FAQ: Painting Imperial Fists

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting a seige-based IF chapter, and would like to see how people paint their IF's, mainly how they do that gorgeous yellow. I also want to add a fair bit of battle damage to them, any ideas?

A technique that the studio used to use that I've had sucess with is to base coat bleached bone over white and then cover with yellow ink. You can highlight with sunburst yellow and add white or bleached bone, whatever takes your fancy.

Try it you might like it....

Here's how I do yellow for my Imperial Fists.

-Prime White

-Paint it with yellow ink. I use Reaper's Lemon Yellow ink from thier pro-paint line.

-Go over the model with Tamyia Orange Clear. Mostly just geting the panel lanes and such.

-Once the orange has dried give it a 'heavy' drybursh of Desert Yellow(another Reaper paint should be close to Golden Yellow)

-Then a light drybursh of Sunlight. (Reaper paint close to Badmoon yellow I think)

-Then hit the yellow with a light wash of yellow ink.

-Add a few white highlights to the very edges of the armor.

I haven't had alot of luck getting the orange clear to work right so I go back over the panel lines and joints with chestnut ink. Basicly brown lineing them.

Somebody else will have to chime in on doing battle damage as I haven't tried it yet.

Good Heavens LM, thats helped a lot :ph34r:

BTW, how does one go about applying black ink into the recceses?

Don't! The black is much too harsh on the yellow, I tried it, and stripped it immediately afterwards! Try some brown tint for darklining, like thinned down Snakebite Leather.

I wash my yellow with orange and get a good result. But then again my basecoat is bad moon yellow over white primer cuz I love to have that yellow pop. Bleached bone base with yellow highlites looks good for a grim yellow. Then again, I always heard it was a pus-colored yellow - or maybejust in the series of novels i am reading now.

I've been painting Imperial Fist for nearly ten years and I still have a few problems painting yellow, the way I'm painting my new third company is

Base coat of chaos black

several dry brushed layers of vomit brown

a light dry brush of bleached bone

yellow ink

high lighted with bleached bone

I then use a 0.1 water proof black ink pen to colour the recesses

this method raised a few eyebrows in my local GW store but I like the rustic look plus I don't have any nasty streaks

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/fists.jpg

Edited by Apemantus

Yeah, quality of the photo isn't too good the one of captain Vermaas below shows off the method a little better, the marine in the back ground has just been dry bushed vomit brown. I find using a 0.1mm ink pen handy as it isn't as messy as using paint

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/vermaas.jpg

Edited by Apemantus

Personally I don't like using a white primer/basecoat because I cannot see the details on the model well. I like a black basecoat followed by heavy drybrushing with white. For yellow you could drybrush with a brown followed by white then apply a yellow wash. I like Apemantus' technique because it is simple to follow and his Marines look very good. I also really like Obliterator's Imperial Fists because they just look so awesome! :P

- BO

I've been painting Imperial Fist for nearly ten years and I still have a few problems painting yellow, the way I'm painting my new third company is

Base coat of chaos black

several dry brushed layers of vomit brown

a light dry brush of bleached bone

yellow ink

high lighted with bleached bone

I then use a 0.1 water proof black ink pen to colour the recesses

this method raised a few eyebrows in my local GW store but I like the rustic look plus I don't have any nasty streaks

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/funkyjo/fists.jpg

Whee! I love that technique! It looks great, and it seems pretty quick to do! Mind if I nick it?

Cheers, Moribund!

If you like bright yellow. As seen in US WD by Jason Buyaki. His method for painting lamenter yellow:

- Prime Skull White

- Basecoat with a few thinned layers of Golden Yellow

- Apply a mix of Yellow and Chesnut Inks (NOTE: This isn't an exact mix, play with it until you like it, I found 75 yellow and 25 chesnut works pretty well)

- Highlight with a mix of Golden Yellow and Badmoon Yellow

- Extreme Highlight With Badmoon

Artimis

Whee! I love that technique! It looks great, and it seems pretty quick to do! Mind if I nick it?

Yes please do, I'm not aware of any one else who paints yellow marines in this fashion so I'd be interested to know how other people find it. It is quick and you can paint several models at once and i find the best way to paint yellow is to in fact not to use yellow paint at all :P

Edited by Apemantus

• 1 year later...

Okay,

I agreed to help my brother put together a squad of Imperial Fists. Someone help me out with the yellow as I have never done this before.

I was thinking,

white undercoat, foundation IIlayden Darksun, several coats of golden yellow, with some sunburst yellow/skull white highlights

Can anyone help out a guy whose used to painting darker marines?

Thanks in advance.

Yellow can be a ;) to paint, and its taken me several tries to get a method down for a shade I like.

Here's how I do it:

-White basecoat

-Yellow ink

-Chestnut ink

-Several layers of golden yellow/skull white, about 3:1 if i remember right... the white just makes it cover better, which is the main problem I've had painting yellow.

-Highlight by adding more white to the mix.

This ends up with a more golden shade, rather than a banana yellow. I just can't see the Emperor's finest looking like tropical fruit ^_^

Hope this helps, the end result of all this paint looks very striking on the table.

Well from my personal experience, I undercoat in white, then go over the model again with white paint to get a nice even coat to work off of. Then a coat of the IIlayden Darksun, then golden yellow. Hit that with an yellow ink wash, then another coat of golden yellow, then I usally layed down a coat of sunburst yellow. Gives a nice yellow golden color. But then again, YMMV. Hope that helps. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Apemantus,

I have a question concearning your technique:

Do yoiu use the same method for vehicles? I am curious as to the efficacy of dry brushing the big flat sides of a rhino or land raider... It would seem that an airbrush would be the way to go, but then how wold you match the awesome washed look of the infantry...

Thanks,

Richmonk