Vs Imperial Guard

Ok, I will be playing my first game in about six months this sunday and it happens to be against the new guard. Im not sure what kind of list i should write up but right now im leaning toward a list with three dreadnaughts. If you all have any odd ideas throw them in, im looking for something out of the box so none of the standard tourny stuff.

Stay away from the Dreads. They might be cheap, but they could easily wipe out your own army.

I'd say look for Obliterators, that way you'd have something that can take on Tank Guard (Multi-Melta/Lascannon) or Infantry Guard (Plasma Cannons, Heavy Flamers)...

Fast attack, possibly toss in some Raptors for manuvourability.

And definitely get a daemon prince, in my experience, even with bring it down it takes several solid turns of shooting at it by the guard, as it rampages through their lines, before they down it plenty of time to move other things. Favourite combination is warptime + Winds + wings + mark of tzeentch.

If you all have any odd ideas throw them in, im looking for something out of the box so none of the standard tourny stuff.

In that case, here is what I'd do

1) Go with 2-3 squads of CSMs, Plague Marines or Berserkers each 15-20 bodies strong.

2) Support them with large (8-10) man Raptor squads

3) Take a pair of Land Raiders

4) Dreadnoughts can be used alongside the Raiders to make a wall of armor and provide a cover save to the troops behind it

Basic plan is to move up with armor, absorbing their main firepower. All the vehicles have atleast AV12 on the side, so the inevitable Vendetta Outflank will be less of an issue.

Once you're in range, split the armor up and run your infantry through the gaps and get into HtH.

If you all have any odd ideas throw them in, im looking for something out of the box so none of the standard tourny stuff.

In that case, here is what I'd do

1) Go with 2-3 squads of CSMs, Plague Marines or Berserkers each 15-20 bodies strong.

2) Support them with large (8-10) man Raptor squads

3) Take a pair of Land Raiders

4) Dreadnoughts can be used alongside the Raiders to make a wall of armor and provide a cover save to the troops behind it

Basic plan is to move up with armor, absorbing their main firepower. All the vehicles have atleast AV12 on the side, so the inevitable Vendetta Outflank will be less of an issue.

Once you're in range, split the armor up and run your infantry through the gaps and get into HtH.

Dude i love it....HUUUUGE squads to make him shake in fear as i advance up the board. Gonna start with the three dreads on the board and nothing else if the mission permits, then roll everything else on after the fact. Probably do base CSMs though in squads of 20.

Stay away from the Dreads. They might be cheap, but they could easily wipe out your own army.

I'd say look for Obliterators, that way you'd have something that can take on Tank Guard (Multi-Melta/Lascannon) or Infantry Guard (Plasma Cannons, Heavy Flamers)...

Fast attack, possibly toss in some Raptors for manuvourability.

And definitely get a daemon prince, in my experience, even with bring it down it takes several solid turns of shooting at it by the guard, as it rampages through their lines, before they down it plenty of time to move other things. Favourite combination is warptime + Winds + wings + mark of tzeentch.

No marks in my list, i run Word Bearers so only undivided. Also probably gonna be taking a termy lord with a single lightning claw so got the hq part down. Not looking to win, just looking for oddball stuff.

Rhinos with Havoc launchers I run my basic army with 4 of these and, in my opinion, they were put in to destroy armies like IG, 48" range with S5 AP5 TLblast... yes please.

If you're going with the above ideas though then I would suggest perhaps Defilers, battle cannon means lots of guard dead fast and the excellent close combat capabilities will give it an extra fear factor over your other armour.

I would suggest perhaps Defilers, will give it an extra fear factor over your other armour.

I don't understand the whole "fear factor" concept.

Defiler is only armor 12, IG can have alot of LC's (glance on 3's, pen. on 4+) unless your playing w/ big terrain enough to give defiler 4+ invul, it will take only a few of their many hvy weops to kill 2 defilers on 1st turn. Defiler was a good, fun and interesting idea, they just made the model WAY too big.

I agree on defilers being to big... their only use is for building custom models that need legs... like brass scorpions and knight titans. They are NOT a fear factor against guard. Its an armor 12 battle cannon on legs. They commonly have whole armies of armor 14 battle cannons. It might be a fear factor weapon against marines, its going to have an inferiority complex when it runs into some Leman Russ battle tanks.

Anyways I agree on a lot of the stuff said so far, except running two LRs. I only say this because you stated you are new to chaos. LRs are great, but I would get use to the army before dropping that kind of cash on something that in my experience few chaos players use regularly. I have 2 LRs, and I also have about 10,000pts of mechanized chaos, and I only field both of them in 5000+ games, and one in 2500+ games. Under 2500pts I find my rhinos and some deep striking does fine. I think LRs are even less useful now that terminators can always DS, and between squad icons and personal icons the field is likely covered in teleport homers.

