RAZORBACK QUESTION

SkInNyBoI

Many units in C:SM are able to take dedicated transports. In most cases, such as the Rhino and the Razorback, these vehicles must be bought with a unit as a dedicated transport as specified in their unit entry eg. Tactical Squads can take a Rhino, Razorback or Drop Pod as a dedicated transport, but none of those vehicles can be taken on their own.

When it comes round to deployment you can decide if any of your infantry units will begin the game embarked in a vehicle with transport capacity or not, the only restriction is that dedicated transports can only carry the unit it was bought with and no other. Also the squad's size cannot exceed the transport limit of the transport. At deployment you do not need to start all units that purchased a dedicated to transported to embarked in it.

So it is perfectly legal to have a Razorback running around shooting with nothing in it, but it must be bought with another unit such as a Tactical Squad. Just running one on its own unattached to a unit is illegal.

I myself have a 10 man Tactical Squad with a Razorback TLLC dedicated transport, and I deploy the unit and cover and run the Razorback as empty.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Darkguard, you stated:

"Also the squad's size cannot exceed the transport limit of the transport."

and

"I myself have a 10 man Tactical Squad with a Razorback TLLC dedicated transport"

Does not compute.

He means the squad size cannot be bigger than the transport's capacity if the unit wishes to ride inside it. It's quite common and legal in 5th Ed SM armies to take 10 man squads with Razors.

Yup Bran Scalphunter has it right there, normally works pretty well as well. Sorry about that though Kronk, I should have perhaps clarified that more in my first post.

the only drama with taken a 10 man squad with the razorback is you can never put them in it unless you broke it into a combat squad which has to be done at deployment, also the razorback can be used to transport other unit though out the game but can only transport the host unit at depolyent but after this it is then free to do as it pleases

AFAIK you can mount any unit in the vehicle as long as it does not have more members than the vehicle can transport — so if you take a Razorback for a ten-man squad, you can't put the squad into it until it has suffered at least four casualties.

Oh, and could you please use some more punctuation in your posts? :D

except at depolyment it has to be the unit that it was brought for, so if i have two 10 man squads of marines one i brought a rhino i can only deploy the squad (plus IC) that brought the rhino in it, but then it is free to do as it please - your second point is correct after 4 casualtly u can use it again. ref page 67 of BRB

You may want to re-read your own post :mellow: Specifically this bit:

the only drama with taken a 10 man squad with the razorback is you can never put them in it

(my emphasis). You're right about not being able to put another squad in it during deployment, but your post basically says the squad also could not get into their own Razorback after they've been reduced to six (or fewer) models.

Hi guys I need some clarification on this so i get a 10 man Tactical Squad and a Razorback, deployment comes the 10 Man squad splits into 2 Five (5) man squads in turn 2 or so a 5 man squad from the original Tactical Squad loads up in it would tis be legal and could the other 5 man squad go on its way to do other things?

Hi guys I need some clarification on this so i get a 10 man Tactical Squad and a Razorback, deployment comes the 10 Man squad splits into 2 Five (5) man squads in turn 2 or so

You can't do that, unless the unit was being held in reserves and only entered the table on turn two. If a unit is going to split into combat squads, it has to do so as soon as it hits the table.

Hi guys I need some clarification on this so i get a 10 man Tactical Squad and a Razorback, deployment comes the 10 Man squad splits into 2 Five (5) man squads in turn 2 or so a 5 man squad from the original Tactical Squad loads up in it would tis be legal and could the other 5 man squad go on its way to do other things?

You can only combat squad when you deploy the squad. I know there are arguments for and against doing this from reserve, and how it should be done, and I'm not going to get into that here.

If you have a 10 man squad with a Razorback, and combat squad them at deployment, then you can put one squad in the Razorback, and the other squad can do whatever it likes (within the constaints of the rules), which normally seems to be firing its heavy weapon as a special weapon and sergeant travel in the Razorback. From turn 1 onwards (just not at deployment), any unit that doesn't exceed transport capacity for the Razorback (and is an infantry unit) can embark on it.

Archived