A noob with melta bombs!

Wayward

Hey there, recently a question arised in my gaming group and we cant seem to get a straight answer, so here I am asking you lads: Do melta bombs actually have PF of any kind? Melta weapons do have PF 1, thus adding 1 in the vehicle damage table, but melta bombs just says 8+2D6... Some argue this means PF -, this being the case we had to substract 1 in the VDT, but seems wrong... A third party (in wich I am included) believes grenades just do not have PF, so no add/substract on the VDT regarding PF. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Only ranged weapons have an armour penetration value (used against non-vehicle models armour saves). Close combat weapons or attacks do not have that, they either allow all saves or they go directly through armour, like a powerweapon or powerfist.

Meltabombs are used for close combat attacks, so they do not have an armour penetration value.

Meltabombs may only be used in close combat with vehicles, thus, they don't have an AP. I wouldn't treat them at AP- or AP1. I don't have my rulebooks in front of me, though. Read the Meltabomb entry in the BRB one more time and see if it doesn't say.

All meltas are of the melta weapon type and roll an extra d6 for armour penetration at close enough range.

Ranged meltas are listed as AP1 so gain +1 on the damage chart roll.

Melta grenades have no listed AP rating so get no bonus nor penalty. They are not AP1 or AP-, they are AP(blank). I guess rear armour bonus is enough.

Taking this on a stage for a specific problem I've had in games recently: Necron monolith's deny weapons any 'extra' dice on the vehicel damage table (i.e. melta, rending etc.) Does the meltabombs 8+2d6 constitute and 'extra' d6? I'd say, reading it, that it doesn't, but on the other hand I can see the argument that it's intended to be a 'melta' weapon, it's just always at short range with an extra d6 damage.

What does the panel think? :o

M.

It says additional d6. Every weapon gets d6 armour penetration and then there are weapons that gain an additional d6 (old rending, chainfists and melta weapons) It is considered that they gain an extra d6 armour penetration. Of course this is just my opinion but that's what my brain tells me.

just one tiny comment at Mikal and then i'll shut up about the m bomb thing:

at p63 it says 8+2d6 not additional d6.

Thank you and good night

Mel

The best way to boil down the melta bombs and monolith gray area is that the monolith rule only talks about allowing weapon's S +1d6. However, grenades don't have a defined S value, just a set of numbers with which to determine penetration. So how it should be treated is a grey area that goes from 1d6 only (because it has no defined S value) to 8 +2d6.

all should redirect monolith vs. meltabomb questions to the appropriate thread.

the OP's question - AP (or "PF") of meltabombs (answer: not relevant, does not count as 1, nor -) has been answered.

Archived