Drop Pods

Schertenleib

A good question! Only one in three wolf guard bodyguard can carry heavy weapons. The most your getting is three. One character in power armor, five wolf guard in power armor, and three wolf guard in terminator armor. Eight wolf guard divided by three rounded up is three. Three terminators and six power armor models fill up the transport capacity of twelve.

Well it was not my load-out it was made by Wolflordlars so he needs to be credited.

WGBL - FB/AC - TDA, RC, WP

WGBG1 - AC/PW - TDA, RC, WP

WGBG2 - AC/PW - TDA, RC, WP

WGBG3 - AC/PF - TDA, RC, WP

WGBG4 - Combi-Bolter/SS - RC

WGBG5 - BP/SS - RC

WGBG6 - BP/SS - RC

WGBG7 - BP/SS - RC

3 Wolf Guard in TDA and the Wolf Guard Battle Leader that CAN take Wolf Guard heavy weapons.

Yes, that is due to a (most likely mistaken) clarification in the Space Wolves FaQ that the Wolf Guard battle leader can chose weapon options from the Wolf Guard bodyguard, which makes sense neitehr as fluff nor as a game mechanic, but most Space Wolves players seem to be embracing it.

However, I would contest that the Wolf Guard battle leader would still be limited by the amount of heavy weapons his bodyguard can have, making 4 heavy weapons only possible if the unit is exactly 10 members strong. The unit above has only 8 models so would only be allowed three heavy weapons.

Yes, that is due to a (most likely mistaken) clarification in the Space Wolves FaQ that the Wolf Guard battle leader can chose weapon options from the Wolf Guard bodyguard, which makes sense neitehr as fluff nor as a game mechanic, but most Space Wolves players seem to be embracing it.

However, I would contest that the Wolf Guard battle leader would still be limited by the amount of heavy weapons his bodyguard can have, making 4 heavy weapons only possible if the unit is exactly 10 members strong. The unit above has only 8 models so would only be allowed three heavy weapons.

Youd be wrong- hes a seperate unit Legatus, and as 1/3 rouding up is 1 he gets one heavy weapon all to himself.

The bodygaurd, being a seperate unit follows the same rule for each bodygaurd unit- so if you have 4 wolf gaurd in two squads each can have two heavy weapons, for a total of 4 heay weapons in 8 WG. Its basic fractions.

Also- note that SWs have been able to do this since 3rd edition, its just been a bone of contention with some players. It states specificly in the WGBL entry:

The Wolf Gaurd Battle Leader may be given any equipment allowed from the Space Wolves Armoury and/or the Wolf Gaurd entry in the army list.

If you go to the Wolf Gaurd entry in the army list it shows only one type of equipment is listed- heavy weapons. A number of players had mistaken the above rule entry to mean they could buy equipment for a WGBL at WG prices instead of IC prices- and this has been FAQ'd as incorrect since 3rd edition tell the current day.

It also makes perfect sense from a fluff point of veiw- no matter what his FOC slot is hes still a wolf gaurd, hes just the one appointed to command and thus would keep his previous equipment unless issued new items by the wolf lord. So if hes in TDA with an assault cannon then he keeps it when put in charge of a small force unless the boss says no.

Edit: And dont anyone tell me that HQs dont have heavy weapons in any other army- Eldar Autarchs have reaper launchers, Vulkan Hestan has a heavy flamer, Necrons have the Staff of Light, Orks have Big Meks and do I even need to list the number of Heavy Weapon options available to Hive Tyrands and Tyranid Warriors? That of all the marine codices over the years one would allow a PA player to do what many other armies have been doing is not that odd. Heck, theres even another example- GKs can put a psycannon on their BC HQ choice.

Now that's interresting. Reading the entry in my recently acquired english Codex Space Wolves for the first time I see that it does say that there, while I also checked and noticed that in the translated Codex I have been using for years it does not say so.

The bodygaurd, being a seperate unit follows the same rule for each bodygaurd unit- so if you have 4 wolf gaurd in two squads each can have two heavy weapons, for a total of 4 heay weapons in 8 WG. Its basic fractions.

I thought we were talking about a single unit, arriving in the single first turn drop pod, though.

It also makes perfect sense from a fluff point of veiw- no matter what his FOC slot is hes still a wolf gaurd, hes just the one appointed to command and thus would keep his previous equipment unless issued new items by the wolf lord. So if hes in TDA with an assault cannon then he keeps it when put in charge of a small force unless the boss says no.

GW did point out in several FaQs that the Wolf Guard battle leader is to be treated as separate from the regular Wolf Guard in almost every other way, like not counting towards the 20 men limit and not chosing wargear from their collumn. There is a bit of an inconsistency issue here.

Now that's interresting. Reading the entry in my recently acquired english Codex Space Wolves for the first time I see that it does say that there, while I also checked and noticed that in the translated Codex I have been using for years it does not say so.

I thought we were talking about a single unit, arriving in the single first turn drop pod, though.

Its a HQ+Retinue... good ol 3rd ed codex you know.

GW did point out in several FaQs that the Wolf Guard battle leader is to be treated as separate from the regular Wolf Guard in almost every other way, like not counting towards the 20 men limit and not chosing wargear from their collumn. There is a bit of an inconsistency issue here.

