Bring back more metal

I like the 'feel' of the metal models, being heavier than the plastic ones; but if I had to pick it'd go for the plastic. I can't leave a model alone and that is way easier w/ the softer plastic...

- D

Paint chips easily from the edges of metal models, something plastic ones doesn't suffer from.

Totally agree, hence why i despise metal models :P I can tell why they use metal though - it's to get all the fiddly details that they probably can't achieve with plastic (which would be rubbish considering it only requires a more complex mould which isn't that hard to do)

See my signature... ;)

Metals are the way to go; I have several armies that are fully metal (save the tanks) and almost lament the move towards plastics. It's true that plastics are easier to handle, assemble and convert but truth be told, I find metals not that hard to convert with the correct tools and some patience. Besides, there are few things more reassuring than a Full Metal Dreadnought © plonking on the table...

Metal all the way baby!!! gallery_745_1071_227.gif

Metals are the way to go; I have several armies that are fully metal (save the tanks) and almost lament the move towards plastics. It's true that plastics are easier to handle, assemble and convert but truth be told, I find metals not that hard to convert with the correct tools and some patience. Besides, there are few things more reassuring than a Full Metal Dreadnought © plonking on the table...

Metal all the way baby!!! gallery_745_1071_227.gif

My thoughts exactly. Metal paints better, and generally has a better look and "feel". Metal FTW.

Always plastic. GW do a lot of things wrong, but plastic box sets are always full to the brim with extra stuff and bitz to build and convert. Yes, metal minis generally look better/have more detail. And simpler conversions like head- and weaponswaps are not hard to do, but ever tried bitz/scratchbuilding with metal as a base?

They both have good and bad points, I as someone who is mainly in the hobby for painting, metal miniatures are best ( in my opinion ) as they have way more detail and fancy stuff. As for plastic, well great for converting and it is cheap. I'm mean I wouldn't want to think about the cost for a full metal space marine 5000 points army :jaw:

Plastic ! no doubt... metal have nice detailes yes.. but plastic is the winner for me love to convert and make my own chars and all so no metal att all if i can avoid it... resine is werry nice and detaild too... but a big but there though.. and thats the resin being werry fragile...

Plastic for everything except for characters, then I usually prefer metal. Plastic is cheaper, lighter, doesn't chip as easily, is easier to convert, and I can 'make' my own models so I dont have doubles or miniatures that I don't like. However metal miniatures can have more detail and have a certain bulk to them that I prefer for something like a captain as they stand out from the plastic troops.

Resin. As detailed has metal, and easy to convert-paint as plastic (without the "oh it falls and now the paint is chip" disease). Maybe not very cheap but what the hell, nothing on this hobby is cheap XD

No, resin suffers from the "falls down and now it shatters" disease.

Resin looks awesome but breaks easy, especially tiny parts. I HATE metal. Too much of a pain in many respects. I will be glad when the day comes that you see NO MORE metal models....

Plastic within. Plastic without.

Paint chips easily from the edges of metal models, something plastic ones doesn't suffer from.

Totally agree, hence why i despise metal models <_< I can tell why they use metal though - it's to get all the fiddly details that they probably can't achieve with plastic (which would be rubbish considering it only requires a more complex mould which isn't that hard to do)

yeah they could use the same mould but pour plastic into it. can't wait for the day they realise this and i can have a box of 10 multi part plastic sternguard/vanguard

Well, no, you cannot just pour platic into a mold. The methods are different for the moulding, the plastic is high pressure injection molding, and the metal is not, so you cannot just put plastic into the metal mold. Also the metal and Plastic molds are made differently.

On topic: I like both, but the plastic these days is just amazing. Although, I do like to use some metal models for characters, as I find the detail is better, but for the standard guys plastic all the way.

GW has gotten really good with their plastic moulds, to the point where the difference in detail isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Considering that, I see no reason to not use plastic. If everything was metal, I can guarantee that we wouldn't see nearly the same amount of conversions. I mean, look at everything that people have done with the AoBR dread. It's one of the most converted minis, AFAIK. If it was metal, we definitely wouldn't get the same amount of creativity.

Resin. As detailed has metal, and easy to convert-paint as plastic (without the "oh it falls and now the paint is chip" disease). Maybe not very cheap but what the hell, nothing on this hobby is cheap XD

No, resin suffers from the "falls down and now it shatters" disease.

Resin looks awesome but breaks easy, especially tiny parts. I HATE metal. Too much of a pain in many respects. I will be glad when the day comes that you see NO MORE metal models....

Plastic within. Plastic without.

Make sure the resin models dont fall then. ;)

Metal!

I love metal models they just have a better feel over all and if you got the time and the skills they are easy to convert

plastic is great for bits but overall metal models are better in all ways and chipping is not that big of a deal as i dont think alot of people are throwing their models across the table.

Archived