Drop Pods

rusty1109

Hi all,

This is probably already commonly known but i wanted to be sure:

What can actually go into a drop pod? Obviously a 10 man tactical squad could, what about if i join an IC to the squad before they deep strike, can he arrive in this way as well?

What if my IC is on a bike, i think i'm right in saying he can join the squad, but what about arriving in the drop pod?

And on a slight side note can someone please tell me where it states that a IC (MOTF for example) taking a bike gets increased toughness? The idea makes sense but i can't see where it is stated.

As you can imagine this is being asked with a plan in mind, want to join my MOTF to a squad (it'll probably be an assault/vanguard squad with jump packs removed) And have them deep strike as a 'second wave' of close in assaulting units after my unit of CC scouts have done the business inserted by LS storm.

Many Thanks all,

Rusty

You can put what you like in DPs provided you have the capacity available to fit it all in and you can legally combine the ICs/units.

You have a max capacity of 12 models - so yes a 10-man tac and an IC would fit in.

Rules for bikes (and toughness) are on p100 of the C:SM but basically they follow all the rules of bikes as per the BRB p53 re increased toughness / Relentless etc.

Bikes can't go into DPs as only infantry can be put into them as per p66 of the BRB (unless Codex rules allows otherwise ie the Dread, and Thunderfire options).

Edit

Jump infantry with jump packs can't be put into transports either.

/Edit

Cheers

I

Bikes can't go into DPs as only infantry can be put into them as per p66 of the BRB (unless Codex rules allows otherwise ie the Dread, and Thunderfire options).

I assume you are referring to this:

"Only infantry models may embark in transports (it is worth specifying that this does not include jump infantry), unless a Codex book states otherwise."

The only reason I ask is because I can hear people trying to argue things like, "Where does it say Bikes aren't Infantry?" I think it's pretty obvious they aren't, because the rules never indicate they are Infantry... just that they use many of the same rules as Infantry. To me, that is same reason Vehicle Ramming isn't a subset of Tank Shock... they just use many of the same rules.

I don't want to derail this thread into something completely different (especially since the original topic has been answered) so please, only PM me your response, or start a different thread.

Annoyingly enouph an IC on a bike IS still an infantry unit, and thus by RAW can enter a transport. A model is what it says it is in the profile unless modified by something else. The jump pack says any model uquiped with it becomes jump infantry. The space marine bike (wargear) says any model equiped with it fallows the rules of bikes. So you turn to page 53 of the rulebook (the rules for bikes) and aply those to your model (this is also where it says you get the toughness bonus), however this is not where the bikes cannot embark rule is, so it DOESNT apply to the IC on the bike. The bikes cannot embark rule is in the transport section, so the unit class of "bike" cannot go into a transport, however as stated the marine bike wargear does not change the models unit type. This is the same loophole (though a bit more extreme) than the one that lets chaos models with wings enter transports.

Note: I would not do this, and your are an ass if you do, but you will be in the right by RAW

It is not a loophole. It simply does not sound very good to write "Models equipped with Space Marine Bikes are Bikes", so they did not use the exact same phrase they used for Jump Packs. That Bikes cannot enter transports or Buildings are still rules for Bikes, even if these rules are not described in the "bikes" section of the rulebook.

If the rules saya model follows all of the rules for bikes but you do something with it which bikes cannot usually do, you are not actually following all of the rules for bikes, are you?

The only reason I ask is because I can hear people trying to argue things like, "Where does it say Bikes aren't Infantry?"

Then, to hush those annoying voices, point them to pages 4 and 5 of the rulebook where it lists exactly what the different types of models are. Bikes and jetbikes are listed as their own entry, completely seperate (so much that they're even on a seperate page ;) ) from 'Infantry'. And a model that gets a bike and is said to follow all rules for bikes will also follow this, changing them from Infantry, or whatever they were, to a biker/jetbiker unit.

Hence why i said assault squad with jump packs removed. Thanks guys for the quick response, i'll have to think of something else!

assault squad or vanguard without jump packs and an IC or two in a pod is perfectly legal.

Yep doesn't look like i'm going to be doing this. Any rule that requires a slideshow for your opponent to understand it isn't one that you should go with.

It's not all that difficult, just use the unit type pages and check what the unit, or model has for wargear, bikes? no. vanguards? no. vanguards who ditched their jump packs? you'r OK.

Mel

Archived