I also agree with loosing the dreadnoughts. Now pure close combat dreads can be interesting, since they aren't much of a threat to your own army and tend to draw lots of fire for their low point value, but shooting dreads are even more dangerous now then they were before(shoot nearest unit, instead of shooting friendlies 'only' if it couldn't shoot enemies).... to your own army, not the enemy :lol: . It saddens me, after buying an IW forgeworld dread that will probably only see battle if I can drop pod him.

Lots marines is good, either in rhinos* or as spread out as possible, take full advantage of your 2" between guys. And make sure to make use of the 'run' rule. Make sure some of these marines have melta guns, or plasma guns(for those tanks). Flamers are good against guardsmen, but chainswords are better ;) , get in close combat and the game is yours. Save your special weapon slots for anti tank when facing guard.

*read some rhino tactica first, used incorrectly is just going to mean a lot of marines standing out in the open.

And since your running WBs may I advise some demons. No they aren't the nasty things we had in the past... but they will do fine against guard, and they are REALLY fluffy for WBs.

I'm also going to say have some obliterators. They are the most well rounded shooty units by definition. If he fields tanks, they can handle it(especially if you DS behind him), and they are pretty good against infantry as well.

Anyways I agree on a lot of the stuff said so far, except running two LRs. I only say this because you stated you are new to chaos. LRs are great, but I would get use to the army before dropping that kind of cash on something that in my experience few chaos players use regularly. I have 2 LRs, and I also have about 10,000pts of mechanized chaos, and I only field both of them in 4000+ games.

Actually Ironwind, Smurf is a fairly experienced Chaos player. I think he meant more that he hasn't played in awhile. :lol:

As for the advice, I agree that Land Raiders are difficult to use well, I've toyed with them in the past but their flexibility is a pain to really master (sure wish we had the incredibly simple but powerful LRC sometimes...).

Anyways I agree on a lot of the stuff said so far, except running two LRs. I only say this because you stated you are new to chaos. LRs are great, but I would get use to the army before dropping that kind of cash on something that in my experience few chaos players use regularly. I have 2 LRs, and I also have about 10,000pts of mechanized chaos, and I only field both of them in 4000+ games.

Actually Ironwind, Smurf is a fairly experienced Chaos player. I think he meant more that he hasn't played in awhile. ;)

As for the advice, I agree that Land Raiders are difficult to use well, I've toyed with them in the past but their flexibility is a pain to really master (sure wish we had the incredibly simple but powerful LRC sometimes...).

Thanks mini, i was kinda put off that i was considered a noob :P (joke)

I ended up playing two games with him on sunday and the first we finished in 1.5 hours so we did a second since it was only 2:30pm. Will do a mini battle report for ya.

The first game:

This game was very interesting in the fact that i ran the three dreadnought list. Termy lord w/single lightning claw+combi-melta. x3 dreads (lefty setup with missile launcher+CCW) and extra armor. x3 CSM squads in rhinos with melta/flamer/champ PF. x2 defilers.

This list actually hung on fairly well. He didnt take alot of lascannons (two total i think) but he had a butt ton of auto cannons. He nicked up the dreads fairly well the first two turns but never actually destroyed or immobilized any of them (untill turn three). The first two turns he actually didnt kill a single model yet, and we were having great fun at his expense. One of the dreads blood raged the first two turns and hit melee against a unit (making it run for the hills). My term lord was the only thing to hop in from reserve on turn two, it popped in behind a demolisher and smoked it with his combi-melta. This game was a true beating UNTIL turn three. All three of my dreads went nuts and we ended up with a mexican standoff. One dread turned and shot another dread, the second dread turned and shot a defiler that just walked on the board, the third dread turned and smoked the first dread. This put the back armor to my opponent on two of the dreads.

Whats better about this whole situation is all three troop units in rhinos came on the board along with a defiler so i had alot on by board edge in one quarter. The sneaky bugger actually had a deathstrike missile launcher in the back of his army and it happened to go off at this point, but not before he used auto cannons to open up a few rhinos and leave the troops exposed. Anywho, the deathstrike missile hits in the middle of this gaggle and ends up killed a full unit of CSMs, 9 out of another unit, destroying the third rhino and killing two guys inside as its vehicle explodes, the defiler was nicked and ended up exploding and blowing up another two CSMs. I have to admit, it was very epic in scale. I went from dominating the game to 100% on the ropes. We ended up in a draw with me clinging a few marines onto the objectives in my area.

