Honsou final chapter

Hi everone

It look like Honsou finial chapter is almost upon us.

Iron Warrior

But…as I said, Iron Warrior is finished. And what, pray tell, is Iron Warrior, I hear you ask. Well, it’s something of a new venture, and I don’t want to say too much, but I think you’re going to really like it. No prizes for guessing which traitor legion it’s about, but the stuff the design guys have got going on for this book is making my mouth water just thinking about it.

Okay, to give you a little taster of the book, here’s a few lines from Chapter 1.

“Only that the Thrice Born is the bane of the Gatekeeper of Zalathras,” said Honsou, letting his frustration show as Moriana crouched beside the purple fire. “And that it would rise again in the Time of Ending to wreak bloody revenge on those who paid homage to his sons.”

There, don’t say I’m not good to you. And as that project sails off into the editorial sunset, my attentions turn to A Thousand Sons, my latest Horus Heresy novel.

Sadly it look like the finial chapter between Honsou & Uriel, as Honsou launch his Black Crusade as it where into the hart of the Ultramarine world.

But on a very good side...it is another story to do with Iron Warriors & we will kick some Ultramarine rear. I am very much looking forward to this.

For those who have never read the stories I would recommend

Nightbringer - Ultramarines

Warriors of Ultramar (sp?) - Ultramarines

Storm of Iron - Iron Warriors

Dead Sky Black Sun - Iron Warriors

Killing Ground - Ultramarines

Planet Kill - 50 page short story on Iron Warriors

Courage & Honour - Ultramarines

Hero of the Space Marines - Iron Warriors

Also the White Dwarf that has Black Legion vs Iron Warriors has a short story of Honsou.

IP

My fluff-fu is a little bit fuzzy, so I may be off, but Black Crusades are a generic term for large scale invasion by Chaos. The most notable would be the 13 large ones, not all of which were lead by Abaddon.

This is great news IP! =)

I have still yet to read anymore of the Ultramarine books after DSBS but I took your advice and read both short stories about Honsou in Planet Kill and Hero's of Space Marines.

As far as the other stories go in those two, I think Hero's of Space Marines was alot better.

Black Crusades are not Abaddon's sole territory as Doombreed has launched some, that said, I was under the impression that the fluff timeline is frozen as of the climax of the 13th Crusade so I think this is mostly just a literary device to make it sound more ominous and not actually the 14th Crusade. In any case, I would prefer a Horus Heresy IW tale but I guess this will do, had no idea this was even so close on the horizon to be honest.

Anyone can led a Black Crusade, the Primarch of the World Eater is one fine exsample where he attack Armeggedon. There been a few other as well, as long as a chaos god favour them.

Honsou has the raw power of chaos as it where, he got a big army now after Hero of the Space Marines & is now going to get his revange upon Uriel.

I have still yet to read anymore of the Ultramarine books after DSBS but I took your advice and read both short stories about Honsou in Planet Kill and Hero's of Space Marines.

I would say it better to. In more to hear both side as there bit in Courage & Honour (Ultramarine) that been said in Planet Kill (Honou send a little message to Uriel)

IP

The only thing that bothers me about this is I see Honsou as a 'vehicle' for Uriel to look more... awesome.

Oddly enough SoI made me like Honsou... but I never liked him since. It's like Graham.... changed him in some way I can't put my finger on. To make matters worse, I really don't want to see Honsou build up this army of leftovers from Huron's 'Survivor: Chaos Island edition' and just get defeated by Ultra's.

Now if Honsou becomes a vehicle for the eventual death of Uriel, THAT would be unexpected. I mean Uriel already kicked arse in Chaos land, and made it back to tell the story. That was difficult enough to fathom.

Also something small, but it really bugged me about the Heroes of the Space Marines.... Graham writes something to the effect that Iron Warriors don't really trust anyone, including each other. That bugged me. I can't think of a truly successful military group that thinks and acts this way. I thought it was established well before hand that TO OUTSIDERS the Iron Warrior may come off as aloof, and paranoid, but to their battle brothers they were loyal and committed.

Oddly enough SoI made me like Honsou... but I never liked him since. It's like Graham.... changed him in some way I can't put my finger on.

I know what it is for me Prot, Honsou has gotten arrogant.

In SoI, he's the underdog of the 3 Captains (who are all beneath the Warsmith). He's busting his butt to prove his worth, especially in light of his heritage. He's the young capable up and comer with a chip on his shoulder.

In the later books, he's the arrogant full of himself but still very young Warsmith who still has a chip on his shoulder. Not to say he's any less capable, but its all too easy for an inflated ego to be your downfall.

