How do you kill nightbringers?

Brother Selacuos

how do you defeat the nightbringer using vanilla marines? if you have any general suggestions for fighting against necrons please post those too. =)

He is tough he is strong and has enough attacks to kill a few things a turn, and apart from ignoring terrain he isn't very fast. TBH assuming your just using units in C:SM and no allies your only choice is to hit him with lots of high strength shots (S5+) although you really want S8/9 and vindicators can be put to better use than shooting the. The other choice is to ignore him monolith style.

Whatever you do don't send expensive units into combat with him! I only advise the Space Wolves 13th company to take him out in CC with power fists!

How many points are you playing and are you facing a monolith/s as well or just the night bringer?

Ok general ideas.

Find out what his model count is for models with the Necron rule (This is what allows We'll be back) and work out how many you need to destroy/he will have left for him to phase out. Keep track of this through the game as even right at the end of the game if you only have 1 unit left with the Nightbringer infront of you and you need to kill 1 more necron you don't want to shoot the Nightbringer (who probably will survive when all you needed was to down 1 guy)

The following have the Necron rule:

Necron Lords

Immortals

Flayed Ones

Warriors

Wraiths

Destroyers

Heavy Destroyer

Luckily for you I think Necrons are easier to beat than in 4th... I mean a lot easier, they find it harder to pop your vehicles and you find it easier to keep them down.

I don't know if its the case anymore but it used to be every necron lord and his mum took a res orb, this only works on units with one or more models in 6 and the necron lord may try and use it on himself once. Its a bit of a pain so kill him if you can. The one way around this is to run people down and how combat works makes this a lot easier. The necrons are Ld10 but with a tooled up squad/high I character you should easily win combat lowering this by loads, then even with a Lord they are I4(Normal warriors are 2) and so you should run them down stopping them from coming back no matter what he has in his army. Also note if you wipe out a unit and none of the models are within 6 of a unit of the same kind they can't get back up (Unless a tomb sypder is near by and then its within 12).

I would say Heavy Destroyers and destroyers are the main thing to watch out for ;) also if he has a Mono and you have a fast unit... park it infront of the monos door to stop him from teleporting through... and if he uses veil of darkness thats a good time to pie plate them.

It might be out of date but it still brings a smile to my face :D

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/necrons.jpg

Drop pod in a sternguard unit and poison him to death. I doubt it will save the average 12 wounds on 4+ invulnerables. And plenty of lascannons or Strength 10 ordnance on monoliths. after that plenty of power weapons.

Khan and close combat Terminators.

No, seriously, last Necron player I played against I used 5 lightning claws Terminators and Kahn, outflanked them and cut through 2 Necron units and his Lord in the space of 2/3 turns. By forcing both units to run and downing his Lord (who failed is WBB roll), he couldn't ressurrect a load of casulties he'd taken earlier, and he hit phase out quickly when is units ran off board.

Really, I would try and ignore the Nightbringer, pretend he isn't there unless he's ripping your units apart. Focus on downing the two Lords as quick as you can and take down his WBB models to force a phase out. For this you need a high concentration of firepower that will force this, so Sternguard, plasma cannons and even bike squads could be your way forward. Just don't get distracted by the Nightbringer and force the phase out as soon as you can.

how do you defeat the nightbringer using vanilla marines? if you have any general suggestions for fighting against necrons please post those too. =)
You ignore him and go for the phase-out. :devil:

You ignore him and go for the phase-out. :devil:

This is the truth.

If you really feel obligated to kill him, Sniper Scouts do an adequate job.

But ignore him and enjoy the fact that he spent enough points buying the Nightbringer that he could have easily fielded another Warrior squad.

its a 1750pt battle there are two lords with res orbs. a monolith and a nightbringer, also there are about 45 units with the necron rule.

Uhm... That's illegal. The Nightbringer is an HQ choice, and 2 Lords are 2 HQ choices. He has 3.

Lysander? :) Strength 10 with +1 on the penetration chart is a pretty good thing against Monoliths. Since Nightbringer have a 4+ invunerability save and strikes first, Lysander might not be the best thing against him though!

Lysander? :unsure: Strength 10 with +1 on the penetration chart is a pretty good thing against Monoliths. Since Nightbringer have a 4+ invunerability save and strikes first, Lysander might not be the best thing against him though!

No...Just no... Lysander won't get any save against the Nightbringer, so not a very smart thing to do.

Lysander? ;) Strength 10 with +1 on the penetration chart is a pretty good thing against Monoliths. Since Nightbringer have a 4+ invunerability save and strikes first, Lysander might not be the best thing against him though!