GAME 2:

This game went a little better for me. Pulled out the good ole possessed. Got rending on one, and fleet of foot on the other, both dominated the game. I also had a daemon prince with wings and warptime, 4 CSM units two in rhinos two 5 man units with nothing but bolters, and some lesser daemons to fill out some points (two squads of 8 if i remember right). This game was more my style of play and the possessed did their job and soaked fire while running from terrain piece to terrain piece while moving forward. My marines screamed up the board in their rhinos and dumped their lesser daemons on turn two, which promptly made it to melee vs two different units of his making them run. He ran the same list so the demolisher was taking chunks out of whatever he shot at. I finally got in melee with my daemon prince and ated it, though he paid the ultimate price and died to flash lights immediately after (bring it down! + first rank fire second rank fire can actually put some hurt on a single model). In the end he was huddled in the corner as my methodical possessed advance marched up the board and he ended up having to ignore them to deal with lesser daemons and daemon prince. They hit melee and the game quickly esscalated into a killing zone. The death strike went off and ended up taking out my two units of 5 marines sitting on objectives, but i ended up running his army off the board so was a victory.

Was a fun game, though he ran some oddball stuff and is still trying to get a grasp on what he likes and what he doesnt like. The deathstrike is a blast to play against though obviously it wont be very impressive in tourny play. I can imagine in apoc having 10 of these things hidden in a corner and laughing every turn. I do know if you ignore it, it can bite you hard. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thats a great pair of battle reports Smurf.

Sadly we keep hearing the same thing from the Dreadnoughts, good when they don't go crazy but you just can't trust them.

Any game where you can have that kind of turn around has to be fun I say, besides seeing that many things die at once from a super missile is always entertaining.

Thanks mini, i was kinda put off that i was considered a noob tongue.gif (joke)

Sorry, read first post wrong. I thought you were saying you were playing your first game in 6 months on a Sunday... a Sunday 6 months from now. Guess first game played in 6 months being this Sunday does make more sense.

Thanks for the battle reports. Sorry to hear about the dreads. I've wanted to field mine, but I haven't out of fear of... well what happened to you. Its like giving the three stooges rocket launchers and tanks, fun to watch... as long as its not your house their rampaging through.

Sadly we keep hearing the same thing from the Dreadnoughts, good when they don't go crazy but you just can't trust them.
Interesting. I've had nothing but good experiences with dreadnoughts, typically only going nuts once a game, and also typically they are nearer to an enemy than me, so the fire frenzy is great fun. Plasma cannon = bye bye space marines (though not mine!).

third dread turned and smoked the first dread
How did you manage to do this with S4 weapons?! Unless of course, that first dread had turned its rear armor toward the 3rd...

Interesting. I've had nothing but good experiences with dreadnoughts, typically only going nuts once a game, and also typically they are nearer to an enemy than me, so the fire frenzy is great fun. Plasma cannon = bye bye space marines (though not mine!).

third dread turned and smoked the first dread
How did you manage to do this with S4 weapons?! Unless of course, that first dread had turned its rear armor toward the 3rd...

None of them actually hurt eachother, two just turned their backs to the enemy and made his autocannons crucial vs them (especially with "take it down!" command). The dreads were fun though and thats the point of the list.

Thanks mini, i was kinda put off that i was considered a noob tongue.gif (joke)

Sorry, read first post wrong. I thought you were saying you were playing your first game in 6 months on a Sunday... a Sunday 6 months from now. Guess first game played in 6 months being this Sunday does make more sense.

Thanks for the battle reports. Sorry to hear about the dreads. I've wanted to field mine, but I haven't out of fear of... well what happened to you. Its like giving the three stooges rocket launchers and tanks, fun to watch... as long as its not your house their rampaging through.

LOL no biggie bud, i play like a noob so i might as well accept the title. I cant help but run possessed, they call to me like the pretty siren on the sea rocks. They just look sooooo good :P

I was playing IG, and into the new codex. They are NASTY.

They pose the polar opposite of Orks in my mind. Orks can weigh you down in weight of numbers in close combat, and very quickly. IG can weigh you down in volume of fire power... quickly.

How do you disrupt this? I'm no expert on beating the new IG. To be honest, I didn't lose with them once when I bought into the new dex. But I do know this, you need to kill the 'orders' being issued. They are free for IG, and quite strong. To get at the Command squad is big. The advisors, commander, etc, is really a cool thing they did because like 'real' Imperial guard, the heart of the army is strongly directed by its HQ (in most cases). Get to them quickly.

Archived