New DIY Tactical Sergeant

Hey everyone, I'm taking a little break from my Priory of Dorn chapter and doing a small (~1000pts) force. Right now I'm calling them the Phantom Guard. I'm not 100% sold on it yet though so if you have any suggestions for a new name I'm all ears. I don't have any fluff or background just a painted mini. Here is my WIP Sergeant from this force. He still needs some details finished (scrolls, purity seals, soft armor) & a wash of black to blend in the highlights. This is the first marine in PA that I've attempted to highlight & my 3rd mini total that I've highlighted. I've got one mini finished in this scheme. I've posted him in a HoH thread. Any C&C is welcomed & encouraged!

gallery_26418_3747_51447.jpg

gallery_26418_3747_196499.jpg

gallery_26418_3747_88405.jpg

gallery_26418_3747_233936.jpg

I'm one to talk about such a thing, but your highlights are extremly bold and a bit splochy (sp?). You may want to consider a thinner brush. Highlighting on the hands I would suggest just two of the sides, usually top and by the fingers to represent a light source, which is a good idea to see where you should highlight. stick it under a light and where corners "Brighten up" highlight that part. and do a second thinner highlight with a lighter color right on the edge, barely noticable bit will make a difference. but not bad for a third shot!

Not bad for one of your first few guys.

When highlighting, you want to wipe off most of the paint from the brush. Looks like you've got a heavy load of paint on the bristles when you do yours. Try wiping most of it off on a paper towel, and then gently dragging the brush edge along the highlight point. Takes two passes most of the time, but you'll see a vast improvement.

Keep going!

Needs a black wash on the red - it just screams "TOO BRIGHT" to me.

Other than that, not bad dude :D

Oh yeah, and I agree with what the dudes above said :P

I'm one to talk about such a thing, but your highlights are extremly bold and a bit splochy (sp?). You may want to consider a thinner brush. Highlighting on the hands I would suggest just two of the sides, usually top and by the fingers to represent a light source, which is a good idea to see where you should highlight. stick it under a light and where corners "Brighten up" highlight that part. and do a second thinner highlight with a lighter color right on the edge, barely noticable bit will make a difference. but not bad for a third shot!

Not bad for one of your first few guys.

When highlighting, you want to wipe off most of the paint from the brush. Looks like you've got a heavy load of paint on the bristles when you do yours. Try wiping most of it off on a paper towel, and then gently dragging the brush edge along the highlight point. Takes two passes most of the time, but you'll see a vast improvement.

Keep going!

also if you dont want to strip the highlights and start over, just clean up the thick lines with some chaos black, it won't be golden daemon but still good for TT.

I was using an enamel on the highlights and forgot to thin it down so it started to get a little sticky on the brush. I think I may paint over the existing highlights, and try them again with thinner paint. Highlighting Power Armor is much more difficult than highlighting TDA. :woot: Thanks for the suggestions guys I appreciate the feedback.

Needs a black wash on the red - it just screams "TOO BRIGHT" to me.

Other than that, not bad dude <_<

Oh yeah, and I agree with what the dudes above said :cuss

The whole model is going to get a wash of black so it's not so bright. I wish I had a darker red to use for the weapons to begin with, but unfortunately, I only have 1 shade of red at the moment. After the wash it should look better. Same as the red on my TDA Captain.

Very nice, I like it although the guys are right, the highlighting needs a bit of cleaning up. I like the model a lot.

Base it, maybe? That's one thing that i thought of when i was looking at it.

Edit: now that i think about it, if you had done the highlights with silver instead of grey it would have made some great battle damage. There's an idea.

Very nice, I like it although the guys are right, the highlighting needs a bit of cleaning up. I like the model a lot.

Base it, maybe? That's one thing that i thought of when i was looking at it.

Edit: now that i think about it, if you had done the highlights with silver instead of grey it would have made some great battle damage. There's an idea.

I'll be basing the mini like the Captain in TDA that I've already finished (see the link in the first post). I read a topic earlier today were some one was highlighting his Black Templars with metalics. I might do a test mini with metallic highlights. I'm not a fan of the battle damaged look though. All the fluff I've ever read talks about how much the Marines care for their armor so the battle damage doesn't make sense to me. Just personal preferance I guess.

Archived