Running after Deepstrike?

Exanimo

Played my very first game yesterday and i'm actually starting to understand how things work now :P

It was my Marines vs a m8's Daemons and by turn 5 or 6 he just had a Soulgrinder left while i had 9 marines left (devided over 2 squads) with 1 missile launcher in it, my dread with missiles and twin Las and an immobilized Razorback with Twin bolter.

Guess i'd won then on points but we kept on playing and due to a bad roll spree i lost all means to slay him by turn 9 so still lost.

Learned alot anyway.

So now my question: His daemons use deepstrike rules when deploying after which they get a shooting phase which is little use to most of them. According to a collegue of this m8 of mine he would have been allowed to use his shooting phase to run.

Is this correct?

I do know assaulting is out of the question on first turn.

Oh man... i'm screwed then. As we understand he can place his Daemons anywhere on the map and the roll a scatterdice +2D6 to determine where he lands. (assuming no Chaos icon within 6")

That way he can play them right in my face and assault on the next turn.

With the running rule he can still get them within or close to assault range even if he's send in the opposite direction.

That still correct?

Ok, we did that one correctly then.

But he can actually select my side of the table to drop his daemons?

Whats the best way to keep the daemons out of my face otherwise? I managed to kill off one 9 bloodletter squad by combined fire of one 10man tactical squad and 6man Vanguard assault squad but the next forced me to spread my attention over several troops and i got locked into close combat quite fast which was quite nasty.

Got a Terminator Assault squad ready to be assembled and plan to give them TH+SS, think they are a good option agains bloodletters?

Keeping stuff in reserve is your friends against demons , also putting units in cover would also help , most demons dont have assault grenades lol

Also create small speed bumps , or dont spread your troops too far away from one another , so you can support one another , Also the new SM land speeder storm / bikes with distrupter signal thingy wargear might be a good tactic ?

A daemon player needs to weigh the risks when placing every unit on the table. The closer you are to the enemy the less shooting will thin out their ranks. Landing too close could lead to a lot of rapid fire & the chance at a deep strike mishap. Knowing this up front, the defender has some distinct advantages.

Since the daemon player will be attacking from any direction, you can always castle up your deployment. By placing multiple shooting squads in close proximity, the combined formation can swing quickly to meet the daemons no matter which direction they come from. Back the formation up against a table edge to reduce exposed flanks. From this position, you can concentrate the most firepower possible even if the daemons can manage a second turn assault.

When the daemons hit your lines, be prepared to rapid fire again at the conclusion of the combat. Keep this same formation fairly spread out so that after the daemons have killed off every model in one unit, they will be exposed to another round of shooting.

Since all daemons must Deep Strike to enter play, they tend to have little say over where they can concentrate their forces. If a unit scatters away from the pack, hit hard with blast weapons & fast attack units. This way you can, “piece meal” a daemon army by taking advantage of every bad scatter. Also, keep sight of the icons. They will most likely telegraph where the brunt of the daemon army will enter play.

Give some thought to these kinds of tactics and I’m sure you’ll discover that daemons have some distinct weaknesses that are very exploitable.

-OMG

Assault Squads are excellent counter-assault/Counter-DeepStrike units. They are fast enough to react to somone deep striking behind your lines and can hit nice and hard.

A Land Speeder Storm can also be a dirty trick if you know he's going to deep strike. If he tries to deep strike within 6 inches of it then he will scatter 4D6.

Lastly, a Librarian (Epistolery) with Gate of Infinity and ... the other one I can't remember the name of, you know, the one that makes an opponent re-roll invulnerable saves... then it will make them far more vulnerable to your forces.

Archived