Thinking of starting Chaos

Hey all,

I've got a bunch of Space Marines see, and they do nothing but die. Whereas my Daemon army slaughters EVERYTHING.

I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to convert my normal marines to chaos marines? The models i think i'd have the most trouble with are the scouts as I don't know the Chaos equivalent.

Is it as simple as putting green stuff spikes all over everything? Or could I abandon the conversion idea all together and say they aren't fully chaos yet or some other bull crap justification. I don't go to many tournaments so this is more for presentation than actually having to worry about people saying, "They aren't Chaos you can't use them!" (Everyone around my area is pretty cool with proxy models and such)

And if anyone could give me a little background on chaos that would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for the help :D

in 5th ed with counts as being supported by GW , you could put rocks on bases and call them csm. thats one thing. second thing is this is codex Renegades , it was told by GW people a few times. This means they generally dont wear pre heresy armors , look wise only thing that makes them different from loyalists is the paint and maybe an icon or two and thats it.

The Horus Heresy was the start of Space Marines turning to Chaos, but it certainly wasn't the end of them doing that. So, your fluff could be something along the lines of the chapter has forsaken the Imperium and turned to piracy, seeking loot, pillage and glory on the battlefield. They could worship Chaos simply as a means to an end, ie. for the powers that they can gain from it. Maybe ask a few CSM players at your local GW if they have any space mutations sprues (as they're the sprue in the CSM box that gets used the least), replace a few ccw arms with mutated arms (on SOME of your marines, not all!). Then paint either a red 'X' over the chapter symbol on the pauldron/shoulder pad, or free hand the Chaos 8-pointed star onto them. Add an icon or 2, a few spiky bits from the spiky bits sprue and you're done!

If the guys at the local GW are cool with it, then go for your life. Get the CSM codex 4.0, decide on your army list and model onto the minis what you want (if you're playing WYSIWYG). If someone DOES complain, you can simply point out that CSMs and SMs cost the same money wise, and pretty much the same points wise. If they STILL don't agree, behead them with a chainsword or put a bolter to their temple. :)

Cheers!

Pegasus

As a brand new servant of Chaos myself, I fully understand the desire to save as much money as possible by reusing SM models. You see, I've accumulated 5 tac squads worth of marines over the years, and had no intention of spending any more on troops. I justified this fluff-wise by saying that the marines had only very recently gone renegade, and most opponents will accept that.

Balance this with the CSM models I do have, purchased because I liked the look of them or acquired in a recent trade for my old Dark Eldar stuff (let's just say I came out of that trade favorably). A terminator lord, a defiler, possessed, and chaos termies, justified by saying that they're the remnants of a much older warband, to which the recent renegades have flocked.

Most gamers are more concerned about playing games than about the fluff reasons behind any particular army. You shouldn't have trouble finding people to play against your new "counts as" armies.

Oh,...AND LET THE GALAXY BURN!

how can you possibly loose with the new marine codex???? I have seen iron warriors using the new marine dex since they believe it represents them better :) as for playing csm dont expect to win all the time cause deamons are powerfull... however we do have a lot of fun unit choices and a more varried playstyle i believe (tho i havnt played the new smurfs)

Is it as simple as putting green stuff spikes all over everything? Or could I abandon the conversion idea all together and say they aren't fully chaos yet or some other bull crap justification. I don't go to many tournaments so this is more for presentation than actually having to worry about people saying, "They aren't Chaos you can't use them!" (Everyone around my area is pretty cool with proxy models and such)

And if anyone could give me a little background on chaos that would be much appreciated :geek:

Thanks in advance for the help :D

TBH I would just file off or otherwise deface the imperial insignia (unless you wanted some kind of Alpha legion style story where they pretend they are loyal and then keep stabbing people in the back) and maybe model/paint/bitz bash some chaos symbology on a few of them.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've got numerous pointy weapons and such that my Daemons didn't use as well as some Chaos Icons I could play around with.

Hopefully I can build up a few actual chaos squads over time.

how can you possibly loose with the new marine codex????

Yeah, smurfs heave awesome heroes but even playing with Marneus Calgar ain't gonna help you if the Chaos gods want you to lose.

That and I think Khorne gets mad at me for neglecting the whole BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD thing (Thats all my daemons are)

Archived