Assaulting out of Drop Pods

In the Movement phase when they arrive, these units may not move any further, other than to disembark from a deep striking transport vehicle.

The rule is stating that the models in a drop pod are deep striking themselves. They just disembark rather than form up in a circle.

Not quite. When the pod lands, everyone has to get out, and as you can't assault on the turn you deepstrike then you can't assault out of the pod. This might be different in planetstrike, but that isn't out yet so I won't go in to it. Of course you could be a real ass and say that the pod itself deepstriked(struck?), but the marines inside didn't, but even if this did work somehow I don't think you'd get many games in after that.

So, in short, no you can't, but it has nothing to do with being open-topped.

Edit- Never mind, Cypher's right, there's no rules lawyering available either.

Isn't there a thing in the Deep Strike rules themselves that say you can't assault after Deep Striking unless you have a special rule allowing it (ie Heroic Intervention)? So it's a firm No! to assaulting out of Drop Pods from me (outside of Planetstrike, as I don't know those rules).

side question.. could a Vanguard vet squad assault out of a DP using "HI" . save a few points on jumppacks.

Nope. Heroic Intervention specifically says it only works when Deep Striking with Jump Packs.

Heroic Intervention doesnt even play into it- they simply dont have the DS rule unless they have JPs, so they dont get the benefits of it without paying 10pts- though Assault marines will be able to assault out of DS for about half the base points.

Assault Marines don't have 'Deep Strike' in their army list entry either. They get it from the jump packs. I don't know any planet strike rules or rumours, but I assume they allow any unit that can regularly deep strike to do the DS-assaulting? If that is so, then Terminators will be able to do that just as much as Assault Marines.

Assault Marines don't have 'Deep Strike' in their army list entry either. They get it from the jump packs. I don't know any planet strike rules or rumours, but I assume they allow any unit that can regularly deep strike to do the DS-assaulting? If that is so, then Terminators will be able to do that just as much as Assault Marines.

Correct. TDA, save for SWs, will be able to assault out of DS.

So will for instance PAGK FA squads.... and since the attacker needs no troops I think well see alot of those from =][= players in the near future.

back to the OP - the C:SM drop pods specifically state that "a unit that Deep Strikes via drop pod may not assault in the turn it arrives."

so no matter what, be it in planetstrike, apocalypse, or standard 40k, the unit in the DP cannot assault. this is a specific case over-riding the general.

Archived