the whole unit inside

- As the unit disembarks the player decides to split them into two combat squads

Usually, Combat squads enter the game as separate units. Drop pod units enter the game as a single unit and are split into two separate units at a later point.

I totally follow what you’re saying and I do believe that could have been GW’s intention. So you’ve sold me that far. It still seems like a very artificial and overly restrictive way of handling this rule.

As stated back in the LSS discussion, it wouldn’t bother me if an SM player went either way with this.

-OMG

Basically, the decision to have a unit be fielded in full or as two separate combat squads is made just when the unit first enters play. It does not has to be done upon army creation or at the beginning of the game, but only when the unit itself enters the game, and it can then do so as a whole or as two separate squads. It seems to be a very "direct" way of handling combat squads, and not in some abstract way where you have hypothetical half squads in reserve (which you probably also would have to keep track of).

Archived