Hes still a Wolf Gaurd for Fluff purposes... one of the reasons when we were estimating the number of wolves I had more men than you did- I estimated on about four WGBLs. The inconsistency issue is in the translation... probly one of the reaons why this idea was not fully accepted until the most recent FAQ- gods know I had to show alot of people the wording to get them to let me.

4 TDA models (including Wolf Guard Battle Leader) = 8 PA models

4 PA models = 4 PA models

12 models in DP (because we use the new Drop Pods)

Seeing as you take 1 Heavy Weapon per 3 Wolf Guard and you round up, you get 3 Heavy Weapons for the pack, and one for the Wolf Guard Battle Leader.

So you can have the full pack, half in TDA with AC/PW (FB in WGBL's case), half in PA with combi-plasmas. Stick in drop pod, aim at enemy and designate for 1st turn drop. Get first turn using Venerable Dreadnought's Old and Wise. Self-explanatory from here. :lol:

Looks like the WGBL can only have 4 in his retinue. So WGBL with retinue is 5 models in a drop pod. No other units can be in the drop pod. Still doesn't account for 4 AC's, in my view.

Wolf Gaurd Bodygaurds are 4-9, and you can have them in any combination of PA or TDA.

WGBL- 1 heavy weapon.

1-3 WGBGs- 1 extra heavy weapon.

4-6 WGBGs- 2 extra heavy weapons.

7-9 WGBGs- 3 extra heavy weapons.

Wether they are in PA or TDA makes no difference to the squad size for these purposes- however only a TDA equiped wolf gaurd can carry a CML, AC, or HF, while only PA Wolf Gaurd can cary Missile Launchers, Lascannons, heavy bolters, multimeltas or plasmacannons, and they pay alot for a PA heavy weapon that cant move and shoot- so most people only take the TDA weapons.

I did get that confused with the 4 wolves. Looking closer, the body guard entry, says that they can only use a landraider, if they are wearing terminator armour. FAQ for SW, seems to back that up, as you can use drop pod rules, but you rely on the SW codex for who is allowed in a drop pod. wolfguard can't use drop pods.

I did get that confused with the 4 wolves. Looking closer, the body guard entry, says that they can only use a landraider, if they are wearing terminator armour. FAQ for SW, seems to back that up, as you can use drop pod rules, but you rely on the SW codex for who is allowed in a drop pod. wolfguard can't use drop pods.

Ahem *cough*

Who can drop pod?

From Codex: Space Wolves.

any Space Marine model in power or Terminator armor, Space Marine Scouts, Dreadnoughts, and landspeeders.

From the 5th edition FAQ

Drop Pods: Use the rules for Drop Pods in

Codex: Space Marines. Follow the Codex: Space

Wolves list of models that can utilize Drop Pods

and

Will Not Teleport: Simply means that Space

Wolves in Terminator armour cannot Deep Strike

on their own by teleporting (but they can use a

Drop Pod).

Going by this, they can take one, and they can do so for free. Why? Because it says we use the rules, it never says we pay for them. Im a good sport, and say some interpretation is needed- they pay for the pods to use the rules, just like they pay for the rhinos to use their rules.

WGBGs in TDA can most certainly ride in a drop pod.

We use the rules from C:SM for how to Drop Pod, but we use the rules from C:SW as to who can Drop Pod. In C:SW, under the Drop Pods rule, Terminators are listed as being able to Drop Pod. It's GW's way of saying "Sorry, you can't Teleport Assault, so here, ride in screaming metal bullets instead!"

Edit: Damn you Grey, you ninja'd me as I was typing a zoggin' response... *grumble grumble*

We use the rules from C:SM for how to Drop Pod, but we use the rules from C:SW as to who can Drop Pod. In C:SW, under the Drop Pods rule, Terminators are listed as being able to Drop Pod. It's GW's way of saying "Sorry, you can't Teleport Assault, so here, ride in screaming metal bullets instead!"

It also spells it out in the Errata of "Will not teleport".

*hands Bran an ale* It ok man, just shows weve both done our homework right? ^_^. Havent seen you in the Fang much, you should visit more often.

For official GW ink, check my siggy- first link. I actually had to take a look myself. ^_^

Edit: *takes ale* Got a membership for D&D Insider. That character builder of their's... :drool: :drool: That and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. When I do get on the B&C, I've been running round the various forums for a change.

Going by this, they can take one, and they can do so for free. Why? Because it says we use the rules, it never says we pay for them.

The rules for drop pods from page 135 (C:SM) do come with a 35 pts price tag, and that is the only place where it mentions the storm bolter armament, so you evidently cannot just use the "rules" from the drop pod unit description on page 69.

From the SW codex Wolf body guard can only use Landraiders, even if they are in terminator armour. I don't play SW, I'm just saying, the SW codex and SW FAQ, backs that up. Read the Elite section, as we were originally discussing Wolf Body Guard, and not terminators. They are still Wolf body guard, even with terminator armour.

From the SW codex Wolf body guard can only use Landraiders, even if they are in terminator armour. I don't play SW, I'm just saying, the SW codex and SW FAQ, backs that up. Read the Elite section, as we were originally discussing Wolf Body Guard, and not terminators. They are still Wolf body guard, even with terminator armour.

The FAQ states:

Will Not Teleport: Simply means that Space

Wolves in Terminator armour cannot Deep Strike

on their own by teleporting (but they can use a

Drop Pod).

Now, doesnt that say "they can use a drop pod".

Yep.

That line is just clarification that TDA WG can't take the Rhino or Razorback transports.

Archived