Bring back more metal

I love converting and find metal can be a right pain to do decent conversions on and I just love how versatile many plastic kits are, I couldn't collect an all/mostly metal army. Also squads like sternguard and vanguard, whilst they do have better detail than the plastic kits, I just cant stand to field multiple copies of the same model in a squad and I think half decent plastic conversions look comparable to the metals when painted. Also I swear almost every single metal sword/spear/staff has been bent and I always get so fixated on getting it perfectly straight again that I weaken the metal:(

plastic all the way,Metal is ;) to super glue and such

plus conversions, plus not fun to paint,plus you will always see that model everywhere you go so originality is out unless your a paint guru or master of the dremel

Im going with plastic for both counts, as i like moddaling with plastic as its easier, but also find it nicer to paint.

As said before i like converting, and its a pain with metal, and plastic models you can make your own, and not have them look the same as someone elses, thats why im making my sternguard out of plastic and converting alot of the models in the 10man team.

Just my opinion.

plastic all the way,Metal is <_< to super glue and such

plus conversions, plus not fun to paint,plus you will always see that model everywhere you go so originality is out unless your a paint guru or master of the dremel

Mate, use something called Araldite. It's much much stronger than superglue and actually works

Plastic for me, as i love changing poses and all that of my guys. As others say the paint doesn't chip as easy, or rub off when painting it (good priming and prep usually stop this). They are really both the same for me anyway as for "feel" of painting. Another reason is i feel that sometimes the metal figures just have too much "bling" on them what just makes them far to cluttered and silly looking, new Vulcan model anyone :huh: . This is just my opinion tho and can understand respect why people like metal more, just as others like resin, just its plastic for me.

For me it goes a little somethin' like this:

Metals

Pros:

- Very sturdy, can stand quite a lot of punishment

- Always guaronteed to not break immediately when you drop it

- Easily paintable

- Great for stand-ins/proxys

- Greenstuff sticks to it much better than on plastic

Cons:

- Little/no chance of personal customizations other than GS, paintjobs, and part swaps. Even then the choices are limited drastically.

- Paint chips off much easier than on plastic. Though this could be a Pro if you actually want to remove the paint... hmm

- Depending on the glue, you have a 50-50 chance of keeping the multypart metal peices stuck in place. GS can help with this, but who really wants to waste it by just sticking parts together?

Plastics

Pros:

- Best customization options. Can use parts from completely different armies to make minis, while metals must use parts from their army in order to look good.

- Gluing takes no time at all, compared to the stick and pray methods of medal models.

- Can churn out squads in a matter of hours, unlike medals which take a few days to fully dry.

- Mold lines can be taken off with an easy 2 minute filing session, medals take atleast 15 minutes for a smooth finish (varies depending on work speed)

- Far wider range of minis than medal counterparts.

Cons:

- Dropping them does nothing to paint, but breaking occurs much faster with plastics

- Painting cannot occur without a primed coat underneath (well, not as easily anyway), while metals can be painted on directly after a quick wash

- Tend to cost a bit more since they come in larger groups than medals which come in packs of 1-5

I personally can't decide between the two because both have their awesome advantages, and frustraiting disadvantages. I choose to use whichever is best to help me model on certain particular projects. Of course, these are just my two cents.

Archived