Any point to a heavy flamer on a footslogger Dread?

ShinyRhino

I'm working on a Dread for my 'Ard Boyz list. I decided to forgo the typical drop-podded Dread with multimelta and heavy flamer in favor of a footslogging Dread with assault cannon and heavy flamer.

But, is a heavy flamer really ever going to be useful for a footslogger Dread? With the pod-borne version, it was a MONSTER. Pod in near a juicy infantry target (IG command squad, Tau Fire Warriors, etc), ignite, watch as flames consume the enemy. Even moreso with the doubled heavy flamer setup.

But if I'm walking across the board, will I ever get a chance to use that heavy flamer, or am I better off going with the free stormbolter? I'm envisioning the Dread taking up a position forward of my objective, and using the 24" range to start whittling down infantry before they hit my defending troops (tactical squad and choppy scouts).

I'm trying to avoid the pod-borne setup because I've used it a LOT in the past, and folks at my shop have come to expect it. Plus, it's one extra killpoint for my enemy if they hit my pod.

So, would you stick with the stormbolter for a couple extra random shots against advancing infantry, or take the heavy flamer for the chance at a pre-charge barbeque?

To paraphrase a well known line - "40k is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get"

Keep the heavy flamer since you absolutely never know where that dread is going to end up or where it will be needed. I cant count the number of times I wished I had my flamer equiped dread on the board instead of the sb one. Running up the flank and someone rolls a bad table-edge reserve roll? Flamer to the face. Transport zooming around the table that takes a lucky penetrating hit and you are near? Flamer to the face of the disembarked occupants.

The versatility and mere wound causing potential of the flamer far outweighs that of the SB and for only a few points more.

I'd agree with the previous replies; if you're going to skimp on the Drop Pod I wouldn't consider losing the HF. There's simply too many places where this nasty weapon could come in handy, and even a footslogger Dreadnought can get there on many occassions. I would compare this idea to the concept of removing the CCW on a footslogger Dread; unless you're NEVER going to march it closer to the opponent, fire support configurations are in many ways a waste of the Dread's CC potential.

That said, dual TL Autocannon Dreads are really cool! :(

That said, dual TL Autocannon Dreads are really cool! :(

Indeed they are! Once I clear out some of the other stuff in my modelling queue, I'll be investing in some of the ForgeWorld Dread arm kits.

Til then, I'll keep the heavy flamer. It is an 8" template after all!

So, would you stick with the stormbolter for a couple extra random shots against advancing infantry, or take the heavy flamer for the chance at a pre-charge barbeque?

I had a game this past weekend where my Land Raider just couldn't fire off enough lascannon shots versus some approaching Assault Marines and didn't stop them from a meltabomb assault that destroyed it. The Heavy Bolter also just wasn't enough to really halt a 10 man squad in their tracks. If I had fielded the Redeemer it would have been a whole different story (granted the flamestorm would have denied their armor saves as well, but you get my point).

Flamers work really well when mounted on vehicles, particularly against armies that want to assault your vehicles. And one stormbolter can't really be counted on to do much of anything. The Assault Cannon/ HF Dread is a good choice, the assault cannon can do it to all infantry and even some light vehicles. And the 8" template often surprises me with its effectiveness given that it can go through cover. Particularly with DoW deployment there are often some troops somewhere that never plan on moving from their 4+ cover. Flamers can make that a bad call.

I have an honourable duo of two venerable dreadnoughts Kayvaan and Ventris. While the two carry between them 2 assault cannons, 2 DCCWs I also attach a storm bolter to kayvaan for fluffiness of character (he prefers ranged combat however often accompanies his brother Ventris to battle with his load out bar heavy flamer) and I have HF one Ventris (who prefers getting stuck in). The duo is rather potent as Kayvaan has on numerous occasions used his storm bolter to knock that one more wound from a squad to break it while ventris has proven equally great at shifting those cover hogs. Personally I don't really notice much of the difference, with BS5 sure you could make advantage of it but I say: Just because you have doesn't mean we have to use it (trust me, a BS5 assault cannon is FUN).

However yes the heavy flamer does make a nice smell of enemies and the best bit is all thats left is ash that gets blown over the land so you don't have to clean up any mess after wards.

Archived