Deep Striking IC's in squads

Tetris

I'm not sure if this has been covered anywhere else but i'm going to ask it anyway.

After looking at the models i currently own I was looking at my Terminator squad and Chaplain and how i could use them one of my first thoughts was i could deep strike them together at the enemy flanks and reak some havok but one of my friends said that this would not be possible as they would deep strike seperatly so I know that any charcter wearing terminator armour can Deep Strike but I want to know if a independant character wearing terminator armour can deep strike with a unit of terminators or do they have to deep strike seperatly.

Rulebook page 94, "preparing reserves", third paragraph. If independent cahracters are held in reserve you have to specify whether he is joining a unit that is also held in reserve, in which case teh character and the unit are rolled for and arive together. So when you deploy your army you keep your Chaplain and your Terminator squad in reserve. You specify that they enter teh game as deep strikers, and then you specify that the Chaplain joins teh Terminator squad. Now you roll a single d6 per turn for both together, and when they arrive, they deep strike as a single unit.

Note that both the character and the squad would have to be able to deep-strike for this to work, the character couldn't be in power armor and join the squad and deep-strike with them. Although in the absence of a clearly articulated Deep Strike USR you can argue (I think sucessfully) that a Chaplain with a jump pack can join a terminator squad to deep strike together since I can't find anything in either the IC section or troop type section that prevents jump pack and jetbike ICs from joining a squad (regardless of the troop type of the squad).

Note that both the character and the squad would have to be able to deep-strike for this to work, the character couldn't be in power armor and join the squad and deep-strike with them. Although in the absence of a clearly articulated Deep Strike USR you can argue (I think sucessfully) that a Chaplain with a jump pack can join a terminator squad to deep strike together since I can't find anything in either the IC section or troop type section that prevents jump pack and jetbike ICs from joining a squad (regardless of the troop type of the squad).

Situationally you could Deep Strike the JP Chap with Termie Squad, provided you were either A: DSing into the open, or B: DSing onto a Locator Beacon. If you were to try and use a Teleport Homer then, no you could not DS the Chapy with them, as JPs are not teleport Deep Strike.

somewhat related:

Are Scout Bikes the only thing with Locator Beacons in C:SM? It seems like a small, arbitrary and mostly pointless distinction between Locator and Teleport Homer and I don't really understand the rules logic of it (fluff aside). Are they that concerned the DPs with Beacons would be too over-powered?

somewhat related:

Are Scout Bikes the only thing with Locator Beacons in C:SM? It seems like a small, arbitrary and mostly pointless distinction between Locator and Teleport Homer and I don't really understand the rules logic of it (fluff aside). Are they that concerned the DPs with Beacons would be too over-powered?

Drop pods can have locator Beacons

I see that now, it's tac sarges that can take the homer, and DPs take the beacon. Still seems like a pointless distinction.

From a fluff point the difference is huge- a teleport homer allows you to come in from deep orbit, a locator beacon allows transports to find you and ships to potentially launch drop pods to your aid... but wont help with the arcane science of teleportation.

I meant a pointless distinction from the perspective of the game designer. Is it really so necessary for game balance to control the flexibility of deep striking units by making only terminators able to use both homers and beacons? I can't see how it would be considering that both are on relatively few units (only one in the case of homers). Though I'll admit having tac squads carry beacons would create some interesting strategies, considering 90% of the time you're DS terminators anyway it wouldn't come up that often.

I'm not sure if this has been covered anywhere else but i'm going to ask it anyway.

After looking at the models i currently own I was looking at my Terminator squad and Chaplain and how i could use them one of my first thoughts was i could deep strike them together at the enemy flanks and reak some havok but one of my friends said that this would not be possible as they would deep strike seperatly so I know that any charcter wearing terminator armour can Deep Strike but I want to know if a independant character wearing terminator armour can deep strike with a unit of terminators or do they have to deep strike seperatly.

That.. is probably the longest sentance I have ever read! ;)

I meant a pointless distinction from the perspective of the game designer. Is it really so necessary for game balance to control the flexibility of deep striking units by making only terminators able to use both homers and beacons? I can't see how it would be considering that both are on relatively few units (only one in the case of homers). Though I'll admit having tac squads carry beacons would create some interesting strategies, considering 90% of the time you're DS terminators anyway it wouldn't come up that often.

it's the best way to limit the number of locator beacons on the field - max 3 (outside of FOC reorganizations like planetstrike). teleport homers are more available but only affect units that are elite or HQ. beacons add fast units and drop pods to that mix, and consume a fast slot to boot. I think it's a very good tactical balance issue.

Archived