CC Terminator loadouts

Sarge4109

Trying to decide how to load out my Terminator squad. It will be in a LR with either a Terminator Sorc or Typhus depending on the game.

Right now I'm thinking 2x Chainfist or Powerfist w/ Combi-meltas, 3x paired Lclaws

Or just all Lclaws.

Also, is Mark of Nurgle worth it on them? I don't think it is really but perhaps you could prove me wrong. (Other Marks are out of the question, playing strict Death Guard, but I'd be willing to use un-marked Terminators.)

Thanks for your time.

its also not worth it to take termis as a hth units. even a unit of DG [if you plan to run a LR rush list] is going to do better .
I agree, e.g. 8 DG with a Fist wielding champ. They will in most cases outshine your 4 terminators in CC.

Right now I'm thinking 2x Chainfist or Powerfist w/ Combi-meltas, 3x paired Lclaws

Or just all Lclaws.

Also, is Mark of Nurgle worth it on them?

That loadout has too much stuff, making it too expensive. If I were to make a hth termi sqiad, it would have 1 CF, a hvy flamer, and 1 LC's (maybe a champ).

IoN WAY too expensive, your're talking 8 pts. per guy.

-

As the others have said a unit of PM might be just as good... a LR full of brzrkrs, far better.

You could do it just for fun or just for looks though, but keep the squad (relatively) inexpensive.

its also not worth it to take termis as a hth units. even a unit of DG [if you plan to run a LR rush list] is going to do better .
I agree, e.g. 8 DG with a Fist wielding champ. They will in most cases outshine your 4 terminators in CC.

I must respectively disagree good sirs.

Assuming both squads are in a Land Raider you'd probably have something like this.

8 Plague Marines, Flamer, Melta, Power Fist Champion = 239 points

vs

4 Terminators, 3 Twin Claws, 1 Heavy Flamer/Power Fist = 165 points

Against MEQs the Plague Marines can expect to kill 1.93 Marines with shooting (assuming Flamer hits 5), 1.75 Marines @ I3 and 1.25 Marines @ I1.

Against MEQs the Terminators can expect to kill 1.09 Marines with Shooting, 4.5 Marines @ I3 and 1.25 @ I1.

Total = 4.93 for Plague Marines

Total = 6.84 for Terminators

That means Terminators are approximately 39% more killy for 69% of the point cost of Plague Marines.

Durability I'd say they're roughly the same, 2+/5++ and striking at I4 is going to be about equal to 3+/4++ and I3 in alot of cases.

What you are paying for is the Death Guards ability to score, which is very good but may not be needed if you're making a Killer/Cleaner squad.

its not scoring . you still have to run troops so 4 DG units are going to be there in a normal points lists. its costs more then a termicid unit , what not only means the list lacks anti tank , but also means that there isnt enough points for stuff [maybe even not for a second LR and then its not worth taking them at all].

so in the end terminators dont make the list more killy , in fact they make the list less killy and more prone to being beaten by builds that a build with a normal set up of units wouldnt.

making them all chaimpions will give a boost to number of attacks, it would be an alternative to MoKhorne. maybe one chainfist and one pair of claws or drop the fist and take two pair of claws. i would drop the combi weapons, sure you get a shot of special weapon but only ONE shot.

maybe even drop everything and just give them all Lightning claws......

You know me, I like to toss some math-hammer out into the world and see what sticks.

With that said, lets compare twin claws vs a Combi-Weapon/Power Weapon.

Group of 5 Terminators,

Twin Claws charging MEQs = 20 attacks = 10 hits = 7.5 dead MEQs

Twin Claws charging GEQs = 20 attacks = 13 hits = 11.5 dead GEQs

Group of 5 Terminators,

Power Weapons charging MEQs = 15 attacks = 7.5 hits = 3.75 dead MEQs

Combi-Flamers shooting MEQs = 5 shots = 20 hits (on average) = 10 wounds = 3.3 dead MEQs

Power Weapons charging GEQs = 15 attacks = 10 hits = 6.7 dead GEQs

Combi-Flamers shooting MEQs = 5 shots = 20 hits (on average) = 13 wounds = 13 dead GEQs

So against infantry, you're better off using Combi-Flamers as they're both cheaper and more effective.

However the Twin Claws will come into their own if the battle lasts longer then 1-2 rounds and they are much more effective against MCs, but to be fair you wouldn't use Flamers against MCs normally.

EDIT: Values adjusted for 4 hits on average.

With the understanding that common logic is not to use Terminators as a HtH unit, but after they use up their Combi-Weapon, they still need to be semi-useful and free Power Weapons is never bad right?

So whats the best way to use them AFTER they've deployed and fried that Land Raider?

I know what I've tried but I'm looking for other people's ideas.

Agains Guard you shouldn't shoot before charging anyway, it will likely be overkill and either cause the unit to 1) break before you can charge them, 2)allow your opponent to remove enough models so that you're too far away to charge them, 3)Cause them to break the turn you charge them and leave your termies open to shooting.

If you're using termies for cc keep them cheap, give them a few combi-weapons and a chainfist. Anything else is unnecessary.

If you're using termies for cc keep them cheap, give them a few combi-weapons and a chainfist. Anything else is unnecessary.

Exactly my thought. We already bring Terminators to the table for their Combi-Meltas, but once that job's done, whats the best way to play them? My gut instinct is to try and assault something so they can put those free Power Weapons to work, but how often do you really get a chance to assault something with a deep striking squad?

Oh, you're trying to figure out how to use termicides after they use their combis?

They already can often act as a bullet magnet against those not used to facing them and thus help your rhino mounted troops get close to the enemy (one positive about having only 3 good lists, it makes giving out tactical advice easy). If they come in late in the game, then you can send them to support your other squads in cc or send them to charge enemy troops and keep them away from your troops that are claiming objectives.

They most likely won't get close enough to assault anything, but if you can cause your opponent to focus firepower on them or make an effort to avoid them, you can force your opponent off guard and derail their plans.

But if you want to use your termies as a dedicated assault unit you're gonna need a land raider, 4 or 5 man unit and chain fist maybe give the chainfist guy an upgrade to champion.

Thats pretty much what I thought Askari. Right now I use a 4 man squad, 3 Combi-Melta/Power Weapons and one Heavy Flamer/Power Fist.

The main focus of the squad is that initial deep strike, but afterwards I just move them towards something and hope for the best. With luck they can find something to smack around.

Archived