Templates and vehicles

veidin

Hey my friend and I couldnt find it in the rulebook, but does template weapons follow the same rules as buildings? D6 units are hit if there are fire points and if shot at the fire point? Also does open topped vehicles change anything with templates and how many models are hit? If you do hit the models inside where is that in the book cause I couldnt find it. :( Thanks!

As models in transports are out of line of sight, you cannot shoot at them other than with direct-fire weapons that don't need line of sight (I think only Tau have such a weapon). Unfortunately, the not very clear Transport rules are not the same as the Building rules (though I think they should be), so despite the extra clarifications in the Buildings section, they are not used with vehicles. Enclosed transport, open-topped, doesn't matter; no template weapons at vehicles.

there are, however, no rules that keep models in a transport from being hit by indirect fire. it's a stupid, obviously not RAI loophole, but it is there - typical GW. I know of no one who plays it as such, even amongst those that argue for it's legality here.

there are, however, no rules that keep models in a transport from being hit by indirect fire. it's a stupid, obviously not RAI loophole, but it is there - typical GW. I no of no one who plays it as such, even amongst those that argue for it's legality here.

Exept for their being no way for indirect fire to hit them you mean, the only things capable of indirect fire are are blast and template weapons, which determin hits by the base being under the marker/template. Models in transports dont have thier bases on the table. If I am wrong explain to me please because I am interested, but I can think of no way to hit something in a transport. Well unless they do the "put a model on top to represent it being there" bit, but that opens a whole nother can off worms.

No, not really. Nothing in the smart missile rules indicate they can shoot at units not even on the table, and embarked units are not on the table until they disembark. You can't shoot at units in reserve, and you can't shoot at embarked units, per RAW.

40K uses a permissive ruleset; it tells you what you can do.

The rulebook FaQ rules against using psychic powers against units embarked on a vehicle (unless the Psyker happens to be with them in the same transport). For the lack of a specific declaration in the rulebook that an embarked unit cannot be picked as a target, that FaQ ruling is a pretty good indication that they indeed are not.

In previous editions of 40k, you use to be able to hit models in an open-top vehicle with a template; however, that is not an available option in 5th Ed versus vehicles. Buildings, while using many of the same rules as vehicles, are not vehicles, and do have special rule for using templates to hit occupants.

SJ

that just it, there is no rule saying they can no be targeted or that they are not on the table, they are remove from the table to show there in the transport, so they are on the table, they can still fire though firing points and so on. it is a loop hole with the rule and a old codex,

Lets' not go down the route of whether an embarked unit is on or off the table as that has been dicussed at length elsewhere and I don't want a repeat of it all here too.

As far as the original question re: templates and vehicles, it has been answered.

Cheers

I

Archived