No...Just no... Lysander won't get any save against the Nightbringer, so not a very smart thing to do.

Lysander vs. Nightbringer baaaad. Lysander vs. Monoliths gooood. :P Actually, Lysander is pretty good vs. all necrons, except those pesky ignore armour and invunerability saves weapons. Wicked!

Shoot the nightbringer with lascannon/multimeltas to cause him to lose a wound or two. After that just rapid fire with your sternguard. Works every time.

Also, necrons are best dealt with in assault. Space marine shooting generally isn't good enough vs necrons of any type, so the best idea is to attack them with th/ss termies, beefed up assault characters (vulkan, lysander, captains/masters with relic blade, etc.), dreadnoughts, assault squads etc. Basically, a relic blade or a power fist will kill a few necrons, which will cause them to lose combat most of time, and then if they fail their leadership test, you're quite likely to sweeping advance them.

If you wanna pop some wounds in them through shooting, lascannons, meltas, and krak missiles do a good job of softening 'em up. Plasma cannon is very killy vs necrons, too, but then again they can mitigate it through WBB.

TBH, if the necron player is being lucky with his shooting and WBB roles, there's really nothing you can do about it.

10 rapid firing sternies will statistically kill the grim reaper in one round of shooting with their poisoned rounds.

Each shot causes .2777777 (recuring) unsaved wounds

20 shots causes 5.5555555 (recuring) unsaved wounds

Of course wounding him a little before would make this a lot more reliable. But its the quickest and easiest way i can think of, and doesnt tie up a massive portion of your army running around, or shooting at him.

its a 1750pt battle there are two lords with res orbs. a monolith and a nightbringer, also there are about 45 units with the necron rule.

Unless its apocalypse or planet strike attacking theres no way he should have 3 HQs in 1750 eh?

Id call foul on that one.

Played against a necron player with a Nightbringer, basically dropped my Sternguard next to him with my Libby with Gate/Null. Cast null, rapid fire hellfire rounds and he's saving a ton of attacks on his invul save which he needs to reroll saves.

If I didn't have the sternguard, I would just use my heavy weapons and stay the hell away from it. It can't cover everything, so go around it.

Basically, a relic blade or a power fist will kill a few necrons, which will cause them to lose combat most of time, and then if they fail their leadership test, you're quite likely to sweeping advance them.

Aren't all Necrons Fearless and therefore automatically pass the leadership test after losing a combat?

Basically, a relic blade or a power fist will kill a few necrons, which will cause them to lose combat most of time, and then if they fail their leadership test, you're quite likely to sweeping advance them.

Aren't all Necrons Fearless and therefore automatically pass the leadership test after losing a combat?

No :devil:

Really? Ugh, I hate it when people aren't honest about their codex. Guess its time to read the Necron codex.

As for being on topic, I've taken out the Nightbringer with Heavy Bolters of all things. Fired all 4 TL Heavy Bolter sponsons from my Thunderhawk at it and took it down in two turns. A lot of luck was involved seeing as how the HB's only wound on a 6 but it happened. Sniper Scouts are pretty awesome for this role though, as previously stated. A unit of 10 should give you at least one wound each turn on him and 4+ is not a very good save.

Two things work GREAT on Necrons

1. Vindicators

2. Plasma Cannons

Target all your firepower into killing off whole units. Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers are especially vulnerable due to high cost, low model count, and not likely to be near a Lord.

We Will Be Back will not work, even with a res orb, if there is nothing of that type left within 6 inches (12 if Tomb spider close by).

The 3 HQ slots is already covered. I also think that a Res Orb is a 1 per army deal, not 1 per HQ. Check his Codex, do not take his word! In my experiance Necron players twist rules the most since no one knows how they are "supposed" to work, so they make stuff up and then go "Oh, oops" if you call them on it.

Two Vindicators will wipe out everything they touch, and can take out Monoliths with some consistency if nothing else is in range.

Plasma Cannons will remove his normal save, and are great for taking chunks out of teleported warrior squads. Fire enough cannons and the whole warrior squad is a puddle of goo. Puddles of goo do not get back up, even with Res Orb, if there are no other warrior units nearby.

Good advice for the phase out. S8 and up template weapons. Power Fists and Dreadnought CCWs work well for killing Warriors too. Just anything S8 or up and the ONLY thing that can help them is a Res Orb with Warriors nearby. No WBB rolls on instant death IIRC.

It isn't S8 but the Land Raider Redeemer's Flamestorm cannons (S6 AP3) are really nice as you wound on a 2+ and negate their 3+ save. Templates can really take out a ton of Warriors.

Archived