Assaulting after you blew up your target?

templargdt

I'm still learning all the nuances of 40K and in my game the other I day I had a unit blow up a tank. I then wanted to charge with that unit into another unit. I was told that I couldn't since I'd shot at another target.

I know in the BRB on pg33 it says you can only assault the target you shot. HOWEVER, it also says you can charge multiple units. So I don't see what the problem is. Thanks!

Kind of. If the Tank was a transport and the passengers disembarked into assault range after the vehicle's destruction, the firing unit can charge the disembarked passengers if able to do so. This is the only way a unit may charge an enemy other than the one they shot at in the same turn. The charging multiple units rule only applies if there are one than one unit in the area you are changing (such as overlapped units or two very close to each other), and models from the changing unit would end up in within 1" of a separate enemy unit than the one they initially charged.

Or something like that.

SJ

A unit can assault the disembarked passengers of a transport it destroyed with shots in the prior shooting phase. However, if it destroy a non-transport vehicle, or an empty transport vehicle, or if all the occupants of that vehicle are destroyed in the explosion, then it won't be able to assault, since, as has been said, the first of its charging models is obligated to base the squad it shot (or the disembarked passengers, if applicable). If neither the vehicle nor its passengers are there, then you can't assault.

It's been answered properly multiple times, but I'll comment just to reinforce:

If you blow up a transport with, say, a tac squad with a meltagun, you could charge the squad that was inside, if within range.

If you blow up a leman russ with the same tac squad, you aren't charging diddly.

If you happened to immobilize said leman russ instead, you could charge it, and if there's a squad close enough, them as well.

This is a KEY THREAD.

I actually did not know this until Ard Boyz when opponent #3 told me that. WOW! All this time, I could shoot up Ghazgul's Trukk and then assault him...sometimes it is the small nuances / changes between rules that can make a interesting difference in the games.

Ok what if a squad gets out of its transport but is on the other side. You blow up the transport and now you are withing 6" of the unit. It was the unit that went with that transport... but they got out of it before you blew it up.

Archived