Disabled or destroyed?

yodaid764

I got to play my first 40k game since like 2001 yesterday. I asked the guy to bring me up to speed on the new rules. needless to say, i got my ass handed to me since I dont know the rules that well, he didnt explain things in advance that well (more like, well, you should have done this to be more effective since that unit has this rule----thanks pal"), and the table was set for him to dominate both fields of fire and maneuverability. (Granted the table was set up before either of us showed up so not really his fault.)

One of the only times I questioned a rule was when his scouts "destroyed" my dread. It took like 3 rounds. First round destroyed weapon (he chose the p fist). Next round he got the assault cannon. next round he got an immoblized hit. Then a glancing hit IIRC. He told me the dread was destroyed since it was already immoblized and anothe rweapon destroyed or glancing hit automatically destroyed an immobilized vehicle. Now, having gone back thru the rule book, I dont see anything like this in there.

Is this guy right or pulling my leg??

If you have no weapons and your immobilized then a weapon destroyed or immobilized result will become a destroyed.

The real questio is how did his scouts hurt your dreadnaught in CC... did the seargant have a powerfist?

Perhaps the scouts were really lucky with their krak grenades?

Yodaid, that situation is explained on page 61 in the rulebook, where the vehicle damage table is described. After the description of damage result 3 (weapon destroyed) and result 4 (immobilised) there is a note, explaining that if a vehicle suffers any of the two results while it is already immobilised and has no more weapons it will get wrecked instead (result 5).

Ah, right, krak nades. Forgot that scouts get that for free now along with tacs.

Me too... but still, thats really really lucky- six to hit the walker, and then a six to glance it and a six to immobilize. Yikes.

I do think there was probably a powerfist involved too.

Yodaid: Did he remember that models with grenades only have 1 attack and only hit on 6? Did he remember that dreads are allways hit at the front armour in close combat, unlike other vehicles which are hit in the rear armour?

He used p fist a couple of times and then melta bomb one or twice. It was not until like turn 3 that the dread was destroyed.

He had tons of scout squads and Shrike with a command squad (or some such). They all infiltrated and so my units had nothing to shoot at as they were in CC before they could get many shots off. Like I said, a totally one sided battle.

The last hit would only destroy your dread if he rolled 'immobilised' or 'weapon destroyed' on the table. A stunned or shaken result would not have led to its being wrecked. And yes, make sure he had to roll '6's' to hit your dread with his fist attacks, and only one attack needing a 6 per round with meltabombs, no matter how many attacks on his profile.

RoV

The last hit would only destroy your dread if he rolled 'immobilised' or 'weapon destroyed' on the table. A stunned or shaken result would not have led to its being wrecked. And yes, make sure he had to roll '6's' to hit your dread with his fist attacks, and only one attack needing a 6 per round with meltabombs, no matter how many attacks on his profile.

RoV

I think you mean 6's to hit with grenade attacks... fists hit as normal.

He used p fist a couple of times and then melta bomb one or twice. It was not until like turn 3 that the dread was destroyed.

If you were in CC with his scouts, your dread must have been eating them alive...yea? Or were you having a bad rolling day on top of it all?

I recently took it to my friend's Thousand Sons unit, charging my dread in to draw them out of cover. Actually, I was hoping my dread would maul them, but given their 4+ invuln saves and some really crappy rolling on my part, I only killed one of them before they got a lucky shot off on my dread (the asp. sorc. had meltas). They then went down to a hail of holy bolter fire from my waiting tactical marine squad. <3

In my experience Scouts struggle to kill dreads in CC... really struggle

However since a dread can only kill one or two scouts a turn, you can (and i have) tarpit a dread over several turns with a unit of scouts, if the unit had a fist or meltabombs your going to get a few chances to take it out, which does weigh up against the difficulties a little.

Gc08

Edit: any grenade attacks need 6's until the dread becomes immoblised at which point you use the WS table to hit (probably 4's)

Edit: any grenade attacks need 6's until the dread becomes immoblised at which point you use the WS table to hit (probably 4's)

I believe "Crew Stunned" also does this.

Mycroft

Nope... stunned just removes an attack from the dreads total.

Yeah, I was only able to kill a few of the buggers. With each weapon destroyed I lost an attack. Few of the krak acatually did anything, but the first and melta bombs were what did me in.

RoV

I think you mean 6's to hit with grenade attacks... fists hit as normal.

Yup, that was it. Stupid late night posting... :D

RoV

Yeah, I was only able to kill a few of the buggers. With each weapon destroyed I lost an attack. Few of the krak acatually did anything, but the first and melta bombs were what did me in.

You dont lose an attack for each weapon destroyed- really, you dont. Only if you have multiple DCCWs do you lose attacks when those dissapear. And you only ever lose one per round from being shaken/stunned.

Stunned walkers are hit with grenades on the WS as well. P. 73, third paragraph.

Which is why you ALWAYS take Extra Armor on a Dread going into CC...

Oh yeah.... thats why I always pay the extra five points.... oops.

*grumbles about paying the price of a scout to weld iron plates onto his iron warmachines*

Thats actually one of my biggest bones with the new codex, I could see 10... but 15 seems an overreaction.

Archived