My Sternguard/Vulkan Razorback

Hey kids...here's my latest finished project. In my usual fashion, I spent a long time on the parts that interested me and way less time than I should have on boring things that I didn't feel like dealing with. I am, on the whole, very happy with it, but I feel like the end result is somewhat disjointed.

This is the razorback that will be carting around my two heavy flamer Sternguard with Vulkan squad....mmm....4 twin linked heavy flamers....

gallery_1773_3754_25203.jpg

gallery_1773_3754_290604.jpg

gallery_1773_3754_451681.jpg

Magnificent piece of work! The colours are strong, and that freehand is remarkable. Questions:

• Did you testdraw the freehand on paper first to get the hang of it?
  • Did you use something other than paint and a brush to draw it out on the model before painting it?
  • Have you any other tips'n'tricks to help us improve our own freehand to that level?

Cheers. :o

Hmmm.....well, I did a few different things for the freehand, ranging from "Barely thought out" to "I Wish I had thought about that first". For the big dragon on the side and the wings and dragon on the top, I just grabbed a pencil and drew it all out quickly straight on the model. Since it's big and flat and black, a regular pencil showed up fine and was easy to use. Then I built it up from the darker colors on up the lighter ones.

I think a good thing to do is not paint the whole thing right off the bat, because you need to see the lines still, or you won't know what you're doing. So, I painted the shadows in on the dragon, then I painted the next color up, and so on, but the whole time, I could still see the outlines that I drew, and had an idea of where things needed to be. If you just paint the whole thing a base color like you would do when you are painting a model, you can lose a lot of details that you wanted in there, and will have to go back in and guess where they were.

For stuff like the writing, I just grabbed a tiny brush and went to town. I don't necessarily recommend this, and wish I had done a quick drawing on a piece of paper to figure out where I wanted things, as I'm not 100% happy with all of it. I also kind of lost steam on the thing as a whole, and didn't put as much freehand in as I had orginally intended, so there are places like the hatches that are screaming for some more detail....some day.

I hope some of that made sense, and thanks for the comments!

*Also, hot damn, I just realized I have been a member of this board for almost 7 years!*

Awesome as always, Rob!

If I had to "critique" it, I would echo some of what you said on the "parchment" freehand areas - they look unplanned or in the planning stages to me. Only other thing I would add is the Aquilla on the front looks dark to me in comparison to all of the other "flame" effects you have going on.

But DAY-um - sweet sweet model. (I know its a tiny detail, but I really like your flames - the back-top hatch ones are subtle, but really come across well for me)

Yeah:

Real fire is brighter at the bottom than at the top.

Put your flames on a solid background color so that you can touch them up after you have all the color down. When you use 3 or 4 different orange/yellow/reds, your flames get kind of thick and tube-like, but if you go back and make them nice and thin with your background color, it will not only make them look more flame-y, it will make you look like a better and smoother painter. =]

Because, as we all know, knowing how to fix your mistakes is really the secret to painting. =]

Impressively done! I was a bit taken aback by the black color scheme to start with, but when I realized it was DIY I put that aside and found it to be a strong model. In particular, the freehand (as mentioned before) is very eye-catching, without being over the top. The flame details are also expertly done; I only wish I could get mine to look so polished. Perhaps painting flame over black is easier than green? Either way, I'll be looking for your other works in the forums now that I've seen this!

Overall I like it, I do have a few constructive criticisms, however. The top plate of the model isn't lined up very well, the black paint scheme hides it but once I spotted it it really detracted from the overall appearance. It completely undermines all of that fine paintwork. The bone colored smoke stacks look a little odd, and the bright color highlights the fact that they're closed off at the top, makes them look more faux than functional, try drilling them out. The last thing that struck me is the dragon on the door. He's facing the wrong way, totems animals should face the front of the vehicle to give the appearance of charging in to meet the enemy! As it sits, it looks like he's running away.

~Mike~

• 2 weeks later...

Archived