I will say he's a bit more interesting then many Chaos leaders because he comes off as strikingly human in personality.

I think you hit the nail on the head minigun. It's the arrogance. Over what? I'm not sure. I believe he's lost his fortress, a ton of men and resources.... but hey, he has a necron arm and cool axe.

Maybe that's why in 'Heroes..' I was so giddy to read Huron put him in his place. Best scene of the whole book IMHO.

Also something small, but it really bugged me about the Heroes of the Space Marines.... Graham writes something to the effect that Iron Warriors don't really trust anyone, including each other. That bugged me. I can't think of a truly successful military group that thinks and acts this way. I thought it was established well before hand that TO OUTSIDERS the Iron Warrior may come off as aloof, and paranoid, but to their battle brothers they were loyal and committed.

Graham took that from the Index Astartes, he did not make that up.

Honsou has the raw power of chaos as it where, he got a big army now after Hero of the Space Marines & is now going to get his revange upon Uriel.

A big army? How is 17,000 men a big army? The Imperium has garrison reigments that are bigger than that. Ultramar has the entire Ultramarines chapter and hundreds of PDF regiments plus the Imperial Navy.

17000 Men or 17000 Chaos Marines who are annoyed? You have to be specific because it does make a large difference. Also plot armor in 40k makes a difference, but sadly Ultramarines have the most.

Edit: watch the launge there been change to annoyed, Insane Psychopath

Honsou army is current mix, if you get a chance to read Hero the Space Marines short story it say how he battle other armies (chaos, xenos, etc...). So he has to my knolwege,

- The remain of his IW from Dead Sky Black Sun as well as those from Berossus Grand Company

- Raven Guard who mentor the Unflesh one (can't rememeber his name that the time), I think the rest of the renagade Space Marines from DSBS (there was another two left) well not wating to spoil it but somthing happen to them in Planet Kill

- He has Chaos Marines who worship Khorne from Hero of the Marines, as said he also got xenos & other renagades that he won through the challege that Huron Blackheart has know as the Skull Harvest.

Can't rememeber seeing any number of his army strength?

But end of the day who care, as long as they kick Imperial rear & the story is cool. I for one look forward to this new IW story by Graham McNeill :devil: Though it is the finial chapter for Honsou (not sure on Uriel?). I've enjoy SoI, DSBS, Planet Kill short story, Hero of the Space Marine short story. Good to see a full out book & all thing to do with chaos marines battle Ultramarines :)

Also the release, we would be looking that some point next year!!! :)

IP

Oddly enough SoI made me like Honsou... but I never liked him since. It's like Graham.... changed him in some way I can't put my finger on. To make matters worse, I really don't want to see Honsou build up this army of leftovers from Huron's 'Survivor: Chaos Island edition' and just get defeated by Ultra's.

I've never liked the half breed... well ok, in the very opening parts of SoI I liked him. By the end of the book... didn't really care for him anymore. He 'complained' to much, even for a bitter IW. "Woe is me, I'm a half breed, and no one expects anything out of me. I'll show them." I was a Forrix fan. In DSBS I got to the point that I wanted Uriel to kill him. There is arrogant, then there is adolescent teenage ignorance. He is given everything a lord could ask for(super impenetrable psyker proof fortress w/ thousands of IWs, tanks, and titans), and ends up getting it all destroyed by making horrible decisions one after another. He is like the rich kid who gets a Porsche and crashes it, AND doesn't care. That was my impression of him by the end of DSBS. He acts like he is king but he really hasn't done that much. Winning the battle in SoI and capturing the geneseed was primarily a product of the Warsmith and Forrix's actions. Building the psychic proof fortress and the reason it was pyschic proof were because of the previous warsmith. The giant army and titans, again the previous warsmith.

-Getting a large portion of the army in SoI destroyed... yup Honsue. Why? Oh yea.. he was the one who let Hawks live, who later launched the orbital missile into the IW army.

-Getting a 10,000 year old fortress destroyed... yup Honsue. Smarts would have said use the geneseed as a bargaining chip, get the other warsmiths to help in your future crusade, or to trade for titans, etc. Nope, lets make the other warmsiths blow us up leaving even less to go to war with... all because you have a point to prove.

-The heart of blood being released... well what Warsmith captures a bunch of space marines and then has mechanicus guys watch over them? You are a space marine, you know what they can do, you know they are a threat. Be smart... kill them. What purpose do space marine prisoners serve? You know they won't talk(or will lie), you know they are prone to escaping and causing destruction, and you know no one is going to 'trade' you for them. Logic dictates-kill them on sight.

