A few questions

yodaid764

1) I see people mentioning using so and so in a "counts as" capacity. Is this tourney legal? Example: Can only Ultra Smurfs use SGT Telion or is he really open to any Marine Chapter without their own specific codex?

2) I have seen some pretty impressive custom models. For heros and special characters, I see some conversion experts say using a bigger base to make them stand out. How does this affect the legality of the model since how it can touch more models in base to base contact?

3) Speaking of making custom bases, what is the best way to build a base for models? What materials are recommended or required?

1) I see people mentioning using so and so in a "counts as" capacity. Is this tourney legal? Example: Can only Ultra Smurfs use SGT Telion or is he really open to any Marine Chapter without their own specific codex?

Any army built using codex SM 5th ed, can take any of the charcters within as counts as

2) I have seen some pretty impressive custom models. For heros and special characters, I see some conversion experts say using a bigger base to make them stand out. How does this affect the legality of the model since how it can touch more models in base to base contact?

Generally its not a big issue, if the model is larger or smaller than it should eb this can cause problems with LOS issues, but base size wont affect your games too much... im not sure about tourney rules on this though

3) Speaking of making custom bases, what is the best way to build a base for models? What materials are recommended or required?

Are you talking scenic bases?? there arte some good tutorials in the librarium that could help you here

GC08

IIRC the rules say you cannot mount a unit on a base smaller than the one it comes with, larger should be fine. But as always check with your turnement organizer.

Question #1: Codex: Space Marines, pg. 127, “Alternately, you can use the model and rules for a named character to represent a mighty hero from a different Chapter … This is a perfect way to personalize your army – just make sure your opponent is aware of what everything counts as.”

Question #2: BRB, pg.3, “Some players like to mount their models on impressive scenic bases. As mounting your models on different sized bases might affect the way they interact with the rules, make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this.”

Question #3: Here’s a link to the B&C Librarium. Give those a look over as I’m sure they’ll get you thinking creatively along those lines.

-OMG

I have a bunch of old TDA models that came with the small bases, and are still mounted on them. However with a very, very, very small amount of glue they are attached to the larger new TDA bases- just so that there are no complaints about it from anyone. I suggest if you want an impressive senic base that is abnormally large that you incoporate a smaller base for the character that you can take him off of if you need to without damaging either. Its the best of both worlds.

Archived