Night Lords splinter chapter?

hey guys and girls of Bolter and Chainsword (:

i've been lurking this forum for a couple of days and thought i would do the right thing and register... not to mention i need help with something, and you guys seem like the right people to ask :o

so anyway, i have been contemplating a Night Lords army for a while now and (don't flame me for this) but i don't really like the colour scheme. The idea behind the legion is fantastic and i absolutely love fluffy armies. However, my love for fluff has been quashed a little bit by the fact that the God-based armies of Chaos Space Marines these days kinda suck. I'm trying to meet myself halfway and make a fluffy army with a scratch-built background (based off the night lords legion), but that is still competitive. isn't that the dream? xD

anywho, i'm going to start thinking up names and flufff pretty soon, but i was just wondering if anyone had some inspirational quotes/articles/e-books (besides lord of the night)/force selection advice or anything that could be of help to me in creating a terror-tactic, most likely rhino-rush and raptor based army.

Throw everything at me! i'm a big boy i can take being called a fool (oh and i'm open to renegade chapters.... verrrry open)

My idea was of CSM squads in rhinos, raptors, daemon prince or lord with wings/jump pack, chosen and MAYBE a defiler. not exactly sure yet...

anyway just let me have it with anything you got. it will be much appreciated (:

p.s. i have been playing chaos since 3rd ed.. i have seen the rise and fall of the codex... i don't like renegade chapters any more than you guys but for me it's a nessecary evil that i want to try out.

Not sure if you care to follow the "No daemons" rule of the Night Lords in your chapter, but Defilers are indeed daemons.

For lesser daemons I use fantasy vampire counts skeletons - I figure theyre terrifying, and I can justify it by saying a sorcerer is raising dead guardsmen, projecting to their enemies what awaits you when (not if) you fall to the Night Lords.

For tactics, have an entire army that can move 12". That means Princes (which are allowed), Lords and sorcerers with wings, Raptors, Rhinos, Predators, Land Raiders (with screamers), etc. Infiltrate with chosen if you want, but I just dont think chosen are that great, and sending in a suicide unit is unfluffy to the NLs who have minimal casualties.

It wont be the best army list, but itll go along with the fluff. Just do what you feel like doing. I use oblits, defilers and zerkers with my NLs when playing competitively - and until they make specific rules, I'll keep doing it.

thanks dred (:

that's really helpful. i wasn't thinking of using daemons, so i guess that rules the defiler out... but on the other hand, the coolness of the skellies idea actually makes me want to experiment a little.

the reason i like chosen is that it seems fitting to have sort of an elite unit going in to bust some heads/tank hulls. they will be a later addition so i guess i'll have to see how the army performs before i add something like them.

thanks again dred, and keep it coming guys (: i have a good feeling about this thread. not only can i benefit from it, but i'm sure there are like minded players in my shoes.

thanks for your help guys, i really like these ideas. i have done some brainstorming and i'm thinking of getting regular astartes and desecrating their armour, as though they are defiling the emperor's sacred icon. what do you think?

i'm not sure if it's been done before, but i thought it was cool xD

not planing on destroying their armour to the point of say, plague marines.. more like just gouging the aquila with a scalpel, or hacking at it.

oh and raptors... lots of raptors... good idea, bad idea?

Uhm no Daemons rule for chaos fluff vise is kind of impossible. It's in every veichle or weaponry they use. While the Imperium got the machine spirit they pray to in order to keep everything working while they clean / repair it. Chaos obanded it and replaced it with daemons. Maybe GW removed that part of the fluff but I can remember reading it in an old WD.

Archived