-Letting said prisoners in? Didn't his bodyguard ask him why he was standing on a balcony as artillery fire was coming in? Does it anyways. That 'now' unguarded hole left over after the balcony falls with all the troops on it is how Uriel gets in the fortress in the first place...

-Unfleshed running a muck... never occurred to you to kill failed space marine experiments, or incorporate them into your army in other ways(big big mutants)? No lets flush them down the commode and hope they don't get big and eat us.

End result. I don't like him because he is a half breed. He is a very well written character. In that I mean he acts more like an Imperial Fist than an Iron Warrior, which is exactly what he is. Logic... goes out the window, and gets replaced with pride and a desire to show off. That's the reason I really didn't care for him in SoI, he doesn't come off as an IW.

No they trust no one. They trust their wargear, technology, and that's about it.

17000 Men or 17000 Chaos Marines who are annoyed?

Angron's big crusade was with 40 or 50,000 bezerkers. Was basically unstoppable for centuries. I imagine 17,000 IWs will at least leave a dent.

Sorry for the Honsue attack. I've just never liked him, and with each new book I like him less. I love IWs. I love most of the people under his command, and the other warsmiths and captains, but I don't care for him.

Yup, actually Forrix was my favorite too.

Forrix had brass ones. He was ancient and an amazing threat. A long time ago I wrote a story which saw him revived and seething with hatred for Honsou.

He was a tough, old, S.O.B.... and I miss him. :D

Angron's big crusade was with 40 or 50,000 bezerkers. Was basically unstoppable for centuries. I imagine 17,000 IWs will at least leave a dent.

They are not 17,000 Iron Warriors, they are not even all Chaos mairnes, a good porportion is xenos and renagades.

Pg 50- ''At the final tally, Honsou left New Badab with close to seventeen thousand warriors sworn to his cause''

I honestly can't seem him doing much ot Ultramar, a place that survived the assualt of Hive Fleet Behemoth, a full-sized hive fleet. 17,000 assorted renagades, xenos and chaos marines are not going to threaten Ultramar much.

I'm sorry, I like Graham McNeil and both series alot but he's just bad with numbers and scale.

They are not 17,000 Iron Warriors, they are not even all Chaos mairnes, a good porportion is xenos and renagades.

Pg 50- ''At the final tally, Honsou left New Badab with close to seventeen thousand warriors sworn to his cause''

I honestly can't seem him doing much ot Ultramar, a place that survived the assualt of Hive Fleet Behemoth, a full-sized hive fleet. 17,000 assorted renagades, xenos and chaos marines are not going to threaten Ultramar much.

I'm sorry, I like Graham McNeil and both series alot but he's just bad with numbers and scale.

Not to forget Ultramar fended off a massive chunk of Word Bearers during the Heresy, which included the Abyss, possibly the largest 'tanking' Battleship ever created.

Yea, good luck Honsou...... *twang* .... *twang*..... You hear that? That's the world's smallest violin playing at your funeral. <_<

I agree about Honsou, but I think it is just the way he has been written. In soi he writes it so you feel for him, as he's the main protagonist. In the other stories he is dipicted as the arrogant evil villan, the sort of protagonist that you dont really like deep down.

Probably couldnt do to much damage with 17,000 though he does have a few warships. I think the real threat is from what he is going to uncover. In heros he is looking over ancient scrolls/books and the snippit up above sounds like he's going to summon something kick ass.

In heros he is looking over ancient scrolls/books and the snippit up above sounds like he's going to summon something kick ass.

Yep as shown in the quote above, this is part of the new story

“Only that the Thrice Born is the bane of the Gatekeeper of Zalathras,” said Honsou, letting his frustration show as Moriana crouched beside the purple fire. “And that it would rise again in the Time of Ending to wreak bloody revenge on those who paid homage to his sons.”

Also with the Red Corsier witch saying stuff to the Raven Guard Renagade (sp).

IP

Ultramar is defended by Ultramarines plot armor and Chaos is led by the severe lack to go anywhere.

They should've left it as is, It will be seen as a decent to good book and still make alot of people either unfullfilled or angry.

The sad part is that Graham has been asked if Forrix can be brought back somehow (as a dreadnought maybe) and he said no as he considered being shot by a titan as dead as dead gets. Too bad really, Forrix was also my favorite character in SoI and along with Grammaticus one of my favorite characters in all BL fiction. In any case, it does suck that he is going against the Ultras as if it was some small, relatively unknown chapter it could actually be interesting but there is no way GW's flagship chapter is going to be allowed to lose.

Now that I think about it, this really does kind of tick me off as some Imperial Fist is running around ruining the Iron Warrior's reputation.

Archived